Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Disappointed >

Disappointed

Disappointed

Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Did she use a panto? Did she work freehand? Does she use a computer? Can't see the quilting very well but it does not seem to go along with the theme and style of the quilt. Maybe you should look for a different longarmer whose style and taste matches your own. Ask to see samples and pics of their work first. I like your quilt tho, but I agree the quilting does not do it justice.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Regarding this post in response to another's about trying to communicate with a quilter about you want:
Originally Posted by Mad Mimm
I have a similar problem with hairdressers. I don't speak their language very well and have trouble putting into words what I want. I had a long conversation with my last hairdresser and basically asked her for tips and recommendations on how to communicate my needs better. I got some great feedback from her and have been a happy camper since. If you decide to try this LA again, have a talk with her and see if she can help you communicate your wishes more clearly. I think your quilt piecing and colors are lovely, but I'm not crazy about the panto quilt design. Still, I'd try putting it away for a spell and then pulling it out and seeing if you still want to rip it out before you go to all that work. Good luck!
I chuckled to myself about Mad Mimm's post re hairdresser. I go to one of those drop-in & get whomever you get places. The hd's keep copious notes on their computer regarding what say I want/like, even down to how long I want certain parts of my hair cut. However, I've noted that even despite those very specific notes, results may vary. Considerably!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 AM

the first quilt I had done by a LA quilter-she charged way too much-the job was nice but I wanted leaves and she hated doing leaves so I got feathers. The second LA quilter I met at the LQS-we talked and I saw samples and we decided on a pattern. About 1/3 the cost of the first and the design was all I could hope for. After that I just told her to 'do you own thing' as we seemed on the same page. She did that on my nieces quilt and the quilting was perfect for the quilt design and fabric. She has on left as I can't seem to do the big ones on my machine. I will use her again as she was outstanding and I love her work!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 AM

To me it looks as if it is lines with no purpose or reason. If she did any pattern I can not see it. It is a little hard to see all of it, but what I can see does not enhance the quilt.

Before you take your quilt to another LA, see some of the quilts he/she has done. I would rather pay a little more and like it.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Sometimes the price of education comes high....been telling myself and children that for years. Now you know what questions to ask and what to insist on. It might look a little better to you once washed ... more old-timey. Or, you can use it as a gift. It is nice and will be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
mim

Hairdressers can be frustrating -- moving between coasts as I do -- half the year I like it -- but I haven't found a west coast one yet.
When I backpacked in other countries, I gave up and cut it myself. Try to tell someone when you don't speak the language and styles are so different. -- Even to buy a band aid became a real experience - unless I found a blackmarket stall where I could point. It was a lot of fun!!

Mim
[quote=Mad Mimm]
I have a similar problem with hairdressers. I don't speak their language very well and have trouble putting into words what I want. I had a long conversation with my last hairdresser and basically asked her for tips and recommendations on how to communicate my needs better. I got some great feedback from her and have been a happy camper since.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 PM

It can be done. I had an applique quilt and the quilter sewed on top of every piece of applique with monofilament thread. I clipped the stitches in the back and then pulled them loose from the top. It ruined my batting but at least I got it apart (hubby helped after I showed him how.) It took a long time but after I had it quilted again I was so happy I had taken the time.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lotsapies
To me it looks sloppy-she did a random star pattern, I think I would of been happier with a tighter pattern. My question is can this be taken out without damaging the quilt?
I am a longarm quilter and I agree, this was a poor choice for your quilt. Sometimes we misjudge what will look good, but after a few mistakes, we learn what would and wouldn't look good. This quilt needs a pattern with round shapes instead of points, to contrast with the stars on the quilt. "Popcorn" or "waterworld" would have been much better choices.
I don't recommend taking it out - it would be very difficult and you would probably make holes in the quilt. Your best bet, unfortunately, may be to live with it.

"waterworld" by Jodi Beamish
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265912[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265859.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Just a footnote. If you know how you want your next quilt quilted, just remember a good custom job is going to cost you more than pantograph or meandering. Important to ask what the LAQer charges for custom vs panto or meandering.
Originally Posted by Lotsapies
I agree-I think I'm at fault here for not telling her what I wanted in the first place. Basically I was happy with the quilt until I got it quilted. From now on I'll be more vocal in what I want. I didn't even look at it till I got it home.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 PM

You can take out the quilting & redo it. I do quilting on a longarm machine, and 90% of customers will say, "Do what you want, use a thread you think looks good." Scary thought, those words are.

This is really not the longarm operator nor you at fault...it's miscomunication/misconception.

Next time, wether you use this person or not...get some ideas of what you want on the quilt...webshots is great for this. Do a search for Star Quilt...lots will come up...find some close in design and color as yours...then decide what you like.

Let the quilter know what you want, what color thread, design, etc.

Did you pay for a basic all over design, semi custom, or custom? I think the all over stars desgin would have worked as a basic all over design..but in white, or a light silver thread...maybe 60 wt, so the thread would blend into the quilt more.
your 2nd quilt looks ok for what I can see. it's hard to tell without a closeup of the stitching.