Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Your Sewing Area - how does it all fit? >

Your Sewing Area - how does it all fit?

Your Sewing Area - how does it all fit?

Old 11-05-2018, 08:35 AM

I have an area/room downstairs that has my sewing machines, current projects, part of my stash and cutting table. I use a rolling table so I can move around it as I desire. It is tall enough and holds a medium large cutting mat. These are the rolling carts they sell for kitchens.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:28 PM

Peterswife ——-sure would be nice to see ur pics. I just have a big triangle with a mark in it n clicking on it dies no good.

Lots2do— just use command hooks or on a rod hanging above closet doors. Then roll them up out if the way when company comes
Old 12-13-2018, 02:52 PM

I'm in the early stages of building out a new sewing "room". When I left HS, I chose Engineering over Art School. I'm moving toward retirement, and looking forward to spending more time making things. So I leased a 420 sq.ft. room at Lowell's Western Ave. Studios. The build out will use Lowe's unfinished oak kitchen cabinets for storage, 2 Sauder sewing cabinets and bookcases, and a Joann's cutting table. Oak laminate flooring and a few of the cabinets are new. I may also invest in an old country store display case. Machines are Pfaff Creatives 2140 and Sensation, & HQ 16.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltergeek View Post
I'm in the early stages of building out a new sewing "room". When I left HS, I chose Engineering over Art School. I'm moving toward retirement, and looking forward to spending more time making things. So I leased a 420 sq.ft. room at Lowell's Western Ave. Studios. The build out will use Lowe's unfinished oak kitchen cabinets for storage, 2 Sauder sewing cabinets and bookcases, and a Joann's cutting table. Oak laminate flooring and a few of the cabinets are new. I may also invest in an old country store display case. Machines are Pfaff Creatives 2140 and Sensation, & HQ 16.
very interesting. So does this mean you will travel to your studio? Before we moved here my best friend and I toyed with rental space so she could watch tab and I could quilt. She is not crafty. That plan never came together.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:09 AM

Hi Stitchnripper,
It's about 5 miles from where I live to my studio. And I will still have a multipurpose machine and serger at home. But the bulk of my machines (including the long arm and a mid arm) and stash (enough for five lives) will be at the studio. The studio is in an old mill building with about 300 artists and artisans, is available 24/7, has public access during the day, and sponsors open studios at least one weekend a month. It's cheap space, and will be glorious once I build it out. Two 4' x 8' windows in my studio look out over the canal.

While I have no intention of moving when I retire, the reality is that the time may come to downsize. My rental studio and my plots at the community gardens provide insurance that I have the work spaces that are important to me no matter where I live.

And the studio is big enough that I can share space, or give classes, if that ends up right.