Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Quilting and sewing room. >

Quilting and sewing room.

Quilting and sewing room.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Default Quilting and sewing room.

I have finally decided to have my garage remodeled for my quilting machine.....it has been sitting in my dining room for almost 3 years and I can't take the clutter any more! Main purpose of the remodel is for my long arm. Common sense tells me move it all and make it my quilting and sewing room, but my gut says wait.......I am just curious how others feel and do you have everything combined? I want this to look nice.....or as nice as I can with fabric and supplies every where! Hubby says put it all in one room. I am quilting and sewing saturated with every gadget, ruler and thread under the sun!

Last edited by Katn; 03-01-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 PM

I agree with DH, if you can, get it all in one place. Saves you from running from one room to another. I have found if I am with my LA I usually have to make 2-3 trips into the other room for something. Or am with my domestic machine it's the other way around. sounds like you would have lots of room to hang up rulers, gadget's and thread. it would be nice to just shut the door on any clutter you may be working in. LOL You could add cabinet to store your fabric in, a nice large cutting table, the possibilities are endless. Have fun! Take pictures and let us see!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:10 PM

If I had the space I would love to have my LA and sewing studio all together in one space. My sewing room (our home office) is only 10 x 13 with no closet so the LA had to go in one end of the finished basement. I would have moved everything down there but the rest of the family uses it (the big TV is down there along with the exercise room and the computer desks. I knew that my sewing room out in the open would make the space look cluttered and crowded. But if I could have one whole dedicated space that no one else needed to use, I would sure put everything in one room. I say go for it!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I have one large space, longarm kind of centered, then one end fabric shelves, book shelves, dresser, table holding bobbin winder, longarm supplies. Other end of room sewing machine, cutting table, ironing board, design wall, light table, small dresser with templates, tools, rulers, etc. And more book/ fabric shelves.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:37 PM

I agree with the others that it would make your life easier if you put everything in one room, one place. As you are moving and combining your spaces and need to purge some of your excess, I would be thrilled to accept some of the overflow. HeeHee!!
Enjoy the journey as you begin this thrilling process. Congratulations! Sounds like you have a wonderful and supportive Hubby.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:06 AM

I would love to have a garage converted to my very own sewing center. It would be so much better then having it mostly in one room and branching out into the dining and living rooms. OK this weeks plan is to get a couple projects done to be able to de-clutter Have fun with the transformation and your new area.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 AM

All in one room--you can do it! Think vertically as well as well as horizontally for storage. You have the advantage of space to change things around if they don't suit you, so establishing where to put the LA will make everything else easier, I'm guessing. Make sure to have lots of electrical outlets and good lighting. Our garage would sorely lack those as is. The cool thing about moving into a new space is the "clean canvas" excitement. Happy setting up!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

The only thing I worry about with the garage is does it need heat and A/C?? Is it mouse proof??
Old 03-02-2015, 05:58 AM

My dear husband helped me turn our double stall garage into my quilting space...It is awesome. It is an attached garage, finished inside with heat etc. It is above grade so the windows provide great light during the day, at night just turn the overhead lights on and you are good to sew until the cows come home. The transition was not difficult at all - we painted the floor - and the pegboard - wiped down the walls. There is plenty of room for my longarm as well as my sewing machines. I have had 3 women sharing this space to quilt and sew- it is so much fun!! I am still in the process of moving the final pieces into my quilt garage, this was one of the best things that I could have done-- to be able to quilt and sew in this space is fantastic!! If you can do this I say go for it!!!! Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:31 AM

Yes, I'd rather have it all in one place if possible. I'm using my basement now and though its actually 2 rooms I had them put another doorway at the opposite end since I couldn't remove the center wall to make it one room (load bearing wall). This way I can enter either room from both ends. I placed my machines.........2 embroidery, 2 sergers and 1 quilt machine in one room along with all the threads for each machine on pegboards nearest the machine its used for. Also have a couple bookcases filled with dress fabrics in the same room as I don't use it as much. The other room has the design wall, cutting table and all quilting type fabrics plus a pegboard filled with quilting notions, rulers, etc. My pressing station is always up too. This works for me and as I can't sit for a long period or stand for a long period this gives me a little space to walk back and forth..........maybe 20 feet between sewing machine and pressing station. That's about all the exercise I get each day unless I have to venture out to shovel snow these days.