Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today 2019

Blog Entries
    I'm in my office organizing EOY farm business stuff...what fun! Bits of paper can be as uncontrollable as bits of fabric! And I must be careful of what I throw away!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I know what you mean about paperwork, Oksewglad! No fun, but necessary
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I finished sorting the bags of triangle parts. Now I am starting on bags of squares which are sorted by size but I want to sort them by color. I already put my BH green/neutral HSTs in a bag and sorted them by the green pattern/solid. Since I didn't use her last 3 borders, I need to store those units until I find a use for them.

No school today because we were supposed to get up to 9" of snow. I think we got about 6". No school tomorrow or Wednesday so that means no subbing for me and my great niece's school got cancelled also so I don't have to take her there tomorrow, and church quilting group got cancelled tomorrow too. So 2 more days with no plans on going anywhere! I will be making some baby gifts and also a couple of things for a great nephew's first birthday over the next couple of days. -26 degrees actual temps are predicted at night with wind chills between -30 to -40 for our area.
    Connie

Blog Entries
    Yes it's a stay home week...school's cancelled here for tomorrow and Wed, too. Boss emailed me and told me to stay home tomorrow as well. Any fabric customers are going to be smart and stay home and sew. Cans of Heet are flying off the shelves in our small town. DIL was able to get 4-5 to have on hand in case diesel engines on skidsteers and tractors start to jel up (feed needs to be mixed and cows need to be fed)...welcome to life in the deep freeze. Stay warm everyone!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Cans of Heet are flying off the shelves in our small town. DIL was able to get 4-5 to have on hand in case diesel engines on skidsteers and tractors start to jel up (feed needs to be mixed and cows need to be fed)...welcome to life in the deep freeze. Stay warm everyone!
    I always feel so sad for the livestock that have to stand outside in this cold/rain/snow. I'm sure it's a perilous time for their babies to be born.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    One has to remember that animals have a thick hide...think how thick your leather boots are. Add a thick coat of hair to help keep them warm. Having them out of the wind is as important as anything when this type of weather hits. Last night we had a fresh cow with a newborn heifer..not born outside, but well bedded maternity pen is not heated. Defense (yes that's her name) decided to calve early by a couple of days. Not sure if she knew the nasty weather is ahead of us. I'm sure the little one has an insulated calf coat to help keep her body warm. This time of year all little baby calves start out with one. We also have a calf warming box to help with the extreme cold.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I know you all are professionals and take good care of your cows, OK. Around here, not so much. Some people provide no shelter and leave their animals out in the pastures full time. They are on their own to weather a storm. What bothers me the most are the dogs I see left outside with no shelter. So sad!

We we woke up with some snow on the ground! It was in the 60s and beautiful yesterday. It was only raining when I went to bed, so the temps must have dropped way down overnight.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love the term "cheeky". The British have such wonderful adjectives, nouns, and expressions!!! And it took me years to figure out that cushion means pillow [/QUOTE]

I grew up overseas around lots of folks from the UK and the Land Down Under and I love some of the idioms they use as well. But it took me forever to figure out what a "floppy" or a "flimsy" meant. Showing my age here, I'm sure, but to me a floppy is a 3.5" (or 5"--really old) disk that went into an old fashioned computer to store data!
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Blog Entries
    Oh and remember the 8" discs of the earlier computers! Oh dear...my age is showing, too.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Oh and remember the 8" discs of the earlier computers! Oh dear...my age is showing, too.
    And don’t forget keypunch cards and magnetic tapes and computers that took up whole rooms....

Rob

Blog Entries
    Rob...A grade school "craft" was making an angel from the keypunch cards from IBM...major company store was less than an hour from home...then we spray painted them gold or silver and gave them to our moms for a Christmas gift! OBTW, I'm a country school kid!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

How about the mimeograph machine. I can still remember the smell to this day. I was blessed with going to the last one room school house in my state as a child. Good memories.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Blog Entries
    Quiltah Mama...country school education was a wonderful educational experience...and the teacher that impacted me most in my life was the one I had the last two years I was there. Among the things she taught me, the one I use the most is not to judge a book by its cover.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quiltahmama- I can remember getting headaches from mimeographed handouts....

Love the idea of angels made from the punch cards OKsewglad LOL! In the late 70's I spent many an hour sitting in front of a keypunch machine punching data, then had to run them through the card reader and it would always spit out at least one card that had some kind of error...

Now, for organizing-- yesterday I tried to rearrange my encaustic paint storage because it's just hurting my knee too much to have to crawl under my table to get to them--- for now they're up on a shelf, but not an optimal location. I'm hoping I can find some kind of drawer unit that will fit under the table where I keep my hotbox. That would be ideal.

And I made a little progress on the upstairs hallway that I'd hoped to have decluttered by the end of Jan. but the gallbladder surgery got in the way of that. It's lots better than it was, but I still need to go through all the books on the bookshelf and decide what to keep and what to let go of.

I also did a little quick tidy up in my sewing studio in preparation for quilting my Feb. UFO-- yes, it is sandwiched and ready to go whenever I get a block of time to work on it. Yay! And I'm determined to not start any new fiber projects until the UFO is quilted.

My goal for Feb. is to continue to declutter the upstairs hallway. I'd like to also start on a serious de-clutter of the sewing studio/guest bedroom this month, but that may not be feasible given all the things I've committed to do.

The studio to-do list is working out great, using it to help me decide what to work on and when to work on things, helped me meet most of my January deadlines. I did decide not to apply to a juried art show when it became obvious that something had to go, but I did finish my UFO and also got the entries in for two quilt shows that I'd wanted to enter.

For Feb. I've got 3 deadlines for art shows. One quilting UFO to finish and several quilting WIPs that have spring deadlines. Looking at my Feb. to-do list reminds me that in Jan. I said I needed to learn to say no. LOL

Rob

Okay, so it has taken me more than a month in my spare time but I finally have all of my crafting/sewing supplies sorted, inventoried, labeled and put most of it into the office closet. I inventoried forty-one large, medium and small storage boxes and labeled them. Thirty-six of these boxes fit in the closet. I have a complete list on my computer with their location in the closet. It was so stressful trying to find something before, I ended up with all the boxes in the office because I never wanted to go into the closet to look for anything. Now I'll just search my list, find the box and I'll know the location of the box. Yeah for organization.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

Blog Entries
    I am so impressed Irishgal! If I accomplished this monumental task, the key for me would be keeping it up...making sure I deleted things as they were used or finished and adding new items. Fantastic job done!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I am so impressed Irishgal! If I accomplished this monumental task, the key for me would be keeping it up...making sure I deleted things as they were used or finished and adding new items. Fantastic job done!
    I know what you mean. I don't have to worry about updating my list for awhile. I'm in the middle of hand sewing a Grandmother's Flower Garden and that will be my main project for quite a few more months. So for now I feel organized and if I need to find something, I can.

Irishgal, very impressive organizing system. I'm very impressed. After all that hard work, now it's time to let the creative bug out and start creating after your current project.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Irishgal, wow! An inventory on your computer. That is quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    Irishgal, wow! An inventory on your computer. That is quite impressive.
    The hardest part was making sure I had all like items together. I managed to find a few items that I had been looking for recently, so I'm glad I got this done because my crafting was taking over my dining room and I did not want that.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
    The hardest part was making sure I had all like items together. I managed to find a few items that I had been looking for recently, so I'm glad I got this done because my crafting was taking over my dining room and I did not want that.
    I'm very curious how you named and organized your fabric. Did you put your own descriptions and color? Manufacturer and color? I wouldn't know where to begin cataloguing my stash. Granted, my stash is small and all fits into two dressers, so not really worth my time. But your system intrigues me from an organizational standpoint.

I got sidelined last year organizing my stash -- first PT told me the fabric bins are too heavy and caused my neck and back issues. Then I had an allergy season that was pure misery. I have been buying bins (from Amazon and The Container store) that are half the size of the ones I got from Costco and am moving my fabric into them. My kids told me I needed to put my ornaments in smaller boxes since I could not carry the big boxes (too long) so I used some of the bins I emptied of fabric, ditched the ornament dividers and got three big boxes into 3 smaller boxes which were also lighter. Now I have to work on continuing to move the fabric out of the big boxes - DS is doing some remodeling and they will take any of the larger boxes I empty and DSIL works with a lady who makes animal beds and preemie quilts so I will route any unwanted fabric to her.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Irishgal- that’s quite an accomplishment! Congratulations!

QuiltnLady1- sounds like you are making good progress pn your reorganization!

Rob

Blog Entries
    Irishgal, it sounds like a monumental task...I did a similar thing to all of my boxes when I moved from California to Maine. My stuff remained in storage for over a year but if I needed something out of a box, I could easily look it up on my computer and know which box number it was in. Luckily, I have a modest stash of fabric. Kudos on your fabric organization.

Rob, it sounds like you need a few more hours in your day. You never cease to amaze me with all that you do. I hope you have been recovering well from your gallbladder surgery. Your post reminds me that I have a bunch of old recipe magazines that I need to go through or pitch.

After following Sherri McConnel’s blog posts “Quilt Your Stash 2019” I have designated Friday afternoons for tidying up my sewing room and putting things away...I also give the floor a good cleaning and empty trash.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I did not catalog my fabric stash. My quilting fabric stash is in a big box, but it is not organized. What I did was to label and organize all my other crafting and sewing supplies. I had batting, batting scraps, fiberfil, rotary cutters, rulers, buttons, zippers, thread, embroidery machine accessories, yarn (all kinds of yarn), knitting needles, crochet hooks, pom pom makers, embroidery floss (lots of floss), embroidery hoops, cross stitch supplies, jewelry findings, teddy bear making supplies, paint, and beads. I just had a lot of stuff in a lot of places and now all the like items are together and labeled.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast