Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A boo boo--I know better >

A boo boo--I know better

A boo boo--I know better

Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Franie,when I use the mitered corner I also do the same thing you do but I get the measurement of the sides and then pin the center and put my pins at the quarter inch seam at each end and then pin from end to center,this works well for me. Hope I explained this enough to make sense.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Well franie you are a brave soul. Your quilt is very lovely despite the waves but i will say I like the waves in the border. Gives it a nice ruffled look. I know that is not what you want but it is still lovely. Thank you for posting the pic.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

Franie, I was going to tell you to stand in the corner but since you're fixing it you don't have to :D
Beautiful quilt!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
That is a beautiful quilt and whatever you decide to do with the borders, it will still all be gorgeous. Don't feel bad about the mistake though. I'm assuming you're a veteran quilter and feel like you should be above a mistake like that, but we all have our moments. And those dang mitered corners are a pain in the rear!!!

Check out this bad boy picture below. You wanna talk about waves. :) I didn't redo, just hoped it would "quilt out". Second picture is an after picture.

Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Rachel, that came out BEAUTIFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:09 PM

It's a beautiful quilt, franie. The idea of miters for this one just boggles my mind. No need - as you know. Another thing newbies might want to take note of is: Do not measure the edges of your quilt for borders. Measure through the centers! You can always ease in a bit of stretchiness and get everything nice and square. I mark centers and quarters - eighths if I need to - and ends to make sure that any easing I need to do is evened out. Mr. Seam Ripper - the guest that refuses to leave....
Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

WOW< it really is a beautiful quilt though!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Kas

Wow! Again! It is very pretty. And maybe it would have quilted out. Rachel's did! It is beautiful, too!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM

The quilt is beautiful, looks like once you fix your border you should earn your ribbon, and if not from the judges then at least from your friends here. Looks great. Don't worry about having to Unsew, we quilters have to remind ourselves that the short cuts don't pay off. I remind myself all the time. I'm a professional unsewer.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

A time saving and better sewing border tip I learned from a quilting perfectionist was if there was more than one border sew all the borders together first then you only have one border to add to the quilt. And to tiny zig zag around the quilt top before measuring.

Anyone remember a quilt show or video that showed how to guarantee no wavy borders by just sewing them on without measuring? I wish I could remember who that was. I wasn't into quilting that much then and didn't really pay attention.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by franie
This I hope will be a good lesson for newbies. Hanging head in shame.
Your quilt is beautiful :D:D:D

Don't hang your head in shame... many ideas/short cuts turn out well...and then some don't.... This is how we learn :D:D:D