Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today (2017)? >

What are we organizing today (2017)?

What are we organizing today (2017)?

Old 12-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Zozee: Come play!

Connie
Old 12-27-2017, 06:01 AM

Just found this thread this morning! You all sound like me. I have decided that on Jan 1st while I watch all the bowl games I will start my clean up in my studio. That is going to be a big job. After cleaning it up, I want to LA 6 quilt tops in my file cabinet. Then I will proceed to start clearing out my started projects. I am NOT going to start something new till I get "caught" up. lol But I will try to make things better in 2018
Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
Just found this thread this morning! You all sound like me. I have decided that on Jan 1st while I watch all the bowl games I will start my clean up in my studio. That is going to be a big job. After cleaning it up, I want to LA 6 quilt tops in my file cabinet. Then I will proceed to start clearing out my started projects. I am NOT going to start something new till I get "caught" up. lol But I will try to make things better in 2018
When you are finished you will feel so good. But I find when I do a good cleaning/reorganizing I can't find anything! You might want to make a list if you find a new or "better" place for something. Let us know your progress. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2017, 05:32 AM

Today I think I will take some time to organize some of my scraps. Since I’ve been working nearly nonstop in my studio things have gotten a little out of hand... I just hope I can find a horizontal surface to hold the containers while I sort...

Rob
Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Today I think I will take some time to organize some of my scraps. Since I’ve been working nearly nonstop in my studio things have gotten a little out of hand... I just hope I can find a horizontal surface to hold the containers while I sort...

Rob
i sit in the floor and make neatly folded, if scrap large enough, piles all around me. on the floor. received three book boxes from mil before christmas & have soooooo wanted to sit & play ..but christmas first. ok, that's done & now i play. i sort by style of print, color & type of scrap. i.e. --strips, chunks or multi chunks. after sorting & folding, then i take all upstairs & place in appropriate plastic boxes. yesterday i had the added joy of kitten happily launching his sturdy little body into & under piles waiting to be sorted!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:02 PM

Sitting around drinking a glass of wine and contemplating my future sewing room... bf and I have decided that when we finish the basement sometime in the new year, the current tv room will be all mine to use as I see fit! I already have my heart set on at least a small design wall, but I'm thinking a lot about what else is essential. There's a closet in there I'd like to use for fabric storage, plus I'll probably put up some shelving for tubs of thread/notions/patterns, and I'll need a cutting/planning surface. My machine is probably going to bounce back and forth between my existing sewing room and the new one, so I'm not sure how to handle that. And the big old futon is staying in my new sewing room (but I use it as a basting surface anyway so I guess that's okay). So much to think about! If anybody has tips on what was absolutely essential in a sewing space when you were starting out, help a gal out!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:42 AM

Sounds exciting larkitecht! Today I’m going to finish doing my year end office straightening/paperwork organization. Which will free up some table space. That will give me room to set up my old PC420 as a dedicated Fmqer- its feed mechanism stopped working, but everything else is fine, so I bought a new one for the decorative stitches and removed the nonworking feed dogs from the old one with the plan to have it be permanently set up for fmq. My PQ1500s is still my main quilter (especially for big quilts) but since I also use it for piecing, there are times when I’m in the middle of piecing one project while wanting to do some fmq on another- this will help solve that bottleneck.

Rob
Old 01-08-2018, 09:59 AM

I love this thread. I always get so inspired to actually "take care of business" when I'm done reading it.

I spent the weekend (horribly frigid weather), in my sewing area and went through a bunch of scrap material that has been growing. I finally took the plunge and cut whatever I could out of all of it. I now have a nice pile of tumblers, 2.5" charms, 2.5" strips, 1.5" strips, strings, and a large sandwich bag full of 1.5" squares for anyone brave enough to do a 1" postage stamp quilt. I plan on giving the vast majority of these to my guild to sell at their quilt show in February. I was gifted a lot of this fabric, so it cost me nothing but time. My guild takes all proceeds and buys fabric for QOV and charity quilts, so that feels good to contribute to that, too.

It felt Great to finally get through some of that mess in that corner. And now I could actually vacuum over there. Oh wait....I hate to vacuum. Well...if I ever Do get the urge, it's empty now.

Now....on to taming the "smaller than a fat quarter" but still too big to cut into other pieces. What to do with That mess?!??
Old 01-09-2018, 01:27 AM

Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment. I have a large tub of scraps. I'll try tackling a few every day.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:04 AM

Happy to say I did start on this. Have stacks of 6in, 4 ¹/2in and2 1/2in squares, anything smaller is going into a bag for dog beds.