Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Checkered Dresden >

Checkered Dresden

Checkered Dresden

Old 11-23-2016, 05:48 PM

Default Checkered Dresdens

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I love it! However, these Dresdens looks like dart boards to me.
I did actually think the same thing with certain colours; I did in fact make a dartboard block 30 years ago when making my 1st Sampler Quilt - I'd run out of most fabrics but needed one last block so I made a dartboard block![ATTACH=CONFIG]562681[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 102_3045.jpg   102_3039.jpg  
Old 11-23-2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I really like your quilt. Believe it or not----I just ask the members here about purchasing the wedge dresden template! Did you use this particular template from MSQC? I really like the checkered affect you get. Thx for any input on this.
I used the EZ Dresden Quilt template which gives an 8" blade (I think from Nancy's Notions) I couldn't see what size Jenny's template was in the video but we use 4 x 2.5" strips sewn together to give an 8" width and this template fitted exactly - I used a Bali Pop pack. Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by SewCraftyGirl View Post
Great job... looks complicated!
Not at all, the biggest problem is deciding which 4 strips to put together because we can't envisage the final colour arrangement until we cut a wedge/blade out and put some together. If we do as I did at first and chose 4 colours I liked best to get the 2 main pink blocks, it takes on less of a dartboard look. You can just choose 4 fabrics you like and make strips out of those. I don't normally like scrappy quilts because they have too many colours and don't look organized!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I forgot to say that I think this pattern would be nice in Christmas or Halloween fabric. Just a thought!
Yes I agree and think I might have seen a similar one somewhere!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I love the not-so-scrappy look. I have mega problems with "random" scrappy. And I also love that you chose to add the extra row. Beautiful work! I can see my bucket list getting longer and longer.
I just hope your bucket hasn't got a hole in it LOL!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I've got a couple of dresden plate templates. I would imagine that if the correct number of wedges are made, it would work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
No, you're not wrong, as per my comment re the EZ template, all you need is an 8" template and 8" of fabric. A friend is about to order the Go! Cutter Dresden pack but I can see from the pic online that the blades will be smaller, therefore she will have smaller blocks. Jenny Doan uses 21" blocks, mine are 20" so depending on the overall size of our finished Dresden, we can change block sizes too.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by annette1952 View Post
It turned out gorgeous! I made 2 of the checkered Dresden blocks by Jenny to make a couple pillows for my sister. I couldn't believe how fast it all came together. I love Jenny's tutes
So do I but I just wish she wouldn't keep coming up with new ideas so quickly, we can't keep up LOL!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:09 PM

Nice Dresden quilt.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Thank you all very much for your kind compliments. I'm pleased that you like my quilt so much and hope that my reply comments help those who have asked, and those who are less brave to take the challenge yet.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
No, I meant after you have sewn onto background. I do it all the time.....with hand applique or machine......one can even do it with iron on fusible if you just "window" that fusible....but to each his own......you did a great job..hope your difficulty improves.
Geri, as usual with us quilters and sewers, our brains function after we've walked away from a question and, thinking of your reply here, the idea of QAYG is to put all pieces together at once, thereby completing a block in one go, ie backing, batting and quilt top, then all 3 are stitched together (which I'm sure you know already so forgive my preaching to the converted); so whilst your ideas might work in some applications for general applique, I don't think it would work with QAYG. We would need to prepare the Dresden and apply it to the quilt top fabric, trim away unwanted background fabric then layer onto the batting and backing for quilting which would mean 2 extra steps in the process. I hope my writing this explanation will help some who are less experienced in our wonderful hobby.

Last edited by Ada Shiela; 11-23-2016 at 07:43 PM. Reason: incomplete explanation