Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Color should I paint

What Color should I paint

Hi, My husband is going to redo my sewing room and I would like to get suggestions on what color I should paint or what color your sewing rooms are. And why that color works.
    Nancy "life is about choices may I choose the right one. But if I don't give me another chance"

What color would you like the walls to be? Mine are butter yellow, but it's a basement, so I wanted light......

Mine is pale yellow. I wanted it neutral, but cheerful. It reflects the sun very well. Love it.

Power Poster
    Mine are primer coat white. I was going to choose a colour but the primer was dry and I wanted to move my stuff in.

Blog Entries
    My basement/sewing/craft area is L-shaped so I painted 2 walls blue, 2 purple, and 2 green (adjoining walls are painted the same color if you can picture that). I love being in the space because the colors are calming and make me feel happy. Paint what will make you happy, even if it's not conventional.

Quote Originally Posted by ddtrina View Post
    ...........Paint what will make you happy, even if it's not conventional.
    Definitely agree!
    This IS your happy place ... and you don't want anything affecting your mood when you go there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I'm thinking of a yellow color because I think it will brighten the room even though it has a really nice size window in. Besides I don't think I could get away with painting our bedroom that color.
    Nancy "life is about choices may I choose the right one. But if I don't give me another chance"

My sewing room is a very pale blue (almost white) with a pale yellow accent on hard wood sliding closet doors. It's really a personal decision.

Depends on what you like! My walls are a bright gloss white, my ceiling is a soft green and my molding is the same green. I don't have any natural light (basement) so I wanted it bright.
    BJ

Mine is a light gray. I wanted to make it more cheerful so I added a light sunny yellow stripe around the room , around the window , and around the door. I love it.

My sewing room has 2 light pink walls with white trim. Other wall is all white, and one teak wood. I have 4 large windows also.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Mine is a light peach, with white trim. Its my happy place.

Thank you all for posting and telling me about your rooms.
    They all sound wonderful can't wait to get back to sewing I have a baby quilt to do for my new Grandson (my first) that I'm dying to work on now that he is here.

dslone: let us know what you decide. Mine is in the works of being created, so I am curious what color to do, too.

As for the new grandbaby....congrats. Am envious!

I have a soft aqua green. I love it. I would suggest that you get a few paint samples and use some sheets of large poster board or foam core board to paint swatches on. Then you can prop the boards around the room and audition your choices during different times of the day and night. You might be surprised by what you like then. I thought I'd like yellow for my room but didn't think about the strong morning light. My furniture is mostly white which looks very sharp, too. I made curtains to block out light when it's used as a guest room but am planning to make cafe curtains just for me when it's strictly a sewing room. Hope this helps.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My room get the morning and a lot of the afternoon sun so I'm going with "Merigue' It's a soft pale yellow. My room is already a bright yellow. Just toning it down a lot but will be more pleasant and softer but still cheery.

I chose a beige (Fair Oaks) that I like, but when it was done, I decided I better go white, so got another gallon of "Moroccan Sand" and glad I did. The room has large East window so not dark at all, but I think white shows more true color of my project. Not first time I've painted and repainted !

When I bought this house I live in now the previous owners had painted the basement ceilings "BLACK"......egad! How dark it looked. So I had the ceiling spray painted 3 coats to cover that ugly black to a simple white. Painted the chipboard walls in a creamy yellow. Took some scrap jigsaw fabrics and made some simple valances for the 2 windows and door (window). Sure brightened up my sewing area in a hurry. Its not perfect but doesn't look like a dungeon either.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I usually use a lot of color on the walls in my house, but my sewing room is a creamy white. I wanted a neutral background so it wouldn't interfere with my color vision on whatever I was working on.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I love color but feel that white or a creamy white gives me a better rendition of my fabric colors.

My room was already pale yellow so I kept it. I faces East so it get the morning sun and the big window allow lots of daylight into the room. Name:  100_1742.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  72.0 KB

I think it is white...but with shelves and stacks of stuff who knows??? I haven't seen the walls in years. I saw the floor last month and it was burgundy carpet. But that's gone now also. I am not neat. Understatement

Blog Entries
    Mine is a soft, pale yellow, very similar to mamagrande's picture above. I love it because it reflects light well, but not harshly like a pure white wall. To me, it is a very soothing color.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Mine is very neutral - almost white to keep things bright and cheery. It's all personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52 View Post
    I think it is white...but with shelves and stacks of stuff who knows??? I haven't seen the walls in years. I saw the floor last month and it was burgundy carpet. But that's gone now also. I am not neat. Understatement
    I'm with you, Jeanne! How refreshing that there is someone else who isn't neat and okay with it. I have so many shelves and bulletin boards and peg boards that I know the walls are off white but you can barely see them
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast