Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Laminate floor in sewing room

Blog Entries
    I have laminate in my sewing room also. I used to have carpet but my chair wouldn't move across the room to we so I had DH put in laminate then it got so fast I almost tipped my chair over, so what I did is I put one of those plastic office chair mats on the floor under my chair, so that when I use the floor pedal I am not going backwards in my chair.
    It is easy to clean too. What I do is I put a scrap piece of batting over a broom and use that to clean up the scraps etc. It works great

I put Woodarts laminate in my kitchen, dining, and livng room and I loved it. The floor is colder in the winter than carpet and there is some echo, but I used a rug in the center of the living room and it dampened the noise. It is not as hard on your legs as is tile. In our new to us home, there is tile in the kitchn and breakfast area. I had to put down mats in front of the sink and stove as my legs ached if I was doing alot of prep and cooking.

Blog Entries
    I have wood lamimate downstairs and the original hardwood floors upstairs. Sewing room is upstairs.Since I bought my spin mop I like my floors a lot better.I would rather have anything other than carpet in my sewing room. Pins and needles in carpet are no fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramily
    Am thinking of replacing carpet in my sewing room with laminate. if you have laminate, do you like it and what brand do you have? Thanks Emily
    love your avatar, do you have a larger pic ?

I have laminate flooring and love it. It is easy to clean and I haven't had any trouble with it. I have a very inexpensive laminate from Home Depot.

Blog Entries
    For years I admired Pergo flooring in magazines then came the time I bought Pergo's Indian Tigerwood. It's on all of my floors including the kitchen. While it has an attached underlay we added extra underlay and it's like walking on carpet.
    With a horseman who's in and out from the barn and stables, to having 2 large Border Collies following me around and also grand kids from time to time, my Pergo floors stand up to what they claim. Easy, easy clean up. So happy I have it throughout my home. :o)
    I bought mine from Lowes.

Blog Entries
    I have laminate in my kitchen and dining room and there is a heavy oak table on it in the dining room and no sign of dents in flooring no problems . It's so easy to keep clean. Don't know the name of it. Got it at Muptilpe Concepts.

I just replace carpet with the cheapest laminate in my quilt shop from Lowes.....and I'm NOT sorry!!! I love it. It's wood grain. :) :) Now I want to replace the carpet in my sewing room (the 3rd bedroom) in the house, but DH is balking. :)

Blog Entries
    I have laminate in my kitchen and dining room and there is a heavy oak table on it in the dining room and no sign of dents in flooring no problems . It's so easy to keep clean. Don't know the name of it. Got it at Muptilpe Concepts.

I have dark "engineered would though out. Love it! Is surviving pets, grand kids, my sewing mess. Can roll my piano easily too!
    Easy, quick,easy clean up...bought mine on sale thru Lumber Liquidators. :P :thumbup:

Another thing - we installed it in the bird room also. I have an African grey that I let out of his cage. He poops everywhere and for a quick clean up before mopping, I take a putty knife to the floor! I sometimes pin-baste in the LR and can feel the pins raking the floor. Pull the quilt up and not a single scratch!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I have noticed that some laminate floors are very noisy whereas others are not. Be sure to check out that aspect before purchasing a specific laminate. Not sure what causes the difference -- probably has at least something to do with the underlayment.
    You are correct. one of my sons used to do this and he said that the underlaying has a lot to do with the final floor.

We put laminate in after having carpet and really like it and it is much easier to keep clean.

we put that down in our kitchen and sun room....Love it...its VERY easy to put down compaired to laminate which we have in other rooms...love both ....it's just less headache in installation.....no tools needed excet heavy duty sizzors for cutting.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jory
    I found something that is cheaper than laminate, impervious to water, easy to install. It's called resilient vinyl flooring, the name brand is "Allure," and it's at Home Depot. It can be a DIY project: about $2.30/sq ft. All kinds of patterns, too: wood, tile, etc. I installed an oak finish in my basement, and it looks fantastic!

The planks already have the backing attached: you can install it right over concrete or underlayment.

Jory

I also have a wood Laminate floor from Lowes. I agree don't go too dark, it will also make your room look and feel smaller. I love cleaning my floor with a simple swifter. No more carpet ever in my sewing room....

I have had laminate for years and love it.
    It isnt as cold to walk on as tile and looks much better.
    I have two different ones in two different houses.
    One is very light and one is a medium. I like both.
    One is a cheaper grade and one is a step up. I dont see a difference so far in quality.

We have laminate - got rid of the carpeting - and put an area rug so we could roll with our chairs better. We love it!

Blog Entries
    I have laminate floor in my office I love it. After we pay off our mortgage I hope to save up for the laminate to go in my sewing space. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I have pergo throughout my house and I love it. You can't beat it for laying out and pinning a quilt sandwich, nothing harms the stuff! It laughs at pet messes! It just needs to be cleaned with vinegar and water to bring back the shine!

Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    I may be moving to a house with sedillo tile throughout except for the master bedroom which has laminate wood flooring. I am wondering about having my piano on the tile and my treadle machines on the laminate. Anyone have any experience with these floors. Thanks.
    I don't know about the piano,but I put floor protectors under my treadle because it's pretty heavy and I don't want to leave marks on the floor.

a regular here
    Blog Entries
    I have laminate flooring in master bedroom,2 hallways and my kitchen. I love it. It is so easy to take care of.
    Wolflady

Blog Entries
    Mine is from Home Depot (don't remember the brand) in a meduim oak color and I love it. I've dropped heavy scissors, run over pins with rollers from chair and not a scratch or dent.

Luv mine ... Have laminated bamboo throughout
    My whole condo

I have the laminate through my house except the bedrooms. It was here when we bought the house 3 years ago. I love,love, love it . Easy to see the pins I drop and the best thing is I can roll my chair from my computer,to my sewing table to my cutting board to my ironing board. Yes it would be better for me to get up and down but I am lazy! The only problem I have is getting them to shine. We have tried everything from Future wax, to stuff just for them and nothing will get a good shine on them.

I don't have laminate, some of my children do. I talked to my son the other day who does construction work, he had just installed some laminate in a kitchen that they purchased at Costco. He was very impressed with the quality. He liked it better than what he had just put in his own kitchen. I really like the look and easy care of laminate in their homes.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast