Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Utter Clutter makes me Mutter!

Quote Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
    Zo: You've had a good reason not to do some things. The grandbabies.

I feel your pain. SO 2018 was my year of "COMPLETION", like in UFO's. Quilts sandwiched but not quilted. etc. AND more fabric than the law should allow. I'm a "SABLE" kind of gal. I got 11 quilts quilted. But the fabric..I stopped buying anything I could. Then started printing patterns I wanted to make etc. Matched them w/fabric AND CUT THE PARTS & binding strips. Put the parts w/printed pattern in very large baggies and got a separate clear bin to stand them upright in. I'm amazed at how many "quilt kits" can fit in one of those suckers. Really helped settle the herd of pile. Any leftover from the quilt kit was stripped out or put in baggie for the free table at guild. The Key is to keep working at it and keep a list on your fridge of "completed" projects. YOU CAN DO IT.
    Oh, yes, my grandbabies occupy my every waking thought, almost! But since they don't actually LIVE here, I can't really pin the blame for my mess on them. LOL I'm so happy you've made good on your UFO resolve. KEeping a log of Completed Projects is a great idea--keeps you motivated, I'm sure. Too easy to keep focusing on what we still have to do and not pausing to take a moment to celebrate the accomplishments.

Is there another seat available on the yellow bus because I need at least a roundtrip ticket. The only time my sewing room looks good is when I'm not doing a darn thing in there. Open that fabric storage closet door and all bets are off. Brought a table in for needed work and organizational space and all I do is load it up high with fabrics, kits, etc.

Utter clutter described my Diva Den too. So I decided to purge a bit. I had an empty guest bedroom to use....no one coming to stay. It hasn't been used in more than 6 months.
    I could drag things into it & sort through them, then only move back the things I wanted to keep in there. It was working so well. Really. I had lots moved into the bedroom. I was on a roll... just beginning to sort.
    Yes. You guessed right. My brother called. He wanted to come visit. That means stay....for about 2 weeks. Until after Christmas. That room is always his when he comes.
    So....everything went back to the Diva Den.
    Now, there are 2 decorative little signs hanging on the Diva Den door:

1. Quilting fills my days. And my closets. And the dining room and the space under the bed(s), and behind the couch...

and

2. This room will not tidy itself, so let's just close the door.

Santa should just stay out or I will end up on the naughty list. Again.

FYI: Retirement means you actually have less time to do the things you've been putting off until you retire..not more. The good thing is, you can still put them off a bit longer.

Occasionally I use Flylady's "27 thing fling boogie" and get rid of 27 things at once. I start with obvious trash. (I count a handful of trash as 1 thing, not every scrap of fabric, pin, or wad of thread.) Then I find things to donate. When I get to 27, I pat myself on the back. Sometimes it's enough momentum to keep going; other times it puts the needed brakes on overwhelm. Either way, it's another smart game I play when I don't know where to start.

Oh, and I move clockwise around the room so I can see where I've been. Visual progress is motivational.

Oh, y'all, I am so with you!! I have stuff everywhere! As you heard before from me, I have big bins, medium size bins, small bins... shelves, totes, boxes, stacks on the floor, tables, closets, etc. all over the 2nd floor of my house! It looks like a couple of dump trucks unloaded their loads here.

But, I joined the fabric moratorium last Feb. and was so super good, I now have a patch of floor in my spare bedroom that I can see the carpet!! Yipee!

In an attempt to organize I tried cutting squares, sorting by colors, etc., but that only created new stacks,.. So I decided to stop buying any fabric at all and sew quilts like a crazy lady! Mostly baby and kids quilts for donation. ... And will join the 2019 moratorium as soon as possible!

Let's all sign up and encourage each other!
    Last edited by SillySusan; 12-20-2018 at 12:00 AM.

I usually set aside one day a week (usually Sunday) to straighten up my sewing area, put everything back in it's place, and cut scraps. I like to bounce between projects, so I pick out two projects to work on for the upcoming week, at least one of which has to be a UFO. Knowing where everything is supposed to be and what I am going to work on has helped a lot, and my scrap pile is slowly getting smaller.

I have tamed my stuff; however, I have too much of it. I plan to give at least 10% of it away to my guild (children's fabric in particular) and to the senior center. There is a group of ladies who quilt there every Monday. (I wish I could join them but I just have 'too many irons in the fire'. I plan to line up my UFO's and make a schedule for the year. If I don't get them done (one way or another) I will give them away at the end of the year. We also have books, antiques, dishes, etc. in our house that we have loved over the years; but, our kids (guys) don't want in the future. So, I plan to purge. I just don't want to be responsible for this stuff anymore.

I can totally relate. I am in for a major purge in the new year. I either have to use some of this older fabric, or just pass it along. I'm a scrap lover, so I have little bits that I've saved... even after making a couple of log cabin quilts using strips as small as 1.5". I EPP with squares as small as 2" and save bits smaller with intention of making a Ticker Tape Parade quilt. Did I mention I have 20+ quilts in progress ? I need to buckle down and work on some finishes.

