Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Room Overhaul

Beautiful space to work in.

Wow it all looks so nice - great job!

Blog Entries
    What a fabulous room. Great job!!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

I would use that Horn Cabinet all closed up like the second picture. I do not have room for anything. I have about 6 sewing machines and only space for two that take turns getting used.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I particularly like the fact that you have your 2 sewing machines and a serger set up and ready to go.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

I like everything about your sewing space...you did a fantastic job of organizing it. Thank you for the info on where you found the items...especially the door idea. Does any door work with the hardware that makes it slide?

Quote Originally Posted by Innov8R View Post
    I particularly like the fact that you have your 2 sewing machines and a serger set up and ready to go.
    This was something that I really wanted to achieve. Set up and break down is just another deterrent to work on something.

Quote Originally Posted by copycat View Post
    I like everything about your sewing space...you did a fantastic job of organizing it. Thank you for the info on where you found the items...especially the door idea. Does any door work with the hardware that makes it slide?
    Yes, I bought a barn door rail set from Amazon. They are also available at home improvement stores, but they are closer to $150 vs $40-100 on Amazon.

This is a 6ft rail (any larger wouldn't have fit). Because the holes didn't line up to the studs, we had to install a board behind the rail that was fastened with lag bolts to the studs. Then, installed the rail to the board. If you order a rail, make sure you pay attention to the weight capacity. The old solid doors can weigh a lot.

Wonderful sewing space. I could spend many happy hours in there. Happy sewing.

Blog Entries
    I would have put the cabinet in the space u have for ur serger too. Extra storage in plus bigger area for sewing w serger

Blog Entries
    I know I commented before. But, I just love looking at small sewing areas. I am lucky, I have an enclosed 7 x 20 ft room all to myself. But, there is just something about the creativity of small rooms. You've used your vertical space beautifully. And, I love the unusual ways you've repurposed different vintage objects like the wire basket for your tools. And, repurposing a rolling toolbox for your cutting table, genius!! The sliding barn door, not only decorative, but, perfect for hanging storage, again, genius!! I just love your work space. When you sort your lighting issues, it will be the perfect sewing room.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

That looks like a fun room to sew in.

As we are about to get back in our house after hurricane Harvey flooded us over a year ago, we have found something that works for us as far as lighting. We really like the bright color of light from LED bulbs we have found. Home Depot carries some that are labeled bright instead of soft or some such wording. I am not at my house so canít check the box. I think daylight bulbs would give a similar effect. The light is cooler than the yellowed color from old incandescent bulbs or ďsoftĒ light bulbs. We noticed as we were trying to match backsplash to kitchen counters. It really makes a big difference to both my husband and to me. It is a simple thing to try.

I love my small house, I can keep it clean without being a slave to it. Gives me more time for other enjoyable things in life, like sewing, reading a book and having friends in for a coffee or soup. Life is good !

Every time my DH and I shop at Costco I stop and ponder that tool chest for a storage and/or a cutting table in my sewing area. So glad to see that it's working well for you! Time to seriously considering re-arranging my space and 'fit it in'.

Your room is so well organized, wonderfully functional and very inviting - happy sewing Of course, my eye was immediately drawn to your Juki - I sure enjoy my TL2200.

Christine
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Such a lovely and well organized room. I am sure you will really enjoy it.

I have ave been using the heck out of the tool chest the last few weeks and I must say that it is working out great! My only complaint is the top is a bit slippery, so my mat was wondering on me. To allieviate that, I placed one ruler sticky dot right in the center back and it did the trick. I don’t notice it while I am cutting and it keeps everything in place. The 18”x24” mat fits perfectly on it. I have enough room to keep 2 mats side by side for longer cuts. A warning, it’s heavy! It was a challenge to get it in the house. Once we had it in and the wheels on it, rolling it around was a snap.

i love my Juki so much. One of my favorite purchases! I picked it up on eBay from a woman that had to step away from sewing, so it wasn’t used for very long. Such a workhorse and a joy to see on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
    Every time my DH and I shop at Costco I stop and ponder that tool chest for a storage and/or a cutting table in my sewing area. So glad to see that it's working well for you! Time to seriously considering re-arranging my space and 'fit it in'.

Your room is so well organized, wonderfully functional and very inviting - happy sewing Of course, my eye was immediately drawn to your Juki - I sure enjoy my TL2200.

Christine

Your room is wonderful!! It's great to have a picture of it all neat and tidy haha!

Love your room! Itís beautiful! And I really love your cutting station.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by maudeflanagan View Post
    The Horn cabinet fits my machines, but would not fit some of the larger ones that are common today. The reason I can't keep that cabinet is because I don't have anywhere to fit it. I currently own 3 sewing cabinets/table and I only have use and room for 1 of them in the space. The Parson's sewing table is the most efficient use of space, so that is the one I am keeping. Anyone in NW Ohio/SE MI need a cabinet?

Attachment 600834
    Attachment 600835
    I am actually in SW Ohio but my daughter lives in NW Ohio (Archbold, about an hour west of Toledo) and we travel there somewhat frequently. Are you still looking for someone to give this cabinet to? I just started quilting a few months ago and I'm addicted. :-) I'm currently turning part of our "grandkids" bedroom into a sewing room. I would Love to make use of this beauty! Please let me know. I'm pretty new to this board so not sure how private messaging works, but if it's an option, please feel free to use it. Thanks for looking.
    Lisa
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-27-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I love your sewing room. It looks so inviting and what fun to go in there and sew away for yourself. I sew on my dining room table and everything has to be put away to the family can eat dinner together. Enjoy your room when all of the lighting and such gets done.

Blog Entries
    I only wish I was as organized. I have the space considering the custom room. My problem is the more space I make the more I want to fill and it seems to over flow into other areas.

I love your space. Itís well planned and tidy. Great job!

Your room is wonderful and so cozy looking! Thank you for the tour... i have learned so much from seeing how others get the most of their space and so appreciate your willingness to share what works for you!

It has taken me a long time, but i think i finally have things organized in my ďHappy PlaceĒ the way i like them! My sewing room is one of the spare bedrooms that used to belong to one of my sons - its not big - but its mine! Oh yes, and itís painted Lilac!

After measuring everything i had within an inch of its life and moving things around like a Rubiks Cube i finally came up with an arrangement that doesnt feel so cramped and even has room for my quilting buddy to sew with me comfortably. Cant wait till i retire and can use it more!

I think you have used your space very well the only I would change for me is to turn your sewing table around facing out, I like to see all my stuff while I'm sewing.I have missed matched furniture too,but as long as it works it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by vickiehornback; 07-09-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you put them up high so you donít have to try to be a pretzel to plug or unplug a cord. Thatís what I did in my studio remodel. It was a garage at one time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast