Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My messy sewing room

I have a sewing room and a longarm room...and I spent 4 days cleaning them up and reorganizing. Those rooms had never been so clean before and do you know what? I couldn't stand it!!! I went in the sewing room yesterday and started making snap bags from my scraps and now, once again, it looks like the aftermath of a tornado...and I am comfortable once again. Wonder what a psychoanalyist would say about that???
    Michelle Guadarrama

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    I wish I was closer, I'd come work on it for you! I think you are missing a great opportunity to put your fabric on boards, like from magazine collection boards. They're about $14.00 a hundred and have organized my fabric to the point that it is just fun to look at now. Besides that, it helps you know what you have. If you don't have a way to get the boards and would like some, PM me and I will give you the information to where I get mine. He said he would ship them.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

I feel you pain, thank you for sharing Have a blessed day Ellen

aren't we all about the same when it comes to our sewing areas. i vow to keep my clean and then what happens!!!! Sewing and quilting happens. Be happy with your space and just do a little each day. UMMMMMMMMMMMMM guess I need to follow my own advice. LOL
    Pat
    Patsy

Do a little organizing every day and it will get better. I work and work and work on my mess, but it never seems to get much better. It is just better organized.

I like the idea of the wire shelving all around the room but probably too expensive for me right now - I will probably just end up using what I have and try to downsize somewhat (even though I hate to do that) - what can I say - I just love fabric - I love looking at it, touching it, dreaming of what I could make with it and bringing more home with me. My obsession!!
    KSue

Don't think it looks bad....I still see carpeting....LOL

Blog Entries
    I had a lady tell me when I asked about organizing fabric she said just use it up that was the best way to organize make quilts

The thing I've found is to have someone help who has a organized room !!! Wow , what a difference , we marked on paper and made a hole to put over old style pant hangers ! Folded fabric over 1 and 1/2 yard and hung in the closet on the old style pants hangers . then fabric under 1 and 1/2 we folded same size as clear plastic boxes and attached a sticky note with how much fabric . and then cut all scraps into sizes would need down the road and have project clear plastic boxes. and a over the door shoe plastic holder that holds msc stuff . But now you'd think I could find everything ?! not. but it all looks superb ! have fun and oh I took over our guest room too , moved the bed around and took all my clothes sewing , patterns etc in there and dh put up hard folding table with bed risers under to raise it for cutting !! Ironing board stays up and no one ever uses the 2 dressers so I do now !!!! Yay and amen. have fun ! also have a wire shelving unit ( usually used in garage) for shelving. Neat Neat Neat !!!!
    Last edited by tutty; 06-06-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: more to add !

I'm in the same mess. I decided to switch closets for my material and scrapping as I have both in the same room. Now to do that I have to go through both, sort, clean out, get rid of and in the instance of my material I am taking my scraps and cutting into squares and making kits for future sewing.

Have fun. Think we are all from the same cloth.

Thank you for sharing. My sewing room is messy as well (sigh) and I can't even begin to walk in there....we cleaned out the garage and took a trip to get a son from college...so some clothing from the garage made its way to my sewing room so I could cut it up and we have extra people in the house so I don't have time to tidy. I can't get nothing done!!!!I will have to take photo's so you don't feel so bad....I hope you are getting project done!!!

I actually like your sewing space, your'e right about putting things in clear bags or clear plastic bins, this way you could see what you have when you are trying to find things.
    will quilt 4EVER

Well....it is not yet organized. But I did buy some of those backer boards - I have folded 50 and my back is hurting and to be quite honest I would rather be working on a project. But....like other members have said "a little at a time" - I guess that is what I will have to do, but I am impatient and want it done NOW. It will take me awhile because I have moved a lot out into the dining room just to free up some space to work and have just worked on getting the shelves organized and I still have all my scraps to cut and organize. Ugh!!! why do I do this to myself. Sue
    KSue

Blog Entries
    This is what I call organized disorganization! It doesn't matter what we think--what you do with all of your treasures tells it's own story. Not everyone can create in the same environment. Looks like you do just fine!

Why yes!! I hope someone besides me will be brave enough to show their sewing room. I actually thought if I posted my mess that it would force me into cleaning it up. So far it has worked but it is really a slow process. These boards are making the fabric look nice, but very time consuming. We shall see how long it will last.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hoover View Post
    Thank you for sharing. My sewing room is messy as well (sigh) and I can't even begin to walk in there....we cleaned out the garage and took a trip to get a son from college...so some clothing from the garage made its way to my sewing room so I could cut it up and we have extra people in the house so I don't have time to tidy. I can't get nothing done!!!!I will have to take photo's so you don't feel so bad....I hope you are getting project done!!!
    KSue

I love the wire shelving idea! I moved into my 14' X 24' quilting shed several months back and I'm already having trouble finding a place for everything! My DH insisted on putting a recliner in there so he could "visit" me. I love having him come out from time to time, but that recliner sure takes up a lot of space. I need to just take some time to go through all the stuff that is sitting in the floor and find a place for it. I need to remove the diagonal legs on my cutting table (JoAnns) and put legs on the corners so I would have more storage under that on either side. I had started sorting scraps, but making quilts got in the way. I did ruler-fold all my fabric and I use the clear plastic shoe boxes to store all my fat quarters. Organizing my fabric has kept me from having to buy much fabric so far this year. I've made a number of quilts from my stash. By the way, I sat down at my cutting board to fold fabric...saves your back!

I noticed your floor is still visible and the room looks clean, so it really just needs some organization. The plastic containers in different sizes are really helpful and look much neater than shopping bags. And you can buy them a few at a time and they won't bust your budget. Your room looks bright and cheerful and I love your red wall! The other idea that struck me was putting hooks under the cutting table to hang your rulers! I may try that one, too.

well, my theory is, you can't cook without dirtying the dishes.
    My room is still in the finishing stages, it's new
    But, with the old one, if it got messy, I couldn't create, so i developed the habit of cleaning a little ever few days.
    Like somebody else said, I've seen far worse than yours.
    You just need some refolding or comic boards and you'll be looking spiffy
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Okay, I have folded over 200 boards of fabric and have another 100 boards left. What a project! I would have never gotten much done if I only devote 1/2 hr. a day toward my mess. So I decided to just fold and rest, fold and rest. It is getting there and already looking much neater but definitely still a work in progress. I will post pics (if they will load) once all completed. Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice - Ksue
    KSue

Your room is not alone....mine is a mess too. I have fabrics that I want to use in a quilt I am working on but I can't find it. Time to organize AGAIN!
    Fat Quarters have fewer calories than a Hot Fudge Sundae!
    http://debsquiltsandthings.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    creative clutter,...it is just FINE...

I understand totally, what is it about getting the room cleaned up and then it is messed up in what seems like seconds? I put fabric on over 100 boards recently and petered out and hadn't got back to it! Got another 100 to go and that is my limit, so I tell myself. I got to get better organize first.

I'm far too ashamed to post pics of my work area.....but I am getting there....with the help of plastic containers, shelving and a label-maker! I have a few WIP that are creating the most mess...I try and keep to the motto JUST DO IT...think I'll write it on the back of my hand to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I was ashamed to let everyone know what a mess I worked in also, but it has helped me because I found lots of good ideas from other board members plus I knew I had to JUST DO IT.

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    I'm far too ashamed to post pics of my work area.....but I am getting there....with the help of plastic containers, shelving and a label-maker! I have a few WIP that are creating the most mess...I try and keep to the motto JUST DO IT...think I'll write it on the back of my hand to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I am still going through, sorting, cleaning out, getting rid of stuff. And my scrap pile just keeps getting bigger and bigger but I am also going to cut it into squares for the future....I just need more hours...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammy11 View Post
    I'm in the same mess. I decided to switch closets for my material and scrapping as I have both in the same room. Now to do that I have to go through both, sort, clean out, get rid of and in the instance of my material I am taking my scraps and cutting into squares and making kits for future sewing.

Have fun. Think we are all from the same cloth.

Believe it or not, you don't have enough storage space which is why boxes are piled on boxes. There's nowhere to put anything. Mismatched bookcases don't help...it's more confusion added to the picture.
    One thing that might help is for you to buy two small dressers about 30" high and place a long finished piece of plywood across the top. Pad that plywood with batting, pick out some fabric you LOVE and cover the batting with that. Staple in place. You now have a long surface where you can iron, lay things out and store projects in the drawers below.
    Also, go to Walmart and buy boxes that are about 2 " deep and about 12 or 13 " long. I think they sell for about $3.99 each. Use one for each project you're working on and then stack them on a bookshelf on top of one another for your UFO stack. Just some thoughts...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast