Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today 2019

There are some great carts you can put your project items on to and then move it over to your work area. I saw a few nice ones at The Container Store but Ikea has them and so does Walmart. That way you can put what you need on the cart and let it stay there while you work on the project. I have a bin with different scissors, and when I use my embroidery machine I put the different threads on it so I am not going back and forth.

Also, I have a part of my long closet that the doors are a pain in the neck to arrange to get to the items, so I have some bins of things I don't use (i.e.: large cuts of fabric) with note cards inside of it that can be seen outside in that area. That way I can see what's in it without pulling it out. I use Sharpies on the note cards so the writing shows through.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 01-13-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Rob, did you have your gallbladder out yet?
    My Mom fell and fractured her pelvis. She's in rehab now and doing well but I haven't slept much in 2 weeks. I feel like a zombie.
    So no organizing anything lately
    hi SusieQ- yes I did have it out on Jan. 4 and am now on the mend. Yesterday was the first day I felt up to spending the entire day in the studio.

sorry to hear about your Mom- I hope she has a speedy recovery! Now that shes in rehab and doing well I hope you get a chance to get some well needed rest!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Hi Rob, so glad it's behind you, yay!
    Thanks for the good wishes. I'm much more awake after sleeping a lot this weekend! Everyone will benefit by this haha

Blog Entries
    I have an upstairs list and a downstairs list. Upstairs is my sewing room, downstairs is my hand sewing. As I leave each area I write down where I am in the project and what is left to do. Then when I return I can start immediately.

I do need a composite list that would move me forward on all projects. Rob, yours sounds like a great idea.
    I am following my retirement plan, I Quilt.

How does everyone handle their left-over batting scraps? I just realized I kind of have them everywhere:

- if they are too small to use, I cut them into bits for dog beds
    - if they are at least 7" or so "wide", I will roll them on a cardboard tube
    - larger ones, I stitch together to make enough for a quilt batting and then roll them on a different cardboard
    tube

I also have a plastic tote full of them, a little box of them cut into 5" squares and 3 completely new rolls.

How do you move thru your leftover batting? It's expensive enough that I don't want to just toss it, but I also realize I don't have a "good way" of managing it until I can use it.

Anyone have ideas? My sewing room looks like there was a massive explosion somewhere in the middle of my sewing room.

Rob, hope you are back to 100% soon! And your mom too, SusieQOH!

I have to admit I have felt intimidated to open this thread, because I don't consider myself very good at organization. The very word strikes terror.... HA! But I felt empowered by my activity yesterday, taking down all the Christmas decs and tree and putting the house back in order... and bagging up tons of old clothes to either donate or toss. I was a whirlwind! (Not sure what got into me.) Now I need to take some of that into my sewing areas too.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NoraB, I too snip up batting too and use it as stuffing, scraps under 5 inch width mostly. I make coaster sets to use up scraps and scrap batting, 5 inch squares, then I jump to placemats, again scraps of fabric and batting. Then I make table runners, scrap batting, some scrap fabric from time to time, but I usually stitch up a pattern. I try to discipline myself to do this regularly and keep ahead of my scrap batting.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Thanks,SBG, for the well wishes for my Mom. She's doing well so far.
    NoraB- I just thought of something for your scraps of batting. Can you put them together between old fabric to practice machine quilting? That's what I thought of doing. A lot of teachers tell you to have squares nearby to quilt before you start your quilting. This advice comes from seasoned quilters. It makes sense to me to "warm up" before you actually start.
    I hope this makes sense as I'm still catching up on sleep

Rearranging the backing yardage by color and pulling piece for scrappy back that has been a leader/ender for almost two years (2"X3.5" rectangles). Found open top rectangular basket and designated it the small UFO station. Took all three scrap baskets and emptied on a long office size table. Sorted into strings, thin strips for clothesline baskets and the rest are being cut (1 hour per day until gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    A lot of teachers tell you to have squares nearby to quilt before you start your quilting. This advice comes from seasoned quilters. It makes sense to me to "warm up" before you actually start.
    This is what I do too. I have several placemat sized 'sandwiches' ready to test out quilting patterns. They are good for checking your stitch length and balance, too.

I save my scraps that are big enough to make 13" squares to use in QAYG. Also the narrower strips... they are good for inserting in the sashings when you QAYG with sashings instead of narrow joinings. In the mean time, I keep old batting bags to stuff the pieces in so they won't be all over the place.
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Nora, I have some clear plastic zip bags that bedding cake in & keep batting scraps in those. I make quilted totes occasionally & use long narrow strips for the handles. I piece small pieces for the bag bodies. I hadn’t thought of coasters, though. I used some smaller pieces for mug rugs & I've made practice sandwiches for QAYG.

Blog Entries
    Rulers....I had mislaid my Fit to be Geese ruler and decided to organize the ruler caddy to find it. About the 10th ruler I picked up was the one I was looking for. Yea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Rulers....I had mislaid my Fit to be Geese ruler and decided to organize the ruler caddy to find it. About the 10th ruler I picked up was the one I was looking for. Yea!!
    Isn't there some sort of rule that it would never be at the beginning? haha

Thanks, Sewbiz. Welcome to the thread- It’s a great place to pick up tips and encouragement if you feel the need to introduce some organization into your world

Nora- I save every bit of my batting scraps. The large pieces get pieced together and used in quilts. Smaller pieces either get stored together in a box for use in art quilts for faux trapunto effects or they get stuffed on a shelf in my art studio until I have enough time to have a “batting painting” day. I use the painted batting in art pieces as a visible layer. I also paint really tiny pieces and thin strings of batting to be used in art quilts. Some thinn pieces get saved for padded handles as well.

I’ve fallen behind on my January studio to do list, but am hoping to catch up over the weekend. The main difficulty I’m having right now is that I just am not feeling inspired to work on the UFO that I want to get finished this month. But if I can get it finished I can use it to cross off two items on my to do list as it would be suitable to enter into a show that had a Feb.1 deadline.... in the meantime I’ve managed to re-organize my art studio because that just really really needed to be done (instead of the UFO)x. Sort of like the time I realized that I absolutely had to clean the baseboards in my apartment with a cue-tip the night before a term paper was due...

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Sort of like the time I realized that I absolutely had to clean the baseboards in my apartment with a cue-tip the night before a term paper was due...

Rob
    That's Procrastination Cleaning, LOL! I can get anything else done when it's time to work on the taxes.

Looking forward to everyone else's organization skills rubbing off on me.

Ain’t it the truth! I’m avoiding one of my BOM projects right now....it requires sewing triangles which I don’t enjoy doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    That's Procrastination Cleaning, LOL! I can get anything else done when it's time to work on the taxes.

Looking forward to everyone else's organization skills rubbing off on me.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Last night, I was chuckling as I was reading the procrastination excuses because it's exactly what I was doing yesterday. I have a baby shower on Saturday and I just didn't want to sit down and make the 3 items.

However, I did get the 3 items made after I cleaned an area for some new shelves, sewed some, and reorganized a part of my sewing area.
    Connie

Blog Entries
    Procrastination...ha ha...I'm trying to figure out what to do with a 3.33 yard of background fabric I bought to pair with some solids in stash. So I've been playing in EQ instead of bookwork...much more fun!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    How does everyone handle their left-over batting scraps? I just realized I kind of have them everywhere:
    My quilting group has a box where trimmings from squaring up our quilts are put. The batting is stitched together and made into squares for string QAYG blocks. The fabric trimmings are used for the strings. Anyone with a spare half hour or so at the end of the day will dip in the box and make a block or two. When there is a pile of blocks someone will take them home to add the 1" sashing to make a Linus quilt.

It is surprising how many quilts can be made from 'waste' and a little spare time.

Im not being cheeky -just curious - but I often read about experienced quilters having a number of UFOs and WIPs.
    So why do quilters make a number of tops? Why not just make one and complete it before starting another?
    Is this a better way to work or just personal preference?
    Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Moira, I often wonder the same thing...I will be curious as to read the responses to your questions. I had one UFO for over a year because it was a pattern my son had chosen when I first started quilting in 2011 and it was more for an intermediate or advanced quilter so I muscled through it to finally get it done. I am pretty disciplined to finish quilts to avoid any long-time UFOs.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Moira- I often have many projects going at once (WIPs) and a number that are stalled (UFOs) and I used to worry about it but have learned over the years that for me, this is just part of my creative process . I’ve listed some of what causes WIPs and UFOs in my studio below

I have WIPs because: 1. I like to be able to work on a variety of different ideas at once, otherwise I get bored (especially when piecing a top). 2. I use some techniques like fabric painting which require drying time before the next stage can be worked on, so it makes sense for me to have something else to work on while waiting for a painted area to dry. 3. I am an actively showing artist who is reluctant to say no when an opportunity to be in a show presents itself, so most of my current WIPs (two collaborative quilts and a bunch of paintings) are things that I have promised for art shows so they’re being actively worked on. 4. I also frequently spend time working on small samples as a way to try out new ideas before committing to a larger piece.

Things that get put in the UFO pile do so for several reasons: 1. I might have gotten the piece to a point where I can’t decide what to do next or there’s a technical problem that I haven’t been able to solve and need to set it aside for a while and let my subconscious worry about it while I work on other things. This happens fairly frequently with my art quilts and improvisational quilts. 2. Sometimes I just get so bored piecing a top that I really can’t force myself to keep plugging away - my Bonnie Hunter ORL from last year fits this category.

Sometimes a project does get started and worked on straight through until it’s finished, but that’s a rare event for me.

Rob

Moira, I don’t have UFOs in quilts, but I know it would be easy for me to have some because I really enjoy choosing colors, cutting the fabric, & piecing the top. But the actual quilting is another story. I only have DSM so getting a large project through the throat is difficult. A longarm machine isn’t feasible for me, so I plod along. I do have knit & crochet UFOs & WIPs. I mostly work on those in groups & if our group is noisy, some projects are complicated & need more concentration, so I skip to a less complicated one. I started a new crochet cowl last night because my riding group is getting together next week for January birthdays & I want to give cowls in our group’s colors to the birthday gals. I’m out of cowls in those colors so I need to whip out a couple in a hurry. That’s why I have yarn UFOs & WIPs.

Moira, the answer to your question really depends on how a person is 'wired'. Some people like to make one thing at a time and see it completed before they go on to another. Others of us like the creative process and flit from one project to another like moths to flames. Then there are many of us that lie somewhere in between.

For me, if I have started something and lose interest, I don't want to feel enslaved to getting it done if I am no longer interested. I think we all believe we will eventually "come back" to those projects and get them done... hence, UFOs.

Sometimes I feel undisciplined when I start something new but still have several unfinished. But I try not to beat myself up over it. This is supposed to be fun and I'm in charge of what I work on and what I finish.

I admire your discipline!

Blog Entries
    I have enjoyed reading all your organizing skills. I have been working on my sewing room and am so glad I came across this thread. As for those pieces of batting. I have a basket that I throw those odd size pieces in and they are used for mug rugs, qayg, really great inside pot holders etc. There are ufos and more ufos. I am going to gather them and list them and hopefully get them finished.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast