Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
while I have the chance >

while I have the chance

while I have the chance

Old 02-04-2017, 08:05 AM

When my dh built his garage he put plugs in every 18-24 inches. Too many? Maybe, but it means there is always going to be one within reach, unlike my house where the plug for lights on one wall is behind the middle of the couch☹. That way should you want to rearrange things or get new stuff you will still be able to reach a plug.

Sue in MO
Old 02-04-2017, 08:13 AM

Default Some more ideas

I just finished my sewing room in the basement. I did all of my own wiring. One thing I did do was decide where my ironing board would be used. I had those plugs higher and on a separate circuit. Irons pull a lot of power and if you have a computerized machine you don't want them on the same breaker. I also have two circuits going around my room. One for my machine and one for other things such as heater or floor lamp. No competition for power that way. I did put my outlets a little higher off the floor for easy on the back access. For my lights I used 4 bulb 4' light fixtures and they are perfect. But this is a basement so more light needed. If you plan to have a TV put on the wall have the jacks and power outlet put in the same vicinity so you avoid the cables hanging down. Hope these ideas are helpful. Enjoy your room!
Barb in Kansas
Old 02-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Wow, great space. My sewing room has the following items plugged in.

Two sewing machines, two Stella lights, one LED over ironing board, one Ott light over cutting table, coffee warmer (really a candle warmer) , iron, and I have a ceiling fan light. The fan is wonderful in the summer. I use extension cords because of the lack of outlets. Put more than you need because technology is ever changing even for quilters!!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:59 AM

I was going to suggest LED lighting but you have that covered. Looks like a great gals cave. Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 AM

When your husband thinks you have too many outlets, add a couple more!!!!! You can never have too many! My sewing area is full of cords and extension cords and surge protectors!!!!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 AM

Here's how I used the 4' lights.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567462[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn0109.jpg  
Old 02-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Looks like you and a lot of others have it about covered; however, may I add one suggestion? For the lightening over your longarm, you might consider having the lights on the ends able to be on and off separately. A lot of the time, I need light at one end of my longarm to cast a shadow down the length to enable me to quilt light thread on light fabric. As I can't see the thread where I have quilted before, the shadow shows me very nicely where I have been.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:02 PM

I had my DH put a power surge strip on the headboard of our bed. It is out of sight, but I can reach it easily, don't have to bend to the floor or move the bed to plug things in.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:26 PM

I can't thank you guys enough...so many helpful suggestions. Bobbielinks, I like your idea of a separate light source for lighting over my longarm. Bcsews, I did ask my electrician for a couple of plugs with higher gauge/amps for sewing and the one in the floor for my longarm...but I will be following up on his work before the insulation guys come out.

Cam's gram, I love your sewing space... looks like you have sufficient lighting.

I have been sharing your comments with my DH, neither of us considered a Wi-fi or tv set up so he is calling our local telecommunications on Monday to have someone come out and look at the room. I may have to pick a wall space for a tv. Wow, I can't believe I didn't think about that segment.

Again, I appreciate all of your input...that's why I love this board.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I ditto Tartan's add/suggestion. Might as well get it set up now while you have the chance
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
While it is open, have it wired for a internet connection or WiFi so you can check the web. I would want a work station for my sewing machine and a design wall. Congratulations on your new space!