Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
International Quilt Festival (aka Houston Quilt Show) November 4-7, 2010 >

International Quilt Festival (aka Houston Quilt Show) November 4-7, 2010

International Quilt Festival (aka Houston Quilt Show) November 4-7, 2010

Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 AM

I am getting really excited about Houston!! I hope others are too!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ligia
Still waiting for the travel agency to confirm it...
Perhaps we should call Marriott ourselves.
I am thinking that sounds like a good idea! I am afraid your travel agent is going to wait so long that there will not be a room left to confirm.......I booked my room online.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Marcia. I will be flying home the weekend before but will be driving to houston. Only about 3 hours from home. Reason is I will be going with 2 other friends from home.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Marcia. I will be flying home the weekend before but will be driving to houston. Only about 3 hours from home. Reason is I will be going with 2 other friends from home.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Good tips here - OH YES ladies, it truly is a WONDERFUL show. The World's LARGEST ... and also the largest convention of any type held in Houston. If you haven't been before, you have just GOT TO GO !!!
My quilt group has gone since 1990 I think, we are just a short drive from Houston.
Bring snacks & water, the food court is pretty good in choices and the lines aren't too long. Time your lunches earlier at 11 or later 1-2 to avoid the main crowd. Upstairs there are more restrooms and Starbucks coffee & snacks etc and good places to sit and REST. Nice observation decks to sit out & enjoy the skyline views.
Also recommend using the PACKAGE check, it's only $1 and oh SO worth it !!
Lots of good restaurants nearby in mid-town, less pricey than downtown. The shop tours are great fun too, if you'd like to see more of Houston while you're here !!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Bring snacks & water, the food court is pretty good in choices and the lines aren't too long. Time your lunches earlier at 11 or later 1-2 to avoid the main crowd. Upstairs there are more restrooms and Starbucks coffee & snacks etc and good places to sit and REST. Nice observation decks to sit out & enjoy the skyline views.
Also recommend using the PACKAGE check, it's only $1 and oh SO worth it !!
Thanks TexasGurl for remembering some that I forgot. Ever since they moved the food court downstairs, I don't go upstairs. How could I forget about Starbucks?
Package check is my friend. I usually shop for one day and look at quilts another day. When my arm is falling off, I go to package check. They do not provide bags, so you have to bring a large enough plastic sack or tote to hold your stuff. Each time that you put it back, you have to pay $1, so leave it until the end and don't forget it.
If you leave the show doors and plan to return, get your hand stamped.
Do bring a water bottle, which can be refilled at water fountain. BUT keep it hidden on the show floor. If they see you, with it out, it may be taken. So sneak a drink in the back while sitting down. We had an incident, a few years ago, that involved a man throwing bleach on an Elvis quilt. He and the lady had been feuding for a while. So they are touchy about bottles of liquid. Everyone still brings them, we just hide them.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM

I like the idea of a siggie block like we are exchanging.

Since everyone is staying in different hotel, maybe we could plan to meet Thursday, Friday or Saturday in one corner of the food court at a certain time. It wouldn't have to be to eat, just to say hello, hug and see faces.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by hereca622
Ladies, you are in for such a treat. Last year was the first time in 16 years that I missed the IQA Show. I was having knee problems that turned out to be gout. If I continue eating right, I should be able to go this year. May I share some hints. (1) Dress comfortable, especially shoes (2) Take short & long sleeves, because our temperature can be between 40 & 90 in the same day. (3) Take a large lightweight tote for your purchases (rolling totes are not allowed) (4) Save your money for purchases, you will want to shop, OMG, 3/4 of show is vendors. (5) Take a small camera for quilts (6) A lot of different foods are available, but the lines can be long. Don't wait until you are fainting from hunger. A water bottle and a snack in your tote will help. (7) There are chairs along the back wall for resting. (8) There is no paging, so get cell #s & plan meeting places. (9) Restrooms on front wall are down a flight of stairs, at least 3 sets across back and one in the Food Court area.
The main theme is comfort and lightweight. Your back, knees and feet will thank you.
You are going to have an awesome experience,
Helen
A couple more hints from a veteran. (1) There is valet parking, if you plan to drive. It is worth every penny not to have to walk to your car after a day on your feet. (2) You can rent a scooter from Scoot Around. If you can't stay on your feet for the whole day, it is worth every penny to rent one. I've done it for the last 3 years and it's great. There's a link on the website. (3) There are also bathrooms on the second floor. You will have to get your hand stamped at the door to get back in, then take the escalator upstairs. (4) Many of the vendors start discounting their products on Sunday afternoon, so if you can stay that late, you may be able to get some good deals. I got 7 packages of king size Warm & Natural batting for $100. (5) The Park Shops is an indoor shopping mall that is about 4 blocks from the George R. Brown Convention Center. There is a food court with several restaurants, if you don't want to eat at the GRB.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:00 AM

I am sooo looking forward to going!! I haven't been in five years. I live in Baytown, only 30-45 min. from GRB, so no excuses this year!! Love the idea of the siggy tags, we did that in another group and I still have the tag...lol. Can't wait to see the design you come up with!!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:47 PM

No one has posted in a while but I wanted to join in the excitement! Me and two of my friends have made our reservations at the LaQuita Galleria for 3 nights/4days we will arrive Thurday night and it is only costing us $95.10 a person. Plus free breakfast and free parking. I wanted to ask someone mentioned about Valet parking is that at the Convent. Center? Do you know how much that is? None of us has ever been!!!!!!