Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First attempt at Paper Piecing >

First attempt at Paper Piecing

First attempt at Paper Piecing

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 PM

I love your first attempt of paper piecing. You did a great job. What is the name of your pattern, if I may ask? I would love to stitch it up myself! Thanks!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 PM

Wonderful job, it looks great.

debra
Old 05-29-2011, 04:07 AM

Great job
Old 05-29-2011, 05:17 AM

Hi I know what you mean, but this should work great for me, because I always do things backwards. LOL LOL.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:42 PM

OK, I'm trying but am a bit confused.. I read the tute and a printed PP pattern I got from my DSIL. But.... I can't tell, I know the solid lines are the stitching lines and the dotted lines are the 1/4" seam allowance around the outside.
So if I am understanding this correctly, when I sew two peices that meet at the outside edge, and the solid line stops and doesn't extend into the 1/4" seam allowance, I stop sewing there. So my pieces are NOT joined together all the way to the edge?
I am trying to wrap my brain around this thing, but it surely is giving me a battle. LOL. I am not sure at all that the tape is going to stick. :D
Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by applegramma
I love your first attempt of paper piecing. You did a great job. What is the name of your pattern, if I may ask? I would love to stitch it up myself! Thanks!
Thanks to all for your kind comments! The pattern was drawn by Candlequilter and called Candlequilter's Star. If you PM her she will email you the pattern.

This one block took me all day and a full bobbin - one up side is that I found it easier to frog the stitches with the paper on there. I think it may have been easier if I had sprayed the paper with 505 glue to keep it attached to the fabric, but I only stabbed myself with the pins a few times!

After doing this block, I am no longer afraid of paper piecing...and I'm excited to start on a paper piecing project I have had on my list for a year now!

Thank you Candlequilter for the extra help in making this block and I hope I got all the paper out!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
OK, I'm trying but am a bit confused.. I read the tute and a printed PP pattern I got from my DSIL. But.... I can't tell, I know the solid lines are the stitching lines and the dotted lines are the 1/4" seam allowance around the outside.
So if I am understanding this correctly, when I sew two peices that meet at the outside edge, and the solid line stops and doesn't extend into the 1/4" seam allowance, I stop sewing there. So my pieces are NOT joined together all the way to the edge?
I am trying to wrap my brain around this thing, but it surely is giving me a battle. LOL. I am not sure at all that the tape is going to stick. :D
When you are sewing on a solid line that goes into the seam area, you can keep on sewing into the seam area. I figure the stitching is better anchored when you are stitching over it again for the next seam. But when it intersects with another solid line within the pattern, you have to stop at exactly that intersected point, and either stitch in place, or tie the threads off, or somehow keep it from unraveling. I don't know if that helps - I'd love to show you rather than tell you, but this is the next best thing! C9P
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM

thank you C9P that really does help, yes. Tomorrow I will continue my efforts. It is funny how intense some of us seem to get working on this. I, too, get all shakey after a while. We want so much to do well and get it right.
But it's kinda like following a recipe in a language you don't quite understand. LOL
Old 05-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Your quilt actually looks like it is waving in the breeze. Great job. I love PP.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 AM

Very nice I just love PP