Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
BUCKET HATS >

BUCKET HATS

BUCKET HATS

Old 08-19-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Help, I think I am having a senior moment, I really cannot understand this part of the pattern

1.With RIGHT sides together, pin the center back seam of the crown, matching notches. Stitch in a 1/2" seam and press open. Machine stitch 1/2" from single-notched edge of crown. Clip to machine stitching.
I have been at it for about 2 hours and really cannot figure it out, tell me it's me being stupid!
Now I am really get in a muddle as right thro' the pattern it says "right sides together" and I can't figure out how to turn the hat right side out, is there an easier way :oops:
Old 08-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

How cool!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
Once again, here is the link for the FREE pattern. I got my pattern at Betz White, but it was $12! The FREE pattern looks the same to me:

http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/ind...ge=page&id=126
I am a big, tall woman with a head that just doesn't fit most women's hats.....to my great surprise, these come in three sizes! I'm going to make a Large and hope for the best....and if it still doesn't fit, I can give that one away and try to make the pattern bigger----but right now I have hope for FINALLY wearing a cute (not men's) hat!!!! Thank you so much!!!
I know how you feel! Sounds like we are built the same. My head size is 7 5/8!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Help, I think I am having a senior moment, I really cannot understand this part of the pattern

1.With RIGHT sides together, pin the center back seam of the crown, matching notches. Stitch in a 1/2" seam and press open. Machine stitch 1/2" from single-notched edge of crown. Clip to machine stitching.
I have been at it for about 2 hours and really cannot figure it out, tell me it's me being stupid!
Now I am really get in a muddle as right thro' the pattern it says "right sides together" and I can't figure out how to turn the hat right side out, is there an easier way :oops:
OK. Here's how I do it (ignore the directions). I make one complete hat. Sew the side piece(s) together making a ring. Sew the brim pieces(s) together making another ring. Now sew the side ring to the top circle. When that's done, sew the brim to the side piece. 1 hat is now made. Do the other exactly the same. Take the 2 hats, right sides together (set 1 inside the other) and sew all around the bottom of the brim EXCEPT
Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 AM

OK. Here's how I do it (ignore the directions). I make one complete hat. Sew the side piece(s) together making a ring. Sew the brim pieces(s) together making another ring. Now sew the side ring to the top circle. When that's done, sew the brim to the side piece. 1 hat is now made. Do the other exactly the same. Take the 2 hats, right sides together (set 1 inside the other) and sew all around the bottom of the brim EXCEPT for a few inches. Turn right sides out, press the bottom of the brim and stitch the opening closed. I stitch all around the very bottom edge and then make another row (or 2) of stitches about an inch apart.

I'm going to make another hat later today and I'll try to take pictures of each step.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Thank you so much for your help, I did it that way as I found this on the web: http://hippiepunk.wordpress.com/tag/bucket-hat/ and this is the result, I think she is going to love it as she adores pinks n purples/lilac.

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../HatforLiz.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...HatforLiz2.jpg[/IMG]

I thought she would like the Yo yo but I put it on so she didn't wear it back to front and show the seams :oops:

Quiltinvca thank you so much for sharing this as I know there will be a lot of members who can find uses for such a useful, n pretty hat.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 PM

OK, hope this makes sense

2 hats being put together (right sides together)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243986[/ATTACH]

Pin 2 hats together along bottom of brim
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243987[/ATTACH]

Sewn together EXCEPT for few inches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243988[/ATTACH]

Pull hats inside out (right sides are now on the outside)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243989[/ATTACH]

Finished hat
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243990[/ATTACH]

Reverse side of hat
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243991[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-243980.jpe   attachment-243981.jpe   attachment-243982.jpe   attachment-243983.jpe   attachment-243984.jpe  

attachment-243985.jpe  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Your hat is darling. Love the idea of a yoyo; very cute idea that I intend to copy.

I hope others will post pictures of their hats -- never thought a silly hat would generate so much interest!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jmabby
I also would like the pattern for going to the state fair.
thanks
I just had to scroll back to see which state this comment came from. LOL! I had a suspicion it was us, we do like our State Fair !!!! Those hats are wonderful. I too would like to make one or two.

:thumbup:
Old 08-20-2011, 03:11 AM

quiltinvca, that is how I did it, in the end after hours looking at that stupid pattern, or was it me being stupid :oops:

Also when I turned them the right side out and stitched up the hole I did two rows of stitching on the rim, 1/4" apart to "set" it and give it a bit of extra stiffness.

I think also, on my next one, which I am making today, I will put a button or just a stitch on the top so they don't wrinkle up in the wash, what do you think?