Blog Entries
    Best thing I ever bought was a Brother P-touch labeler. Now everything has a place and there is a label on it's tub.

How about everyone's books? Do you file them by author's last name? Do you file them by subject: i.e. Bargello, stars, baby, etc. I'm on "Mylibrarything" and my list says I have a book, but I do not remember seeing it or buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Best thing I ever bought was a Brother P-touch labeler. Now everything has a place and there is a label on it's tub.

How about everyone's books? Do you file them by author's last name? Do you file them by subject: i.e. Bargello, stars, baby, etc. I'm on "Mylibrarything" and my list says I have a book, but I do not remember seeing it or buying it.
    Love those labelers and even bought a second one! Did you know there is lime green and also pink tapes for them?

I use Evernote for list. It works across different platforms, i[ad, phone or PC. I keep list of EMB threads, rulers, stabilizers listed so it's easy to check.

Oh gosh I am with you all 100%. About a week ago, I started pulling my sewing room apart because I'm tired of not being able to find what I need, when I need it. I'm using an inventory spreadsheet to keep track of exactly WHAT I have and WHERE it is. Hopefully that will help.

I will be doing a cleanup right after Christmas. I spent this year trying to complete UFOs. Unfortunately, I discovered that some of them were in the pile, because they really donít suit me. Thus, they became tops. This year, they will become donation quilts. Whenever I work on two or more projects at a time, the tornado comes through my room. I enjoy quilting much more without the clutter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
    I can totally relate. I am in for a major purge in the new year. I either have to use some of this older fabric, or just pass it along. I'm a scrap lover, so I have little bits that I've saved... even after making a couple of log cabin quilts using strips as small as 1.5". I EPP with squares as small as 2" and save bits smaller with intention of making a Ticker Tape Parade quilt. Did I mention I have 20+ quilts in progress ? I need to buckle down and work on some finishes.
    Oh this sounds like me!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Does anyone else get too overwhelmed with too much stuff- specifically fabric? I do and it thwarts my creativity.

It's not hoarding, if your stuff is cool.

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    It's not hoarding, if your stuff is cool.

Watson
    I totally agree, Watson!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

A few months ago I asked my sewing group for help with strips because I wanted to make the boxes of strings top from our tutorials. I got a wonderful response and finished my top. (Pic #1 can't seem to figure out how to post a pic and then write between it and the next)

But then I had all these strips left and I could not just put them in the bag for dog bed stuffing. I really need the 'mindless sewing' sometimes. I have now completed a lap sized top for our president's challenge (can't show it because our Prez is a member ) and am working on these blocks for a charity quilt. (Pic #2) The problem is trying to get a handle on all the various lengths and widths of strips. Right now they are in a pile on my table and I just grab and pull. Not the best system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Normally I work on one project at a time. (The exception is, if I take a class, then I have two "live" projects). I do not empty my trash can until the last stitch of the binding is done. There have been too many times I have had to dig through the trash to find "a piece just big enough for that one spot". :-). I'm sure you know what I mean.

I agree! I am. NOT a stasher so that is good. I DO have projects in waiting....I have been purging the plastic storage these last few years. Storage ....OUT of sight...out of mind...not a good thing. Still...there is room for improvement.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

My sewing room got fairly organized this past year, but my problem (well, ONE of my problems!) is that I have so many projects going at once. I have can't seem to work on just one project, so I have one thing on my wall, another on this table, another on that table, and so on. I feel like I need a better system for housing UFOs and WIP. But if I store them, I am not convinced I will return to them and actually complete them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
    My sewing room got fairly organized this past year, but my problem (well, ONE of my problems!) is that I have so many projects going at once. I have can't seem to work on just one project, so I have one thing on my wall, another on this table, another on that table, and so on. I feel like I need a better system for housing UFOs and WIP. But if I store them, I am not convinced I will return to them and actually complete them.
    Same here!

Thank you Watson, well said.
    It's great to know that I am not the only one that has had a creative tornado going this year. I won't feel so lonely while I struggle to get it all back in order..... in January I promise, no new projects for at least a week

GingerK, I love your strip blocks quilt.

Gingerk- your boxes of strings is beautiful! And I love what you’re doing with the remaining strings.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
    Thank you Watson, well said.
    It's great to know that I am not the only one that has had a creative tornado going this year. I won't feel so lonely while I struggle to get it all back in order..... in January I promise, no new projects for at least a week
    HaHa...I already know what I'm going to do 12-26-18....start a new little project...woe is me!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Somebody dumped a large amount of scraps and unfinished projects in our church quilting space. Nothing we were going to use so we made smaller bags and took it to the free table at Quilt Guild where it was quickly snatched up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast