Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Am I being to sensitive?? >

Am I being to sensitive??

Am I being to sensitive??

Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM

That is adorable! But you can never tell - I recently gave a pink and lavender batik very-girly quilt to a soon-to-be baby girl and parents casually mentioned they 'got the blanket' and their toddler son has taken it for his own.
LOL!!!
It will find a home there, I am sure.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by stitchntimesewing
I was invited to my daughters sister in-laws daughters baby shower and went. This is a family that we spend every thanksgiving with and see several times a year at other events. Needless to say I made a baby quilt for the coming baby boy. Their theme of monkeys and jungle was made known to me after I had already started the 9 patch blue blocks. Not a problem. I improvised and used monkeys on the boarders and baby jungle on the back. Here is what made me feel sad. Her husband was there and held it up and she said here is another blanket and sat back down in the box. A couple of gifts shown later and it was a fleece tied blanket with jungle theme. They oohed and aahed and her mother came over and took several pictures. This went on for several minutes. Now I didn't want adoration for the quilt but to have had more of an even aceptance would have been nice. It made me feel like they didn't like it. Well I feel better that I vented. Here is a couple of pics of the quilt. Oh by the way I also made a matching traveling changing pad and bought a jungle babies mobile that totally matched the animals.

I'd have been hurt, too. Those are the same monkeys my DD is using for her baby theme. Shower on the 6th and kiddo due 8-27. Does it help that we think your gift is great? It is!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Your quilt is lovely and you should be very proud. I receive hundreds of quilts, afghans and fleece blankets for my Linus chapter. When I bring them to the local facilities, the fleece blankets always get the most attention. I think it is the "feel" of the fleece, or the bulky nature....I often mention that the quilts are worth well over a hundred dollars each, and the fleece are often kits, but unless you are a crafter, it is hard to get them to understand the priceless nature of the quilts.
I adore wrapping up in my fleece blankets----------but pretty they aren't!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Your quilt is really cute! You do nice work. Please don't let rude folks get you down! They surely don't appreciate all the hard work, love and effort that went into it. Do know that the baby will have many hours of cuddling with it! :)
Old 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM

What a perfectly adorable quilt! Don't worry about them. The baby will love it. I don't blame you for feeling a little snubbed, but you will get your recognition here from people who know what they are talking about!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM

did you put a label on it where it could't be missed? A lot a quilts are "handquilted" in a manufacture...
Don't be shy...make it known that you made the quilt...
Yes, you should be hurt because you made an adorable ensemble and they were rude. EVEN if you hadn't made it... it was slap in the face... "oh another blanket"... toss...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 PM

The quilt is so cute, some people just are rude......
Old 07-15-2011, 02:24 PM

HOW RUDE! I love your quilt!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM

It is an absolutely beautiful baby quilt. I don't understand the need for a nursery with only one "theme". In 6 months everyone is bored with it. I have also found out that so many people just don't know how much, time, energy and money goes into a handmade quilt. Hopefully they will be educated by someone soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM

your quilt is adorable, I know you put a lot of work and caring into your beautiful quilt,some day you will hear "Thank you it is the babys favorite quilt,he doesn"t go anywhere without it...."