Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Finally got eight points together... >

Finally got eight points together...

Finally got eight points together...

Old 10-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

His and her machines for Christmas?????? Hint Hint Hint :lol:
Old 10-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks! Here is the latest, and though once again not perfection (the Texas Star), I did learn in the doing.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-55813.jpe  
Old 10-16-2007, 06:04 PM

I'm thinking about using tape for the cross angles because I've tried many types of marking tools and am still left unsatisfied. My eyes are weak and even in a sunlit room I'm having difficulties seeing my markings and thus, I believe the uneven sewing. It could also be that sewing is new to me and I've yet to develop all the skills necessary. Still it's fun and I love doing them (the stars).
Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I think you did a awesome job on this star! Good Job and pat your self on the back!!!!! :D 8) :D 8)

When you said you are thinking about using tape, do you mean tape the pieces before sewing them together?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 PM

No, what I mean is use the tape as the sewing line, minus the two or three threads it takes accounting for loft in the turn/press. I just can't see the line to sew aside it. As I said, I've poor vision and though I've tried a few things, from chalk, pencils, and soap stone I still cannot see accurately enough to do what needs doing.

I've considered lasik in the past and now quilting is egging me on; having been in glasses since three though, and I know it sounds silly, that seems akin to renouncing a good friend (my specks).

Ah well I'm learning, so that's that. Thanks amma for the inspiration and encouragement (and understanding), as always, it is appreciated. I plan to try the Texas Star with the strip-pieced and traditional methods eventually.

Hum, now I'm wondering is there a paper pieced version as well?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

I understand about the vision issues, have worn glasses since I was 8 and should have had them years before that, LOL, but did not know any better. I checked into lasik surgery last summer and decided against it. My new eye doc suggested several strengths of bifocals, for different lighting and distances, wow, what a difference. She even suggested getting dollar store ones to try out first, to help keep the inital cost down.
I also found that a clear presser foot helps me to see markings much better than a metal one. Maybe it is a visual thing or I am just weird, just a suggestion to maybe try one and see if it helps.
Now if I can find a paper pieced Texas Star, I just may make one too! LOL
Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM

"I also found that a clear presser foot helps me to see markings much better than a metal one." I didn't know such things were available, it might be an excellent investment for me. Thanks! :D
Old 10-16-2007, 08:05 PM

WOW!! That is totally awesome!! I really love your color choices. You do such great work!!
About the lasik, my oldest brother was legally blind, had the surgery and now has no need for glasses or contacts except when reading very very fine print. He's very glad he had it done but has to use drops daily. Which he, not as nicely, says is a pain in the rump, but worth being able to see (especially colors) so clearly. Unfortunately, I'm not eligable for lasik because of the shape of my eyes, but with my glasses I can see almost perfectly. Not that being able to see them helps my points come out correctly though. LOL I'm happy if they are even close!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 PM

One star nut to anohter: that is an AWESOME star, Steve. I'm jealous. Your color choices are great. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 PM

I’ve been legally blind (correctable) since I was six years old. My grandfather taught me to melt crayons with a magnifying glass, and I went about melting and making castles a la Disney. When I went to school the next year the nurse slapped and scolded me saying that no one could possibly loose sight as rapidly as I did (three months), thumping my head she said “Now read that chart!” which of course I could not possibly do. With burnt out corneas I was put in bifocals early on, and have been in thick specks ever since.

So lessons then and lessons now, I think for the first attempts they’ve turned out rather well. At least the color scheme is nice and 'some' of the points worked out well.

One thing I did note. The suggestion to halt the machine and hand crank does work. True, I failed to get all things even, if nothing else each attempt spurs on knowledge and incentive. What I wouldn’t give to have Granny or Grandmother here for a lesson or two…