Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Disappointed >

Disappointed

Disappointed

Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 AM

I have taken all the quilting out of a kingsize quilt that was only 3/4 done when the LA'er returned it. It was a mess...she had stretched it(a lot of equilateral triangles) and then had the audacity to charge me and tell me it was my fault. Another LA'er helped me rip stitches and she said it had been loaded crooked ( who do you believe???) Anyway, removed all the quilting (many, many, many hours later) and re-quilted it myself on my Janome 6600. I was very proud of the finished quilt and I could actually say "I did it myself...start to finish". I got my Tin Lizzie shortly thereafter.

This is the kingsize quilt I ripped all the quilting out of. While I only did echoing the seams...I am still extremely proud of the finished quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265657[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265604.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 04:04 AM

That is sooo sad that you are so disappointed. But the answer to your question is YES.... it can all be ripped out and done all over again. Speaking from experience here... I am a longarmer as well and have had to do it.
Rose
Old 10-03-2011, 04:26 AM

So sorry you are unhappy with the quilting! Here is a link to Leah Day's suggestions for making firends with your seam ripper. If she can remove her stitches, yours should be a piece of cake! http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...es-ripper.html
Old 10-03-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lotsapies
I just finished my second quilt called "royal order". I took it to a person to quilt that was recommended. I got the quilt back and I have to say I am sick. Has anyone ever taken out an entire quilting job or am I being to harsh. I think it ruined my quilt. I went ahead and bound it. I have done two quilts and she has quilted both. The first time I thought it was just me.
I have several contacts at the shop that have been so disappointed in the quilting and took out the entire quilt It is time consuming. It takes a lot of practice to become a good machine quilter always ask to see a sample of their work.
Good Luck.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 AM

Before you rip, what is the quilt going to be used for? If it is for a child, then I wouldn't take the time to rip. Maybe you can use it for a donation quilt and start over. And then time to find a new long armer. Sorry you are disappointed. Communication is so important between you and the person doing the quilting. Have you seen other work that she has done?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 AM

To me it looks sloppy-she did a random star pattern, I think I would of been happier with a tighter pattern. My question is can this be taken out without damaging the quilt?
Yes, I took out a whole quilt that someone had done a very bad job on. Mine was wrinkled and other mistakes. Took a long time but it was ok. Glad I did.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:41 AM

Thanks for all the responses. As this is my second quilt I dont think I was aggressive enough in stating what I wanted. (Since at this point of the game I am not sure what to really ask) I also worried I would insult the person who has a good heart. I think in the future I will try and do it myself for awhile-until I learn more. I think I'll move on to number 3 and take this as a lesson learned-I know what I like.

Heres a pic of my daisy doodle-Quilt #1
I can't really see any problem with the quilting but it's not my hard work. If you don't like it, that's all that matters.

But if you're not clear on what you want then how can the LAQ know what you want her to do? My LAQ asks very specific questions - which I am grateful for as sometimes she's asked things I hadn't thought of - but she's been in the business for a while. She also has samples of quilting patterns she can do displayed where you can see them when you go to her shop. All of the info is written down and I sign the agreement before I leave. I don't think you need to worry about hurting feelings, nice person or not - you are hiring her to do a job - no more and no less.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I was sadly disappointed in the last one I sent out also, but she did such a good job on first too...I know she had a lot going on (she's a freind) so I didn't say anything, but will be more specific from now on with her. I thought about pulling out the stitches, but decided that nope, I wasn't crazy about the quilt to begin with, I wasn't putting that much work into it. Yours is beautiful!! Maybe it will grow on you?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 AM

I wish that she had done a better job on the white stars where it's so obvious, but it's still a beautiful quilt.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 AM

The quilt is beautiful and I too would be disappointed in the quilting. Looks to me like just just meandered all over the quilt with different designs with many points and straight lines.

My question for you is why take it out? It would take hours. I would tell her of my dissatisfaction and get some or all of money money back, then chalk it up to experience.