Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First attempt at Jackie's over the  top feathers >

First attempt at Jackie's over the top feathers

First attempt at Jackie's over the top feathers

Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Look at you go, girl!!! Those are fabulous. Don't you love how echoing can add so much? HI 5!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 PM

Jackie, I really do like the look of the echoing around them, (been watching a lot of Sharon Schamber videos) but my echoing is on the jerky side still.
I have to go buy more muslin to practice on! I have used up every scap of any solid fabric I had just practicing. I tried it on some print but didnt show up too welland I still need to see what the heck I am doing. Thinking I might get some panels too, if I can find some on sale, so I can pretend I am quilting a real quilt,
Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I think you did an AWESOME job!
I looked at her directions, looks easy, but question....
You do the first feather, then to get the "top" part done, are you retracing to go BACK to get to the top or are you starting and stopping?
Hey Terri, do you need me to draw a danged picture for you???? LMBO I can draw (loosely used term) some really ugly pictures but you can more easily follow the sewing line. I never said I could draw so, no critics here, k?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21041.jpe  
Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by mgshaw
Jackie, I really do like the look of the echoing around them, (been watching a lot of Sharon Schamber videos) but my echoing is on the jerky side still.
I have to go buy more muslin to practice on! I have used up every scap of any solid fabric I had just practicing. I tried it on some print but didnt show up too welland I still need to see what the heck I am doing. Thinking I might get some panels too, if I can find some on sale, so I can pretend I am quilting a real quilt,
I was at a Bernina class with my friend and I tried to do some feathers on her new 830. It wasn't easy at all. I did a terrible job. Can't tell you how many "cat" quilts I have from practice, all muslin. Determination is the key and I see you are very determined. Keep up the practice and you will keep improving. Look how far you've come in such a short time. You are doing fantastic. Sharon Schamber's is good. She was here but I didn't go to her class because she wasn't giving any longarm instructions. PPP
Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Power Poster

Oh hey that is so cool that you are teaching yourself to do those feathers so perfectly. Good on you to be so determined that nothing is gonna stop you from learning it.

You keep it up girl, you are doing great!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 AM

You do the first feather, then to get the "top" part done, are you retracing to go BACK to get to the top or are you starting and stopping?

The only place you backtrack is over the top. When you look at her picture, you make the first feather, then swing up & back to the leftto meet the first feather then you back track over the top of the seconthen make your 3rd feather.
(The red is where you backtrack and then make the 3rd) After that you swing back upagain just like the 2nd featherand continue on in that manner. Did I make any sense for you?
Ummmmmm.............I think I'll forgot trying this right now.........;)
Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by jacquemoe
I was at a Bernina class with my friend and I tried to do some feathers on her new 830. It wasn't easy at all. I did a terrible job. Can't tell you how many "cat" quilts I have from practice, all muslin. Determination is the key and I see you are very determined. Keep up the practice and you will keep improving. Look how far you've come in such a short time. You are doing fantastic. Sharon Schamber's is good. She was here but I didn't go to her class because she wasn't giving any longarm instructions. PPP

So how did you start quilting? Did you free motion on a domestic machine or jump in with a frame & machine? If you have any more little tricks or tips like this feather one, I would be mighty grateful!!!!!! :D
Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 AM

Wow Melissa, great job. The practice has really paid off. Did you draw the feathers first on the fabric and then follow the lines? I know what you mean about jerky. My FM is still jerky sometimes. Jackie sure was nice giving us the tutorial.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
Wow Melissa, great job. The practice has really paid off. Did you draw the feathers first on the fabric and then follow the lines? I know what you mean about jerky. My FM is still jerky sometimes. Jackie sure was nice giving us the tutorial.

No, I didnt draw any lines. I tried doing it that way on the first few attempts at some other designs and I couldnt follow the lines to save my life so I just stitch my spine and go from there. I need to start trying to keep it within certain dimensions for filling in area's. Right now its just, however big or small it ends up is purely accidental!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 PM

The only place you backtrack is over the top. When you look at her picture, you make the first feather, then swing up & back to the leftto meet the first feather then you back track over the top of the seconthen make your 3rd feather.
(The red is where you backtrack and then make the 3rd) After that you swing back upagain just like the 2nd featherand continue on in that manner. Did I make any sense for you?
this looks like you did it differently than i did my circle feathers. you mention instructions. can anyone see them? where are they hiding?

tell sharon schambers to move over. mgshaw's movin' on in!