"Turning Over a New Leaf #2" OBW with octagons >

"Turning Over a New Leaf #2" OBW with octagons

"Turning Over a New Leaf #2" OBW with octagons

Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 AM

wow beautiful
Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks so much for your comments everyone. I like the way the octagons has picked up the warmer colours in this fabric I guess this will vary from fabric to fabric!

amma, you put into words exactly what I was thinking about the flow etc and from now on it's at least 14 repeats of every fabric you buy, right? LOL...
pad I hope you and your daughter had a great time and you show us your results...
Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Hi all. I love making OBWs (some of you may have noticed! :lol: ) but I've always used the hexagon technique (from the One Block Wonder books by Maxine Rosenthal). When I saw the beautiful dragon OBW with octagons made by Karen K that she posted recently, I thought it was about time I gave octagons a try! I had some leaf fabric (sent me by the lovely gaigai :-D ) that I'd already made a hexagon OBW with so I though it would be fun to see the difference. So here's my finished top using octagons. It's 55" square. The second pic is a close up and the third pic is the original OBW with hexagon blocks.

I'd really appreciate comments and preferences regarding the two techniques. I think they each have merit myself. :-
K, do you use triangle shaped templates or just the lines on your long rulers?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 AM
k3n
Power Poster

[quote=nickylsf]
Originally Posted by k3n
K, do you use triangle shaped templates or just the lines on your long rulers?
Fo rthe hexagons you CAN use the 60 deg line on your ruler (but this won't work for the cubes). However, I have the Clearview 6" 60 deg template - so much easier!

For the octagons there is a template to trace off in the book for the size she recommends but I used the Marti Mitchell Kaleidoscope Ruler as I already had it. This means I can do octagons all different sizes and the setting squares for them without giving myself brain ache! I had the small one which does blocks up to 8" but have just got the regular size one (this is the one I'd recommend) as it covers blocks from 6" up to 16". :-D
Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Dkm

Glad you posted this question. I am interested in doing the obw and wanted to know the easiest pattern to start with. Also, what do I look for when choosing fabric. Do you go for favorites or something wild, animals or flowers?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM

Those OBW are on my list. Yours is beautiful.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dkm
Glad you posted this question. I am interested in doing the obw and wanted to know the easiest pattern to start with. Also, what do I look for when choosing fabric. Do you go for favorites or something wild, animals or flowers?
You need to get one of the books in the One Block Wonder series by Maxine Rosenthal. The octagons are only in the first one BTW. :-D
Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 AM

K, you make me dizzy. You are greased lightening! While looking at my "Magic Stack-n-Whack" book by Bethany Reynolds, I was wondering about doing octagons. Was it anymore difficult? I love how they turned out, but GOOD GRIEF, woman, I'm the proverbial snail compared to you.

I just received three yards of that fabulous fabric, Floral Master, from some crazy person from Toledo, Ohio. ***strange, though....the handwriting has a Texan accent*** Gai, thank you - I love you! I digress. That fabric is even more wonderful in person than in the pictures! Very vibrant colors and my mind is going on overload thinking about borders.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 AM

Awesome!! Trying to get my confidence up to try one!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilts.