Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First attempt at Jackie's over the  top feathers >

First attempt at Jackie's over the top feathers

First attempt at Jackie's over the top feathers

Old 06-18-2009, 07:49 PM

Wow!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOO impressed with you, girl!!! I do not think I could ever do that---I have tried a few times to FM quilt and it looks like, well-poop, for lack of a better word! :shock:

I am impatient too and since I cannot do it well the first time, I do not have the patience to sit and practice over and over again. I feel like I will never get any better, no matter what, so all that practice would just be a colossal waste of time that I could use doing something constructive. I am also a visual learner and I really need someone actually standing over me showing me how on the machine-not just looking at a picture or a video. Still......I dream of someday being able to make a quilt from start to finish all by myself. In the meantime I will just pay someone else to do the quilting for me. There is no sense in ruining a perfectly good quilt top just because I want to do it myself. :lol:
Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 PM

I guess "wonky" is in, then! I will adopt it and do all my quilting "wonky" if it turns out a nice as this!
Shelly
Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Marcia
Wow!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOO impressed with you, girl!!! I do not think I could ever do that---I have tried a few times to FM quilt and it looks like, well-poop, for lack of a better word! :shock:

I am impatient too and since I cannot do it well the first time, I do not have the patience to sit and practice over and over again. I feel like I will never get any better, no matter what, so all that practice would just be a colossal waste of time that I could use doing something constructive. I am also a visual learner and I really need someone actually standing over me showing me how on the machine-not just looking at a picture or a video. Still......I dream of someday being able to make a quilt from start to finish all by myself. In the meantime I will just pay someone else to do the quilting for me. There is no sense in ruining a perfectly good quilt top just because I want to do it myself. :lol:

I always thought it was a waste of time too, cause for soooo long I never showed any improvement!!! But it is finally starting to pay off.. Even last week, I wouldnt have dared to show anybody what I had done, it was that bad!!!! But no way I am ready to do one of my quilts yet!!!!! :D
Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by jumperfamily
I guess "wonky" is in, then! I will adopt it and do all my quilting "wonky" if it turns out a nice as this!
Shelly

If "wonky" is in, then I am good to go!!!!! Not!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 AM

Melissa what are you talking about???????????????

Those feathers look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Top quality workmanship!!! Looks like you have been doing feathers for YEARS!!!!!!!

I bought a book on feathers too, just haven't had the chance to really play with them yet. Perhaps in the Fall I'll get the chance. Right now I just want to be outside and enjoy my new garden and deck. Trevor and I are hoping to get the flowers for our flower boxes for the deck this weekend. I can't WAIT! In the evenings when the sun goes down is when I'll be heading to my sewing room to sew sew sew!!!

I taught myself free motion quilting over the winter and have become addicted!! I don't think I can do the straight sew machine quilting again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesn't look nice!! I think it looks GREAT! But now that I have learned free motion I just want to play in that area for a while!

Awesome job girl!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea
Old 06-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Melissa...if you just want to practice and build confidence...make some charity quilts like for Ronald McDonald or to give to the fire fighters or something. I promise you, they will not care if they aren't perfect. Thats usually what I do...it serves 2 purposes AND they are really appreciated!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:13 AM

Excellent job!!! Love the echoing on the feathers!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi
Melissa what are you talking about???????????????

Those feathers look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Top quality workmanship!!! Looks like you have been doing feathers for YEARS!!!!!!!

I bought a book on feathers too, just haven't had the chance to really play with them yet. Perhaps in the Fall I'll get the chance. Right now I just want to be outside and enjoy my new garden and deck. Trevor and I are hoping to get the flowers for our flower boxes for the deck this weekend. I can't WAIT! In the evenings when the sun goes down is when I'll be heading to my sewing room to sew sew sew!!!

I taught myself free motion quilting over the winter and have become addicted!! I don't think I can do the straight sew machine quilting again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesn't look nice!! I think it looks GREAT! But now that I have learned free motion I just want to play in that area for a while!

Awesome job girl!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

What book did you get? I am looking for anything to help because I am going to get this FM down pat, even if it kills me!!!!! :lol: I have been looking at different books on line but I dont really know which ones would be good.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Unbelievable for a first attempt!! You should see mine, ha, ha, ha.