Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got eight points together...

Sew, I finally managed an eight-point star. Though far from perfect I think it encouraged me enough to keep trying. I donít know what possessed me to make the star black and the background yellow rather than reversed, but I like it. My machine still has a hard time going through so much fabric all at once and Iím eyeing a used Pfaff for just that reason. The little Janome is great but that much fabric is just too much for the little thing to handle I fear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice one Steve :thumbup: That's as good as I ever get them :D I find an older machine goes thru many layers better than the computerised ones, the computerised ones can get a bit tetchy about that :lol: . Have got a 30 year old Bernina that'll chug thru anything.

steve, i love the color choice. you did good.

You did a great great job!!! If you outquilt the rest of us in less than a year....... :shock: :shock: ......well, well, well, I just don't know what we'll do, wiggle the star at you or something!! :mrgreen:

Happy Quilting,
    Sharon

looking good!

Blog Entries
    Why not black as the star, not the background? It looks good! The only way I was ever to get the points to match was to hand sew it!

Steve,

It looks great, and very close to perfect. And don't worry about upsetting God. His perfection is on such a higher level, we'll never get close in this life. But as a Creator, He loves our creativity. So, go for it! :D

After I took the picture I ended up cutting down the seams where they intersect and look wonky and they actually shored up a bit better. I'll do another in more apparant colors next time so you can actually see the work.

I wonder what quilting through the diamonds would look like?

:wink:

lin
    Wow, that's really good Steve!! Took me forever to get intersections that good. I like the black on a light background. Nothing wrong with that.

That looks great Steve!! Are you using it in a quilt that you're working on?

Hadn't planned on it. I know it is silly, but since I'm new to it all I often just find myself working on such things as a way of practice. Each time I try something I learn. My question on this one is why I get the little comma form in the intersections? I'm sure the answer sits somewhere between the loft, stitching and pressing. There must be an answer just waiting to be found. :D

You really did a good job Steve. If you cut all your pieces perfect, sew all your seams perfect, etc...then we'd probably all hate you. LOL just kidding! Practice is probably the best teacher.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful Job! I like the bold dark star, it shows up more dramatically! You did a great job on the points, and you should be very proud of this block! :D :D :D

I really like the star black and the background yellow!! It looks very manly!

Nice job Steve! :thumbup: All these, um, practice pieces will make a cool sampler quilt..... let me know when you're ready to ship it down to SoCal & I'll PM my address :mrgreen:

Steve, I find your remark inappropriate and offensive, as if God is worried about you or anybody being perfect. As far as the star, it's pretty good.

kathy

I agree with Kathy. I have been trying to figure out a way to say it for the past couple of days, without adding further insult to injury; Kathy summed it up perfectly!! Please keep comments like that to yourself, or at least off of this message board.

My husband really likes this one Steve, so much that he asked me the other day when am I gonna teach him how to do this one? I told him as soon as I learn :wink: . Its so much fun to having a shared interest!!!

I agree with your hubby, stars are cool. There is a neat book out called "Stars by Magic" by Nancy Johynson-Srebro that I got half priced over at Joanne's. It shows how to make a lot of nice stars from only squares and rectangles. I want to go through and do several to get the swing of things. She even gives instructions for a small lone star done in this manner.

I had a lady at work tell me her father quilted, and made excellent stars and compasses. She said he'd get about a half-inch to the center and then crank it by hand till he was about a half inch to the other side before continuing on letting the machine take its course. I'm planning on doing that next, after I get at least one of the projects done (sigh).

Thanks for the tip on the book. I'll have to see if I can find a copy. Unfortunately, we no longer have a Joanne's close by.
    He's even been looking through my stash, for just the right color of golden yellow!! I'm really thrilled to death with his interest, I told him we should get his and her matching sewing machines!! :D

Blog Entries
    His and her machines for Christmas?????? Hint Hint Hint :lol:

Thanks! Here is the latest, and though once again not perfection (the Texas Star), I did learn in the doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm thinking about using tape for the cross angles because I've tried many types of marking tools and am still left unsatisfied. My eyes are weak and even in a sunlit room I'm having difficulties seeing my markings and thus, I believe the uneven sewing. It could also be that sewing is new to me and I've yet to develop all the skills necessary. Still it's fun and I love doing them (the stars).

Blog Entries
    I think you did a awesome job on this star! Good Job and pat your self on the back!!!!! :D 8) :D 8)

When you said you are thinking about using tape, do you mean tape the pieces before sewing them together?

No, what I mean is use the tape as the sewing line, minus the two or three threads it takes accounting for loft in the turn/press. I just can't see the line to sew aside it. As I said, I've poor vision and though I've tried a few things, from chalk, pencils, and soap stone I still cannot see accurately enough to do what needs doing.

I've considered lasik in the past and now quilting is egging me on; having been in glasses since three though, and I know it sounds silly, that seems akin to renouncing a good friend (my specks).

Ah well I'm learning, so that's that. Thanks amma for the inspiration and encouragement (and understanding), as always, it is appreciated. I plan to try the Texas Star with the strip-pieced and traditional methods eventually.

Hum, now I'm wondering is there a paper pieced version as well?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast