Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Just curious-anyone else do this? >

Just curious-anyone else do this?

Just curious-anyone else do this?

Old 10-12-2018, 01:04 AM

love to sew; thats an awesome idea! well that wasn't intended this past week but I did ask for fabric and all if anyone has any to give away! cool idea. yes I am ready to do my mugrugs, table toppers , and whatever else! thanks for the idea! is there a pattern for the dog bed, or is it just a pillow type thing?
Old 10-12-2018, 02:27 AM
Administrator

i have to re-organize at least two or three times a year.
i have more fabric than makes any sense at all for one person.
i often forget what i have or where i have stuffed/stashed it.

sometimes that leads to a give-away or sell-it-off-cheap purge.
sometimes it just leads to a more organized form of chaos. lol
Old 10-26-2018, 11:58 PM

i have learned to keep a sack in the livingroom where I try and add a donate item per day. I do ok but I also love to buy scraps to make dog quilts with. I have too many scraps now but I do make small easy to make dog quilts that will be used in a crate after a storm. It makes me feel good and lately I am trying very hard to use up a lot of fabrics that I have but there is just something about fabric that keeps called me. I also am trying to sell one box of fabric a month, getting older and knowing I could never use what I have accumulated but it is hard to let go of it.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:59 AM

I don’t have the volume of resources many of you have but I do like a tidy work space. I tend to clear up after myself at the end of each day - although I don’t put everything away. I work in a spare bedroom, the door is always open and it’s the first room you look into when you go upstairs so I don’t like it looking too messy.

I’ve also got this thing about leaving my work space ready for the next time I’m in there - I hate having to put things away before I can start sewing again.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:00 AM

We've been building our house and living in it the whole time. It's now been about 7 years of living in construction mode. (trust me...anyone who has build their own home will attest that this is really not such a long time...lol.) I'm finally getting down to the finishing touches in my sewing/craft room, but I have so many projects going on in there, from pillows, to window shades, to furniture repairs, to picture framing, to quilts, etc. I've gotten used to the chaos. There seams to be some genius to all this madness, but it is definitely time to finish up everything and purge, purge purge! You're giving me inspiration!

~ C
Old 11-05-2018, 12:35 AM

It is a lovely idea. I work in stages. Congratulations on keeping this ritual.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:15 AM

At the suggestion of someone on this board, I made a list of "all" the UFOs in my possession. It was the scariest thing I have ever done. The list had them numbered and it went to 12, each one was in a tub, properly labeled but it may or may not have the instructions. They are in various stages, most of them are cut out, some started to sew, but all seem to come to an abrupt halt when something didn't turn out or fit right or was too complicated for my skill level at the time.

I say all of the UFOs but in reality I got up to 12 and had a melt down. How could I possibly have a dozen unfinished quilts? The truth is....that was not "all of them". I just gave up and walked away.

Now, about 18 months later, I have better skills and have dug out several of them and I have made progress.

As far as purging: NO. I sure can't do that. I need to feel the accomplishment of finishing, using up the fabric, not to get rid of it.

One example is Allietare. The top is done. I've made the decision not to try to get it on the long arm, my hip is starting to talk to me.[ATTACH=CONFIG]603484[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20181103_084849_resized.jpg  

Last edited by Battle Axe; 11-05-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:54 AM

It is a never ending chore! I am finished making things for the annual boutique show I participate in-the show is next week-end. So, it is time to clean out and straighten up. I plan to spend next week sorting and getting rid of stuff-one way or another. I keep things relatively neat; however, neatly stored stuff can be too much stuff. I want others to get to enjoy some of it!
Old 11-05-2018, 05:27 AM

This is such a difficult concept for me that I am even having trouble writing this. When I begin a purge, the next thing that happens to me is a project pops up requiring what I'm trying to purge.

I religiously try to use my stash instead of going anywhere close to any version of available fabric/notions. I try to hold fast to the idea that if I 'use it' the shelves in my sewing room will 'lose it.'

So, does anyone have a magic hug that will fix my disease and can you send it via QB? We are a year post-hurricane that hit my sewing room first. At least the live oak hit my sewing room. Thank heaven no machines were damaged - only made really 'inside and outside' dusty when the ceiling and roof came down. Even after all that, there is a need for that magic hug. No kidding.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:34 AM

The magic hug is knowing you are making a decision. You want to keep your things. You can do that. You can also change your mind. Do what is best for you.