Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Utter Clutter makes me Mutter!

All my stash and supplies are in storage. I have the very basics in the rental we are in now. I find I am liking the no clutter sewing space. If I need a special ruler or some yardage I know I have, I can go to storage and get it. DH says same as going to the store and getting it so why not let the fabric store be your stash when we get our new house built. Maybe. I know I will not put everything I have back into a new sewing room. Most of it I don't really like the fabric prints or colors anymore. And really I don't remember what all is in storage so don't miss it. LOL
    '
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    All my stash and supplies are in storage. I have the very basics in the rental we are in now. I find I am liking the no clutter sewing space. If I need a special ruler or some yardage I know I have, I can go to storage and get it. DH says same as going to the store and getting it so why not let the fabric store be your stash when we get our new house built. Maybe. I know I will not put everything I have back into a new sewing room. Most of it I don't really like the fabric prints or colors anymore. And really I don't remember what all is in storage so don't miss it. LOL
    '
    Out of sight, out of mind, as the saying goes! I am coming across fabric that I barely remember buying! Oy.

Thankfully most of the fabric I have, I like a lot--or did at one time. January will be the month I see if I'm still in love with everything, but I know better. It's time to break up with some old flames. But how do I tell my fabrics we have to go our separate ways? "It's not you; it's me. Actually, it IS you. You've stayed the same, but I've changed. Our relationship has grown static. I need my space. I wish you a happy life wherever you go!"

Blog Entries
    At least there should be no repercussions from the other side of this relationship breakup!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Oh so much batting!!!! I sew in my dining room and keep fabric, etc. in an extra bedroom. Of course it stays out on the bed until the holidays when family comes to visit. So when I was getting it all packed away last week, I was overwhelmed with all of my left over batting - many bags full (which had to be moved to another room's closet temporarily). Come January I will be sorting through it......
    ( `v )
    `.. ♥
    ..) .*) Sheri in Texas
    (. (. .
    a stitch in time saves nine.....

The only way I intend to get rid of any fabric is to make it into quilts. I am working on a king size, a couple of queen sized and a bunch of 45X60" donation quilts. I may have to buy more fabrics to go with some I have.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Gonna start with my master bedroom today. My goal is to finish decluttering thoroughly (every shelf, drawer, under bed) by Jan 9 , then give it a deep clean. The impetus (other than it'll feel so good and look good) is that my DD and her hubby will be coming to start the bedroom makeover as their big gift to us. I will also be going away for a few days mid-month to visit my sisters, and want to come home to a clean, orderly room.

(Well, unless my loves have started sanding off the faux-finished walls while I'm gone. Then it'll be dusty and maybe a bit chaotic with everything moved around so they can work.)

I don't know her timeline yet. She's only off on Wednesdays and weekends, and we rest on Sundays, so there's that.)

But today I'm starting on the bedroom. WHy wait till 2019? I am making a plan to declutter the whole house, room by room, area by area, space by space, in a year's time.

Today I pledge an hour of time. I've taken Before pictures and will keep myself motivated every hour with After Pictures as I go.

Wish me luck, say a prayer, cheer me on--I need every bit of encouragement I can get for the long haul .But the results will be so freeing!! I'll be out of clutter prison ! My one-year sentence starts now! (Boy, that sounds terrible. But it's one day closer to freedom!)

Reporting in: One hour down. Room looks much better already. I'm tired, but it's a good tired.

My organization/progress:

Donate -- 1 bag of giveaway clothes
    Trash--there wasn't much to pick up
    Relocated: a full, off-season bin of clothes
    Laundry--all clean clothes put away, all dirty clothes sorted, one load washed
    Last edited by zozee; 12-26-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Congratulations on your progress, Zozee! I like your idea of decluttering a room at a time. I've been trying to find one thing every day to get rid of (trash, donate or sell), but even though a lot of things have gone out of the house, I can't really see that I've made much progress-- I think I'll commit to decluttering one room each month while continuing to find at least one thing to get rid of from other parts of the house each day. Here is my list for the first three months of 2019:

Jan.- the upstairs hallway
    Feb.- the guest room/sewing studio
    Mar.- my art studio

That list is already making my head spin, but I think it's do-able.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Thanks, Rob. I"d never feel motivated to do more if I only got rid of one thing a day. I have to see a big "chunk" of space look better after I've worked. That's why I take pictures before, several during, and then again after. You might want to break your month down into sections. Could be the traditional 4 weeks, but I'm dividing my months into thirds. I seem to do better with 10-day segments because I know I take off Sundays and, realistically, nothing gets done on Thursdays because I'm cleaning my dad's house and babysitting my niece. So that takes out 3/10 right there. Psychologically, 3 days off of 10 sounds better than 2 out of 7. Oh, the mental games I play to get through life. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    Somebody dumped a large amount of scraps and unfinished projects in our church quilting space. Nothing we were going to use so we made smaller bags and took it to the free table at Quilt Guild where it was quickly snatched up.
    Great idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    I'm so disgusted with the condition of overwhelm in my sewing room. When it's tidy, it's picture worthy and inspiring, but it seldom stays that way. I have too much stuff and I'm ready to give up quilting.

Not really.

But tonight I did consider that for a few minutes. One thing's for sure: January of 2019 is gonna have a big theme: Purge. With a capital P.

me too, and three and four...
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I am holding out for a larger room! I have to do most of my cutting at UFO's; fortunately, I have one every week plus a sew day. It is not an ideal arrangement, but I am able to make it work. I do have two machines setup for use.

forced to sell my sewing room due to a family thing, but you probably don't live in Florida.
    It's been a dream to have. It has R30 insulation, excellent everything.
    Was wired by a licensed professional electrician. Carpet is still
    like brand new and a/c is brand new. I better stop talking about
    it now but I will say,
    bc I can't possibly find room in my small house if a quilter/sewer
    buys it some of the fabric *sniff* will go with it bc I want it
    to be loved by someone that will understand the awesomeness
    of a studio like this.

Blog Entries
    I see I'm not alone.... whew!!! After I finished the big put-everything-Christmas-away, I stood in the doorway of my little sewing room and just sighed.... was going to start this afternoon, but DH is sick and we're headed to urgent care when they open... poor guy... it's been through the whole family including me... anyway... before I can do any quilting I MUST clean out!!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Mousie, how sad is that! Forced to sell your sewing room? Do you mean you're forced to sell your whole house over a family thing? I am crushed for you! THe quilting room sounds amazing. If I lived in FL or even close, I'd love to help you rehome some of your stash. Maybe offer it for sale here? You'd know it was going to be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    Mousie, how sad is that! Forced to sell your sewing room? Do you mean you're forced to sell your whole house over a family thing? I am crushed for you! THe quilting room sounds amazing. If I lived in FL or even close, I'd love to help you rehome some of your stash. Maybe offer it for sale here? You'd know it was going to be appreciated.
    No it's not the house just my beloved "playroom".
    I would really like to sell some fabric here but knowing how
    and the price of postage is daunting.
    Y'all would understand the sacrifice if you saw what has to go.
    I don't go out there lately bc it's so hard.
    The reasons for it make me know I'd do it again but it still
    doesn't make it fun at all.
    If you've got any ideas I'm all ears. Thanks for listening.

I like your attitude cause all my stuff is cool!

I want to organize. But knowing me, I plan to list where I'm putting it in a notebook then when done, will put list on computer and hit alphabetize it. Maybe that will help me find it again. Faster than trying to keep in order as I'm listing items.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Best thing I ever bought was a Brother P-touch labeler. Now everything has a place and there is a label on it's tub.

How about everyone's books? Do you file them by author's last name? Do you file them by subject: i.e. Bargello, stars, baby, etc. I'm on "Mylibrarything" and my list says I have a book, but I do not remember seeing it or buying it.
    By subject first then authors name.

Blog Entries
    In general...while I work on a quilt....I total out my sewing room...and most of the house! Once the project if finished, I clean the whole mess up...then start all over

Blog Entries
    I don't have a sewing room...just some space once in a while. If some room has too much it is moved to "'my space" so I just shrug and say I have a bad case of piles. Have son, and daughter-in- law and grand plus two dogs and a body that functions like old age

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3