Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: awful... first quilt i ever "finished"

Okay so six years ago I was determinated to make a quilt and I knew no one who knew how to quilt so I set out to teach myself and slowly over the years I have improved, thank God. So, today I just found out I am pregnant with my second child, so I went looking through my daughters old baby stuff! Omg, I found this quilt, she LOVED IT, so I guess that is all that really matters. Looking at it the points do not match, clearly, LOL, it came apart a lot, so I hand stitched, I never quilter it, I had no idea how to so I tacked it with thread. All I can do is laugh, my new baby will have a little different. And I have now made some really nice quilts for my daughter, I just cannot believe how bad this one is. Lmbo. Hope you all get a kick out of it!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is very wrinkled so that doesn't help to much either! LOL

Banned
    I can definitely relate. My daughter likes to still use one of the first ones I ever made....I can only see my mistakes when I look at it. Needless to say, at least we learn from our mistakes. :)

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your next big event! It's good to keep those first efforts around, just to keep us humble.

But the most important line in your message was: My daughter loved it. Yep, she did, she didn't see the mistakes you see now, she just felt the love in it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Congratulations on your next big event! It's good to keep those first efforts around, just to keep us humble.

But the most important line in your message was: My daughter loved it. Yep, she did, she didn't see the mistakes you see now, she just felt the love in it.
    My thoughts exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost

I agree! She loved it and that is all that matters!

I just had to add though, you picked a really hard pattern for your first quilt and all things considered you did a pretty good job. Can't imagine making a lonestar as my first.

And what an ambitious project for your first one! Wow - you must have learned a LOT making it!

I've said before - before i started quilting I received several quilts as gifts over the years. When I look at them now I understand they are not very technically correct - even the ones by my beloved grandmother would not pass the mythical Quilt Police. But ... they were much loved, much used, and I felt so special that I was given such wonders!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I have to laugh! As a beginning quilting teacher, I can't tell you how many quilters-to-be want to start with the most difficult pattern first --- all those bias edges, all those not quite matching points, all those Y seam set-ins.....ugh!

Not in *my* class, they won't! I always say, "Lets' learn to make Brownies first, before we try to make the 4 tier wedding cake, okay?" It's amazing you even continued, but I'm SO glad you did! Think of the pleasures your children have now! :-D

Kudoes to you!

Jan in VA

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hey..don't be so hard on yourself..we all start somewhere! It is well loved...isn't that the point? Good for you!

Blog Entries
    Hee, Hee, my first quilt is coming out the same way, I'm so disappointed, but hey it's our first quilt right! Even though we would like to be experts it's just not happing for me....

When I finish mine up you can post a Hee, Hee too...LOL

But considering this was your first I think its pretty darn good too!

That quilt was loved so much and that's what is important.

First...you must remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and obviously your beholder loved it!

Second, it appears you chose one of the hardest patterns to make for your first quilt.

And last, why do we always see nothing but the flaws in our work.

Laugh.

Blog Entries
    Good morning! Thank you for posting these pics of your first quilt.. Sure made me laugh! You have a fun filled loving nature, don't you! Now show us some that you've made recently... Hugs and smiles to you!

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    Hey..don't be so hard on yourself..we all start somewhere! It is well loved...isn't that the point? Good for you!
    I agree with you on this one Charismah.
    It's beautiful and will be loved very much.

It is loved, that is what is most important.
    You did start with a difficult pattern!!!

Blog Entries
    Someone loves it. That's all that matters.

Blog Entries
    I haved wished many times I had my first quilt I ever made. I don't even remember what it was, probably log cabin as I made quite few and finally my daughter said MOM! you need to make something differant just for A change. :-D Keep it and charish it! Its great.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Good Job!!!! You finished it. What an accomplishment.

Blog Entries
    You picked a difficult design for your first quilt. The neat thing about your quilt is that it was made with love and I'm sure your daughter will always cherish it. lol...my children are 26 and 29 and put away in their closets at my place are the first baby quilts that I made them. (Both of them have their own homes.)
    They would never let me get rid of their baby quilts. One day, I'll send them home with them. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is a difficult one to choose to be your first! actually you did great for a first quilt!!

As long as it served its purpose. My family has worn out the first quilt I made,and when my son caught me giving it to the dog he whined till I tried to patch it back up,so as long as they are loved that is all that matters:)

I am attaching a photo of the quilt and how worn it became the last trip through the wash did it in. But I sewed it back up and they still use it:)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on your pregnancy, and thanks for sharing your first quilt. This quilt looked well loved :-) :-)

Your first quilt and you invented the Dimpled Lone Star Pattern! LOL Good for you! :o)

No quilt police. Just happy babies cuddling something that their mommy made.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast