Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Chain Reaction - Final Pic on Page 6 >

Chain Reaction - Final Pic on Page 6

Chain Reaction - Final Pic on Page 6

Old 04-30-2008, 07:05 AM

FABULOUS!!!!! That is one beautiful quilt!
Riley
Old 04-30-2008, 07:36 AM
lin

[quote=PatriceJ
well .... if you absolutely insist. :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: [/quote]
I'm not usually the pushy sort, but uhhhh...yeah, I insist! :D :D
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Izy

Patrice, just caught up with this thread, your quilt is delightful, and you really should take a bow!! :D
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Izy

Patrice, just caught up with this thread, your quilt is delightful, and you really should take a bow!! :D

Did you use your open toed foot to quilt the fleur de lys???
Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by Steve
Could you maybe please post instructions so I could simply gander, scratch the balding, and leave it be after the notion of maybe? Yikes, it is an amazing piece (in my noggin anywho)! :thumbup:
"advance customers" would get abridged versions, tailored to the finished size they're shooting for, the size squares they're comfortable working with, fabric estimates, step-by-step illustrations, etc. at a significant discount, since i'd use whatever i developed for you as a section in the final e-book.

That's me... advanced customer. Although I swore I would not do another chain for a looooong looong time, I might be enticed back into one by your design...

tim in san jose
Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 AM

Wow! What a beautiful, splendid quilt! :D
I never thought about a special design in the center, either.
Did you quilt as you go? You said you were making the "sandwich"?

How long did this take to make? machine pieced?

I have to make a quilt for my daughter's wedding present, which will be due in October, and I'm looking for something splendid and easy.
Is it possible?

purple
Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

the strips were 2", so the squares finished at 1.5"

the design in the center is not a fleur de lis. it's a medievalish cross-kinda thing. technically, a medievalish x-kinda thing, but i turned it on its side to fit in the white area. the same design is quilted in all the the white centers. i used red thread in the center block and off-white on all the others. yes, i used and open toe foot to quilt that design.

because i'm trying to improve my skills using methods other than QAYG, i only prequilted the centers, trimmed away the batting from behind all but the centers, then assembled the blocks, sandwiched with another layer of batting and a one-piece back. i used polyester batting because i was out of my favorite cotton. machine quilting on polyester batting isn't working well for this particular quilt. it's basted every inch and a half, but even with a walking foot it's giving me fits. i had to put it away for a while or it was headed for the incinerator. :shock: :lol: :x :lol:

i guess by the time i get this one quilted, i'll have the bugs worked out so the other two will go together with less frustration.

it took me about a month to make enough blocks for a HUGE quilt. i'm very, very slow and only have an hour or so each weekday to work on my quilts. the amount of time i have on weekends varies. factor in ripit and recut time.

because of all the different colors and fabrics (3 reds, 1 yellow, 1 green and 2 "whites") i wouldn't say this is an easy quilt. however, i do think you could easily get any size you wanted to make completed by October.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Love those colors! I've done doubles and triples, but nothing that elaborate - I'd be tearing my hair out!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:59 PM

ok ok i get it now (i think ) i have been scratching my head over the pre-quilting part. basically what you did was trapunto right?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

a lzay version of kinda sorta trapunto, yes. i didn't cut away in detail ... just the shape of the center "diamond"