Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Embarrassing Bias Quilt >

Embarrassing Bias Quilt

Embarrassing Bias Quilt

Old 08-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Banned

Nothing to be embarrased about this beauty; Fantastic job!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 AM

It's beautiful!

And I would have cut the striped fabric the same as you did!

I cut my fabric whatever way looks best. If it's stretchy, just do a stay stitch 1/8th inch from the edge. A lot of patterns call for cutting on the bias then the stay stitch. Some people like to use starch to keep it from stretching.

But, remember, quilting is an "Art!"
Old 08-27-2010, 04:25 AM

I may be wrong, but you did not cut your strips on the bias. If you cut selvage to selvage it is on the crosswise grain, parallel to the selvage (or length wise - as I think you did) it is on the lengthwise grain. Bias would be if you had cut it on the diagonal....right? I would have cut it the way you did so the designs on the fabric went the way I wanted it. No boo boo, just good designing. Enjoy your quilt!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Very nice, great job, glad you were able to tame the "bias beast" It sure doesn't look like it is going anywhere now.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by GoBama
Many thanks for all the kind words, but I think this quilt will never leave home. I'm new to this craft and so want to do things correctly. When someone who 'knows' indicates I've done a boo boo, it is discouraging, but educational as well. Live, quilt and learn I guess.
if it didn't fall apart while you were piecing it together you did it right. at least to me. if you are happy with it and like the look then you did it right. as many on here have said, unless you are entering a show with rules, there is no right way or wrong way to quilt. However I will add that if it falls apart while you are sewing, then that just means that you need to make the stitch langth shorter and pay more attention to that 1/4" seam that everyone talks about.
I am new to quilting also and am far from perfect. I had one lady in a quilt shop who worked there almost yell at me for not making my binding double. which would have ment cutting almost 6" strips to fold in half and then sew and then fold again. I think that she just wanted to sell more fabric. :lol: . I did it her way and it didn't turn out any better than any other binding that I have done single fold. but that is just me. I love the quilt by the way. even if the quilt police at Joanns said that you did it wrong. I hope that I can do mine that wrong. hehe :mrgreen:
Old 08-27-2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
Many thanks for all the kind words, but I think this quilt will never leave home. I'm new to this craft and so want to do things correctly. When someone who 'knows' indicates I've done a boo boo, it is discouraging, but educational as well. Live, quilt and learn I guess.
if it didn't fall apart while you were piecing it together you did it right. at least to me. if you are happy with it and like the look then you did it right. as many on here have said, unless you are entering a show with rules, there is no right way or wrong way to quilt. However I will add that if it falls apart while you are sewing, then that just means that you need to make the stitch langth shorter and pay more attention to that 1/4" seam that everyone talks about.
I am new to quilting also and am far from perfect. I had one lady in a quilt shop who worked there almost yell at me for not making my binding double. which would have ment cutting almost 6" strips to fold in half and then sew and then fold again. I think that she just wanted to sell more fabric. :lol: . I did it her way and it didn't turn out any better than any other binding that I have done single fold. but that is just me. I love the quilt by the way. even if the quilt police at Joanns said that you did it wrong. I hope that I can do mine that wrong. hehe :mrgreen:
Heck I don't even use the bias fabric. I just fold the back over the front twice and stitch there. Maybe it's old fashioned but it's easier then doing that bias thing. My quilts are for my use or for those I give it to.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 AM

So cheery. Another one for my to do list LOL
Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 AM

I had a clerk in Hancock Fabrics store tell me my color choices were all wrong and laughed at them. Other customers seemed to like them and gave constructive help. She continued to ridicule to the point that one woman and her husband told her it was my quilt and not hers. The other customers agreed and I thanked them all. As I walked away I heard her loudly say to another clerk "Boy the stupids are out today". I reported her to the manager and she said "Oh
thats just Rochelle". I didn't return for a few weeks and when I did she was not there. Hopefully she is gone.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:21 AM

Someone who "KNOWS"? Ha! No one I've ever encountered made a scrappy quilt by cutting on the bias. I've seen pattern pieces for complicated pieced blocks that indicate an arrow where to cut on the straigt grain. But certainly not on scrappies.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 AM

I'm also confused by what you mean 'on the bias' as said earlier that's cutting on the 45 degree angle. Unless maybe you are talking about the stripes themselves and not the fabric per se? I think it's one of the most bright and colorful quilts out there.