Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Disappointed >

Disappointed

Disappointed

Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM

How disappointing for you. I'm so sorry you are unhappy with the quilting. I had the same thing happen to me. It was such a pretty quilt but I can hardly look at it now because I feel the quilting just ruined it. I don't think I would unquilt it though. Good luck finding a different quilter to take your treasures to in the future.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Muv
Why not just chuck it straight on your bed and use it to death? Have breakfast in bed as often as possible, laugh cheerfully when you get tea and marmalade on it, shrug off the butter marks as being the result of being dopey in the mornings, and give it a thorough washing twice a year. Before you know it you will have worn it out, and then you will realise how fond you were of it.
I like your train of thought

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22 PM

It is hard to see, but if you are not happy, don't use this person again! :-)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 PM

I am so sorry about your quilt.I have taken out machine quilting on a queen size quilt, I paid a lady that has a big business in another state to quilt a Christmas gift,and it was a mess! It is a great big job and you may loose the backing due to holes. I worked from the back, with the batting between the top and back (hope that makes sense) so I would not make a hole in my top.this made it a little easier. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM

I am attaching 2 pictures of a star quilt that I have just finished. I took it to a LAQ and chose a pantograph pattern with loose loops and stars. I thought the stars might be overkill, but it worked out perfectly. I am thrilled. I would encourage you to look for a new LAQ and discuss and have in writing the pattern you have chosen.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266049.jpe   attachment-266050.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM

These came out beautifully! I think the main thing that works is the thread choice. Had a varigated thread (or darker color) been used, you would probably not liked it as well.
These are beautiful.

Originally Posted by addy
I am attaching 2 pictures of a star quilt that I have just finished. I took it to a LAQ and chose a pantograph pattern with loose loops and stars. I thought the stars might be overkill, but it worked out perfectly. I am thrilled. I would encourage you to look for a new LAQ and discuss and have in writing the pattern you have chosen.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 PM

Yes, I agree about the thread colour - I chose "Parchment" so it is not intrusive. However, there must be instances when varigated thread will work - for instance, I have just finished "Blooming Steps" - a scrappy quilt with black background. I wish I had found the LAQ before I started quilting it myself. However, I have used a varigated thread, and it looks rather nice.I am still sewing on the binding - it is almost a king size and taking ages. (Wow, the camera sure shows all the little threads etc!)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266052.jpe   attachment-266053.jpe  
Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 AM

I like the quilt. The quilting is not easy to see but I don't see what is wrong. Since you are not happy for a second time I would find someone else to do it. I've never sent anything to a LA but there is a lady on this board name Charismah and her work is absolutely stunning. I am such a fan of her quilting. Maybe you should try her or someone else on the board.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 AM

You did a good job on the quilting. And, yes, varigated has its place in quilting, but you have to audition any thread choices. I have looked at a top, decided on a color...pulled out 3 ft off the cone & draped it over a quilt....ugh! I then wonder what made me think it was a good choice. Now, I usually pull three or four shades/types...and lay them out on the top...and choose from those. If it's a customer's quilt...they pick several colors they like...and we audition those...they get to choose from that...and if they are unsure...I'll make suggestions, even picking a totally different thread...and letting them see what I've chosen.
I will be using a rainbow varigated on my granddaughter's dragon quilt, as it will have a black background, with multi-color sashings...and the dragons are 10 different patterns/colors (embroidery). On this one...varigated will work. If it were white background, I wouldn't use the varigated. On white background, sometimes the varigateds are overpowering, which distracts from the quilt. Pastel varigateds are ok usually on white/lite colors, but depends on the pattern of the quilt.

Originally Posted by addy
Yes, I agree about the thread colour - I chose "Parchment" so it is not intrusive. However, there must be instances when varigated thread will work - for instance, I have just finished "Blooming Steps" - a scrappy quilt with black background. I wish I had found the LAQ before I started quilting it myself. However, I have used a varigated thread, and it looks rather nice.I am still sewing on the binding - it is almost a king size and taking ages. (Wow, the camera sure shows all the little threads etc!)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 AM

You did a good job on it...the person who did the original work did probably have it on the machine incorrectly...it happens.