Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Room Overhaul

Sewing Room Overhaul

So I have a small house with small rooms, one of which is my sewing room. It's ~9.5'x10' but spacious enough to have a nice sewing room. I had to play with furniture arrangement a lot to get things in a workable configuration. There are still some things to do. We will be adding overhead lighting to the room to replace the switched outlet that was so popular when the house was built. We will also be replacing all of the outlets/covers.

Peeking into the door:
    Name:  44559950751_3b3cec6b7f_b.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  193.2 KB

Machines and Table:
    Name:  30689545928_8095cc56f6_b.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  432.2 KB

Closet and Serger:
    Name:  43650372755_86d84d77b8_b.jpg
Views: 2136
Size:  201.2 KB

Cutting Station:
    Name:  30689544298_800b1eb2ec_b.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  321.4 KB

The lighting isn't great at the moment, so the images are a little gloomy. I have a lot of lamps in the workspaces, but the overall illumination of the room is not great. All of the furniture is mix and match. The sewing table is a vintage Parsons 2 machine table I got at an estate sale. The serger table is an old manicure station that I picked up at a yard sale. The cube storage shelves are from Target. My cutting station is a tool chest from Costco. It has wheels, so I can easily roll it to the center of the room if I need. One of my favorite things about the room is the rolling door for the closet. It's nice because I don't have to open the door into the room and take up floor space. The door was purchased at my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore for a whole $5. The window was broken out, so I replaced it with peg board.

Love your sewing area! It looks well planned and thought out. The rolling door is the perfect solution for your closet. And that cutting station is so cool. Is it higher than your sewing table? I have a hard time cutting on anything lower than kitchen counter height. Enjoy your new space!

This is such a nice inviting room!! I too have mismatched furniture....if it was laying by the curb, it became mine. I don't have a camera to take pictures, but FREE is my modus opperendi. If you don't want it, I do. I'm slowly purging my stash, and will be putting stuff out by the curb again for others to use. I'm getting out of the sewing industry. Enjoy your work area.
    Use your smile to change the world, but don't let the world change your smile.

Blog Entries
    looks terrific
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Oh, what a cozy and well arranged space. I love your furniture. It sounds like the lighting changes will make it perfect for you.

Power Poster
    ​It looks just about perfect to me!

Quilter 53:

Yes, the cutting station is kitchen counter height. That was a must for me when I was shopping for a cutting table/station.

grmamrtha1:

Free or cheap is always nice. I also have been using the new room arrangement to purge things I don't use. I have a lot of fabric my mother gave me before she passed. A lot of it is the type I won't use like yards and yards of courdoroy and heavyweight fabrics. I ended up donating it to Goodwill. I know there are many crafters/sewers that use Goodwill as a source of their fabrics. One thing that I haven't been able to donate is my Horn cabinet. It's from the 1990s, so the machine opening is smaller than what Horn currently offers, but I wish I knew someone directly that I could give it to.

Thanks QuiltnNan, lots2do, and Tartan

Your sewing room looks great!
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Power Poster
    Looks nice - and well planned out.

You've really used you space well. I love the rolling door on the closet. I grew up in a house that had a pocket door between the kitchen and dining room. I always thought that was such a good idea. No door to get in the way.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Wow, you have really done an efficient job of setting up your sewing room. It all looks tidy organized, easy to access. I know what you mean about lighting. If it weren't for the two big windows in my sewing room, it'd always be gloomy. I have to use lots of lamps when the sun goes down. The builder of these home didn't install any overhead lighting except in the kitchen. Guess he figured he wasn't the one who had to live with it.

You have created a beautiful and organized sewing room. Love the cutting table. Would the horn cabinet fit in the serger space?

Enjoy your sewing room!

What a great sewing room & you've really arranged it well for use. I love, the rolling door & wish I had one in my room. I have a perfect closet for one & when it was rolled shut it could reveal my design wall & when open it would hide the design wall. Also love that tool chest from Costco for your cutting station. Thanks for inviting us into your room.

Great job organizing your space for maximum efficiency. I love that closet door too.

I have a 5 light floor lamp next to my sewing cabinet. Without it I couldn't see much of anything from the 4 light ceiling light.

Your room looks perfect for sewing.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    What a neat and tidy space! I wish I could keep my area so neat. Thanks for sharing.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    What a neat and tidy space! I wish I could keep my area so neat. Thanks for sharing.
    It's only tidy because I haven't really dug in and started working. The only thing I have been working on in the room is a mostly finished boom swap quilt. I anticipate a mess starting once I get into a fresh project.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    You have created a beautiful and organized sewing room. Love the cutting table. Would the horn cabinet fit in the serger space?

Enjoy your sewing room!
    The Horn cabinet is much larger than the serger table I currently have. I would lose my spot for the batting roll and trash can.

Blog Entries
    Very nice arrangement...you certainly put a lot of things into consideration to make it work for you. I love the collection of cabinets and work tables.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Looks very adequate. I like how you repurposed items to put your sewing machines on and your cutting area. Enjoy!

I think you have done a really good job figuring out where everything should go. Enjoy your space!

Do you have a "mechanically minded carpenter friend" who could enlarge the opening? I would try that first.

Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    Do you have a "mechanically minded carpenter friend" who could enlarge the opening? I would try that first.
    The Horn cabinet fits my machines, but would not fit some of the larger ones that are common today. The reason I can't keep that cabinet is because I don't have anywhere to fit it. I currently own 3 sewing cabinets/table and I only have use and room for 1 of them in the space. The Parson's sewing table is the most efficient use of space, so that is the one I am keeping. Anyone in NW Ohio/SE MI need a cabinet?

Name:  42751055900_2d5d6f7de7_c.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  43841573674_6aceec4a1b_c.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  106.8 KB

I love your sewing room. I too have a small space and I enjoy only having a step or two to get from one station to the next. Your closet door is the perfect solution for your space. For overhead lighting I choose 2-blub fluorescent light fixtures (3 of them). We don't have them hard wired to a switch yet but plan to do that soon. I like that the fluorescent lights don't cast shadows like incandescent lights. Oh I almost forgot to say how much I like your cutting table also. I hope you have many hours of creative fun in your awesome space.
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

What a beautiful space to create in!
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind!
    Help protect your children, be honest about all medical problems and family medical history!

Beautiful sewing space!! I love everything about it! Enjoy.
    Denise

You do not simply stumble upon the happy life.....you make it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast