Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat >

NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat

NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat

Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Ok ladies....things change once again with my schedule. Looks like I can make it for the Sept 3 retreat in Lebanon! Could I meet someone somewhere and carpool? Think we'll get much sewing done? Any suggestions on what to bring - sewing/quilting wise and food wise?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
I didn't go last year. There are lots of reasons I could give but truthfully I snore like a drunk sailor and don't want to embarrass myself or inflict a sleepless night for someone else. But I would consider coming if there was a hotel near by like the SurfRider hotel in Lincoln City has a beach house and hotel rooms. The Beach house sleeps 16 people. My dad celebrated his 70th birthday last year at that beach house and had our whole family- 3 kids and their families in all we had 14 people. It was a nice place and we had a great time.
http://www.surfriderresort.com/aspx/m/730485
Love that house! We rented it for our DD's wedding and we had 16 stay. And numerous guests stayed in the motel. DD/SIL got married right below on the Fogarty Creek beach, and the reception was in the park @ the gazebo. I already suggested it, but they wanted a place farther North for the gals having to come from WA.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
Originally Posted by kristen0112
I didn't go last year. There are lots of reasons I could give but truthfully I snore like a drunk sailor and don't want to embarrass myself or inflict a sleepless night for someone else. But I would consider coming if there was a hotel near by like the SurfRider hotel in Lincoln City has a beach house and hotel rooms. The Beach house sleeps 16 people. My dad celebrated his 70th birthday last year at that beach house and had our whole family- 3 kids and their families in all we had 14 people. It was a nice place and we had a great time.
http://www.surfriderresort.com/aspx/m/730485
Love that house! We rented it for our DD's wedding and we had 16 stay. And numerous guests stayed in the motel. DD/SIL got married right below on the Fogarty Creek beach, and the reception was in the park @ the gazebo. I already suggested it, but they wanted a place farther North for the gals having to come from WA.
Who ever arranges our spring retreat could look at this,hint,hint!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 AM

Surfrider looks like a really nice place. I'm not sure I know where Fogerty Creek is. It looks like it's the area between Lincoln City and Depot Bay...kinda like the Devil's Punch Bowl area? Gorgeous!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 AM

Fogarty Creek is about 3 mi N of Depot Bay, and has a small enchanting beach. The Surfrider has steps that lead down to it. And BTW, the restaurant @ The Surfrider is FABULOUS!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM

I was trying to place it to. I was thinking Beverly Beach which is closer to Newport. Fogarty is the one on the right as you head north just before Surfride. Duh. You would think having lived on the coast I would have been able to place it easy.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Hi all - I live in Seattle, WA and have never attended a quilt retreat before. I am very interested. Could you tell me what takes place. Is there a lot of quilting? Does anyone give lessons on anything? Is it possible to stay in a hotel and attend during the day. I have never slept in a room with anyone but my husband before so I think I would feel more comfortable in a hotel. What do you bring? Any and all information would be so appreciated.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jadet
Hi all - I live in Seattle, WA and have never attended a quilt retreat before. I am very interested. Could you tell me what takes place. Is there a lot of quilting? Does anyone give lessons on anything? Is it possible to stay in a hotel and attend during the day. I have never slept in a room with anyone but my husband before so I think I would feel more comfortable in a hotel. What do you bring? Any and all information would be so appreciated.
Hi jadet! I work in Tacoma...

At the last retreat we talked a LOT. We admired each other's work and some of us did some piecing, LOL. We had QuiltingNonie give a short lesson on paper piecing for those who were interested. It was pretty much do whatever you wanted. Lots and lots of fun.

I did not know anyone before I went but came home with 15 new friends. As for the sleeping, we did not do that until we were really tired so I don't think anyone cared who was in the next bunk. After the first night we did some shuffling around so that those who could sleep by the snorers were able to trade with those who could not.

Julie
Old 08-02-2011, 03:02 PM

You all notice that Cindy is already planning the spring retreat even though we haven't even begun the fall one? Too funny!

If there are hotels nearby and some who would rather stay there, we could make lots of new friends this fall! Will we get any work done? Hmmm...
Old 08-02-2011, 03:30 PM

The fall retreat is in Astoria,I know there are some hotels near by so some could stay in a hotel and come over during the day and sew with us.