Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ruler storage

Blog Entries

Ruler storage

I've been noticing a few of the others are mis-placing/losing things just as I am. At a recent quilt show I found these little helpers. I bought two and one has a better angle than the other. But now I can put that ruler back where I can find it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice ruler stands.

I love those. Yours is made out of very pretty wood. JoAnn Fabrics sells something like that and I've purchased 3 of them with my % off coupons. But, yours is a work of art! Beautiful.

Love this idea.

Blog Entries
    I would probably need 6 of those LOL!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

great for storing (and finding) our rulers.

Seems to me that large rulers would warp over time after being stored like this.

i have one of those on my cutting table & all the other 'odd' ones i have hanging on cuphooks strategically placed on the wall behind my cutting space...when i move i will have some different 'patchwork' to do...your stand is nicely made...isnt it nice when things arent scattered all over...that will be my new years pledge...

Several years ago my Dad made me one of these. I use it for some of my odd rulers & templates without hanging holes. The others I like to hang on the wall.

I was blessed in that my brother made me 2 for my rulers. He loves working with wood.

I have one something like yours that I got at Joanns, except the slots go the length of the board and it only holds 5 big rulers or I can double up on the smaller rulers. Works good though

Quote Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
    Seems to me that large rulers would warp over time after being stored like this.
    looking at the pic, that's my first thought too! I have 3 table top ruler/template holders- for my everyday usables (JAF).......templates I don't use often hang on a pegboard wall with much "other" stuff.......

I put my rulers on Command hooks wherever I can find space (inside closet door, end of cabinets); however, the hooks keep falling down. I guess I need stronger hooks.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm using a couple large desk sorters right now. I got a wooden one at Joann's and returned it. just didn't like it. Got a store credit for some fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by annette1952 View Post
    Several years ago my Dad made me one of these. I use it for some of my odd rulers & templates without hanging holes. The others I like to hang on the wall.
    I have found that templates drill very easy. I have put holes in most of mine. If any rough edge sands easily.

Blog Entries
    I bought one of these ruler storage slots. After a while my longer rulers started bending with the weight. These are not good for your bigger rulers. I still haven't found anything to keep my big rulers in or on. If anyone has any ideas about storing the bigger rulers I would love to know, as I am sure lots of quilters would like to know also. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes the bigger rulers do warp. Not good for anything bigger the 6-8 inches

your ruler holder is very nice. The husband of a good friend made me one that I use for my longarm templetes; then I have a file folder holder that sits on a bookcase and holds all my cutting rulers. It is nice to have a place for everything.

I used an old pair of jeans to make a holder that works for all my rulers. I cut one leg short and stitched up the bottom, this part holds my long rulers. Then I added some more pockets (made from the other leg) to hold the smaller rulers. My big squaring up rulers and my large crosshair marking template live in the waist. I slipped a square dowel through the belt loops on the back and hung it on the wall that way. I now have two of these and they work great to hold all my measuring rulers and templates. They're not pretty, but they get the job done and it's easy to find the ruler I'm looking for.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I had one of the wooden slot holders but gifted to a friend who was anxious to have one. My smaller rulers fit in a slot in my desk and the larger ones I store in a magazine rack... not pretty...but functional.

haha just read the post above mine.... and see that not pretty is a common thread!

Can we get a picture pretty please.

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    I used an old pair of jeans to make a holder that works for all my rulers. I cut one leg short and stitched up the bottom, this part holds my long rulers. Then I added some more pockets (made from the other leg) to hold the smaller rulers. My big squaring up rulers and my large crosshair marking template live in the waist. I slipped a square dowel through the belt loops on the back and hung it on the wall that way. I now have two of these and they work great to hold all my measuring rulers and templates. They're not pretty, but they get the job done and it's easy to find the ruler I'm looking for.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
    Can we get a picture pretty please.
    Okay, here are pics. As promised they're not pretty but they get the job done. The biggest ruler that's in the waist is my 16"x16" squaring up ruler (the red one behind the other rulers).

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, that might help condense my mess, my sewing is in a very small room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
    Thanks, that might help condense my mess, my sewing is in a very small room.
    Mine too, and I have very little wall space which is why I needed something that I could hang in front of windows!

If you want one that's pretty, check out Nancy's Notions- they have a pattern for sale that uses old jeans to make hanging storage for various things.

Rob
    Last edited by rryder; 01-25-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added info

Very pretty! My husband made one for me but the grooves run length-wise.
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast