Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Laminate floor in sewing room

We built a new house and have laminate floors through out the whole house except bathrooms and kitchen.
    I lived with it for a couple of years then decided to put it in "my sewing room" in the basement.

I appreciate so much not having to run the vacuum all over my house. Maintenance is a breeze.
    There is some echo but some furniture, area rugs, and some quilts on display has helped a lot.

Chris

I found something that is cheaper than laminate, impervious to water, easy to install. It's called resilient vinyl flooring, the name brand is "Allure," and it's at Home Depot. It can be a DIY project: about $2.30/sq ft. All kinds of patterns, too: wood, tile, etc. I installed an oak finish in my basement, and it looks fantastic!

The planks already have the backing attached: you can install it right over concrete or underlayment.

Jory

We have had laminate wooden floors since 1998 and they are still in great shape. The brand is Formica. It is in two long halls, the kitchen and powder room.

We have two homes and have it in both...I put it in my kitchen in NY...I think it was Armstrong...wide board barn plank look...dark wood...love it.
    In my Bthrms I did laminate tile look...love it.
    In other hse have it in kitchen, hallways and part of LR got it thru Carpet One...Think it was also Armstrong and again no complaints...easy to clean and looks great.

Blog Entries
    I have some type of laminate in my sewing studio and I love it. It is so easy to clean and very easy on my legs when I stand alot.

I replaced my carpeting with PERGO. It is much easier to clean up after sewing,or cutting. Pins don't get stuck - are really easy to pick up with magnet. Makes a huge difference.
    Nigeria

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pergo & I love, love, love it! CLeaning is a breeze - I take a dustmop over it once a week & I'm done!

DO IT -- cleaning up is SO easy! We bought a house with hardwoods. The family before us had 2 children with extreme allergies. Carpet removal made them breath so much easier.

Just keep a broom and dustpan in the corner, and WALLLLLA clean! And you are less likely to step in pins hidden in the carpet.

Julie

We have Pergo and love it BUT have to put a rug under my sewing chair when I free moiton. Chair roll too easily.

I don't have laminate but I have cork tiles. They're 11 3/4" square. They have a coating over the surface that protects the cork from water and makes them easier to clean. Just vacuum really. I think they are quieter than laminate flooring .

We put light "maple" laminate throughout most of our house. I love it all but especially enjoy it in my sewing/craft room. Easy to clean, light and bright and not noisy at all. We bought ours from Costco and it has it's own padding/noise damping on the back. I love it!!

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    We replaced all our carpets with hard wood floors. Love them. In my sewing room I have a BellaWood product from Lumber Liquidators. I have a laminate in the master bedroom also from Lumber Liquidators. We compared pricing with Lowes & Home Depot. Found LL to have the best selection and comparable prices.

I have a two story house with laminate wood all over except for the bathrooms and i love it. Very easy to clean. My sewing room (was loft area) has a little piece of carpet that i am taking out because it catches every single thread and it annoys me. As for the sounds or cracks like others mentioned you have to spend good money on the underlay just like the laminate. Get it thick and rubbery kind of. I have had my floors for 7 years now and no problems at all.
    Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    I don't have much experience, yet. We just re-did our kitchen and dining rooms to make one larger room and we used a laminate that looks like slate tiles. m I love the look, stil getting use to the harder sound of chasirs on tile. But an area rug is going down soon. Our little dog is getting use to it too. When she runs she slides into the cabinets!! And she has a hard time getting traction. Funny to watch . Do any of you use to small steam vacs to clean your floors? My daughter does , she hasn't had any problems after 7 years.

I have wood grained laminate in my sewing room. The color is hickory and the brand is Armstrong. We got it at Lowes several years ago. Just love it. We also have the same thing in all the bedrooms and living room. Haven't had a problem.

I have laminate and have no problems, although I did have to install something that at the time was called quiet walk underneath to reduce the noise.

Now there is a newer product that also looks like wood but is actually peal and stick planks that look like laminate. Since I'm a klutz by nature and installing it on a cement slab Iím going to give it a try. If it is a durable as my peel and stick in the kitchen everything should be fine.

Good luck

I too have laminate in my sewing room. I bought the "sale" laminate at Home Depot. I LOVE it. We have tongue in grove in the rest of the upstairs and the needles, pins and threads all got caught in the groves. The laminate is not noisy - AND it is super easy to clean up threads etc. The only problem I had was my foot peddle kept sliding on it (and I am too cheap to purchase the non slip pad that you can get for foot peddles). I went to Ocean State Job Lots (like a Big Lots) and bought a cute rubber backed half circle rug about 2' in diameter for $2. Works perfectly! Good Luck

I have laminate that looks like an old fashioned plank floor - just love it.

Blog Entries
    I'm with everyone else, go for it! I have wood laminate and it makes it so easy to clean up even though I sweep 3 or 4 times a day because I am so messy with paper piecing and fusible applique. I also have laminate in the rest of my main rooms. No noise if you use the liner under the laminate.

Blog Entries
    Good topic!! I have to replace a floor soon and was wondering which laminate would be good.

I love laminate but we just installed resilient flooring that looks like wood but is completely waterbrook. I bought it at home deopt & it has a 25 year warrantly; very easy to install yourself.

I love laminate but we just installed resilient flooring that looks like wood but is completely waterbrook. I bought it at home deopt & it has a 25 year warrantly; very easy to install yourself.

I love my liminate flooring as it is so easy to keep clean. I have it through out my home. It is really nice to have when you drop pins or get threads on the floor or the kids, dogs or hubby track dirt in. I am sorry but I do not recall the brand. I have had mine for about 12 years, have lots of traffic in and out of the house and it isn't showing any wear.

I'm just smiling all the way thru reading these replies. My hubby is a Pergo "Endorsed" Master Installer. Need I say every floor in my home is Pergo? The 'hollow' sound some people have is because they did not install 'Whisper Weft' or 'Silent Step' beneath their floors. One was a thick felt-like material in sheet form and the other a 'rubbery' cushioning on a roll. Laminate that isn't installed with adhesive also sometimes has that echo. Again, products and installing techniques are not the same when described by a 'salesman'. Brad spent 2 weeks in NC learning about the system and being endorsed. A year later they invited him back to participate in the master program which means he can do special applications such as inlay designs. If you plan to install yourself, ask questions about soundproofing, gluing and underflooring. If you aren't satisfied, go elsewhere. He will not install any floor without adhesive. You're going to love your new floor!

High recommend that over carpet. I am stuck with carpet in our work area ad hardwood in my personal area. Clean up and safety is so much better on a hard floor.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast