Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today 2019

Blog Entries
    I've cleaned off the cutting desk in preparation for the measuring of some tops. These tops seem to be Katty whompus. That is crazy talk for not square, not symmetrical or just plain done by someone who doesn't know what they are doing....that would be me.

The main problem is that I can measure something and turn around and forget what the number was. But I finished a panel quilt and the width was fine, but the length was three inches off. How did I do that? Is that even possible? I have no pieced things in it at all. Only thing I can think of is that I stretched some of the borders.

Then BH gives us the reveal. I am so tempted to do that.

Some panels are printed off-grain so finish off the way they shouldn't..

Katie: Congratulations on your new work schedule. Enjoy your extra sewing time!

Battle Axe: I was trying to figure out how many borders and the widths I needed to enlarge a pattern and finally gave up yesterday. Usually I can get it figured out. I will add the first row of borders tomorrow and then retry the math part.
    Connie

Working a full time job with silly long hours that requires me to be very organised (think lots of lists!) I haven’t got the energy or inclination to be this organised about my sewing - and definitely don’t want lists I want it to be the complete opposite of my work life. I make sure I keep my area tidy by having lots of storage. I don’t have as much space as some of you so that helps. I share a small box room with my husband who uses half for his painting. In my half is my desk with machine. Cutting has to happen in the same spot as my machine (I just move it back when I need to cut) and I have a small ironing board and mini iron next to me.

It is a ‘proper’ desk so the drawers are filled with tools etc. After every single session they are returned to the right drawer and my desk is completely empty. I have a half height cupboard to the side filled with fabric - 2 boxes of fat quarters, a set of plastic drawers of scraps sorted by colour, a shelf of bigger stuff and 2 boxes of charm squares I have either bought or made myself with sizzix machine.

In a room down the hall I have an old single built in wardrobe that is my ‘craftrobe’. I have put in a cheap shoe rack shelving unit and on here is paper/card etc, my sizzix machine and dies, current project boxes (so all fabric and patterns for current big, ongoing projects goes in one of these) and then plastic boxes that have sections in for my buttons and embellishments sorted by colour. Hanging from the rail I have small plastic baskets. One is filled with what I call hardware (zips, bag bits, key rings etc). Another is filled with trims (ribbon, lace etc) and the third is my ‘odd bits’ basket.

above that is a shelf where I keep battings and interfaces.

It took me a day toSet up but by putting everything back after each session (5 mins tops) I am always organised so I dont even have to think about being organised if that makes sense? I avoid lists by keeping it all visual and quite small quantities compared to some of you who seem to have rooms as big as my local shop! Haha

Great set-up, RJLinkletter! Take it from me, large rooms and spaces do not make for better organization every time!! Only allow disorganization all over the place!

Blog Entries
    Rob, you are smart and amazing to have a list of "to-dos." It's not for me...after teaching 2nd graders for 31+ years (but who's counting), planning has gone by the way-side. It probably would help me to write a list, but I'm resisting. In my mind, I'm planning on cleaning out my Mom's home (she passed in October), and turning it into my business office and also into a quilting space. After that, the schedule's open. Oh, a quilt using the Alaska fabrics that I cought in 2013!!
    Keep using and amending your list. You have the hardest part done.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    retiredT...yes hard to watch, but there's always timeouts! BB day today. GD 9th grade 2 games this morning...now home and getting ready to watch college BB. I have a couple of border links that were posted in a thread on the QB...did you see them? If not here they are...

http://thunderbayquilters.org/?page_...KK1YX36kzYhskI

https://comestitchwithme.com/2014/09...2KHaVJiXV9sYyY

https://jinnybeyer.com/golden-ratio-...qUJyuOwEdg54Ug

Silly Susan, I think disorganization all over the place describes some of my stuff...I start off with good neat and tidy spaces and before long it ends up a mess. I need to clean out a walk in closet that has lots of saved old jeans and the like..I know I need to use it or get rid of it!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Rob, how is recovery going?

My organizing is to get backs made to match tops, get them sandwiched, quilted, bound. So far the whole top of the cutting table is visible..... what a concept! Some of this could go on the long arm, but alas, where is it, oh yeh, under a pile of fabric.... another day.

Sounds good! I need to get on board. I have done something like it in the past and got a lot done till I got side tracked and dropped the ball. Time to get going again.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    Rob, how is recovery going?

My organizing is to get backs made to match tops, get them sandwiched, quilted, bound. So far the whole top of the cutting table is visible..... what a concept! Some of this could go on the long arm, but alas, where is it, oh yeh, under a pile of fabric.... another day.
    A little slower than I expected, but basically, things seem to be healing up pretty well. I played in the studio for about an hour yesterday before deciding I needed to rest!

give yourself a pat on the back for being able to see the cutting table LOL
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    Over Christmas break I asked my oldest GS what kind of graduation quilt he'd like...t-shirt? No. Denim? No, just a quilt Grandma! Okay need a masculine idea...his sport is golf and a computer whiz. Plaids? I have a bunch of brushed flannel and homespun scraps. Now to find them...finally found them with some chambray pieces. Tonight while watching BB I sorted them by color, then starched them all. Waiting for them to dry, then will press and trim them to random sizes. Next step, what pattern should I use?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

There's a new project on the cutting table AND it's the only thing on it. YEH! I"ve put away left over scraps, tools are in their places. Ready for the next project.

My sister's coming next week for 4 days of quilting. Need to get desk cleaned off & this location ready for her to use; box to garage, UFO knitting put away (where ever that is), get rid of old computer. Having company is a big incentive to straighten and clean. And as an adult, she's passed me up in cleanliness. OHHHH, DH has agreed to help shampoo the carpets. A lot of welcome work in the next week.

Blog Entries
    I've finished a top, the blue bear paw, and today I'm going to clean out the scraps from that tub. Also, need to sew a pieced backing for that top out of some Christmas fabric. Fewer and fewer piles, but it just doesn't look like much progress.

Blog Entries
    BattleAxe, I’m sure if you just keep picking away at it, you’ll soon see a difference. I think they say if you set a timer for like 15 minutes a day, you get great results.

Rob, I do hope your recovery gets easier every day.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Rob, from experience-it does get better. Just remember most of the recovery is inside, you can't see it. Don't stress it

Blog Entries
    All the plaids are pressed and cut into various widths. Ready to start sewing on a strip quilt...off I go.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

This year I'm going to get all my storage boxes organized and get all like items put together so I can find stuff. I started with a few of the easy boxes and labeled them, as I label them I'm adding them to an index in the computer so I can figure out where I stored everything. Once I get them all labeled, I put a bunch of them into the office closet and make a note of which box is where so I can find stuff later. It's a process. I hope to be done in a few weeks.

Rob, did you have your gallbladder out yet?
    My Mom fell and fractured her pelvis. She's in rehab now and doing well but I haven't slept much in 2 weeks. I feel like a zombie.
    So no organizing anything lately

Oh, Susie, sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully you can get some sleep while she is in rehab.
    Connie

Thanks, Connie. That's exactly what I'm doing! I've missed all my pals here

Sorry to hear about your mom, Susie. I hope her recovery goes smoothly.

Blog Entries
    Oh no! Your poor Mom, May she have a speedy recovery. Don’t forget to take good care of you too.

im still working on moving into my new closet. I’m kind of stumped as the shelves are really deep and I’m not sure how best to take advantage of that. Plus, I tend to buy my stash fabric with projects in mind so am struggling with how best to store it. On the one hand, it would look much neater if I put all the yardage on my mini bolts and fat quarter bundles all together etc, but then I don’t have the coordinates for a project all conveniently together anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Rob, did you have your gallbladder out yet?
    My Mom fell and fractured her pelvis. She's in rehab now and doing well but I haven't slept much in 2 weeks. I feel like a zombie.
    So no organizing anything lately
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    im still working on moving into my new closet. I’m kind of stumped as the shelves are really deep and I’m not sure how best to take advantage of that. Plus, I tend to buy my stash fabric with projects in mind so am struggling with how best to store it. On the one hand, it would look much neater if I put all the yardage on my mini bolts and fat quarter bundles all together etc, but then I don’t have the coordinates for a project all conveniently together anymore.
    If you have larger pieces (5-6 yds suitable for backings), fold them and place them in the back of the closet, but before you do make a list with a small fabric sample and yardage so you don't forget what's back there...tape your list to the closet door. Then place ruler folded fabrics in front. Keep the coordinated fabrics together...if you don't you will forget about them...ask me how I now!

I've been doing some sorting...ha ha actually looking for my camera..want it for tomorrow and haven't seen it since our last guild meeting. I remember putting it into a bag at the meeting. Augh!!! I have a couple of projects I want to take pictures of too!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Pamela, I have the same kind of closet. The shelves are deep! Sounds good but not easy to organize.
    Thanks for the nice wishes for my Mom! And you're right about taking care of myself. I can't help her if I'm a zombie!

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    Great set-up, RJLinkletter! Take it from me, large rooms and spaces do not make for better organization every time!! Only allow disorganization all over the place!
    Agree. I moved from a space of 11x14 to a new home 30x30 sewing studio. Not only am I trying to figure out how not to have to walk a mile across the rm every time I need something but try to remember where I put things where I now have tons of storage space.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast