Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Franklin Treadle Sewing Machine >

Franklin Treadle Sewing Machine

Franklin Treadle Sewing Machine

Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement. I was excited when I found this site and all of her quilting information. Now it is even better because of all your help with my precious old treadle. It's especially precious because my parents who rescued this beautiful antique are both gone and she reminds me of them with every glance. I am blessed with a very handy DH who will accept the challenge of restoring her. The cabinet is worn but in pretty good shape. Is it possible to find a manual for all these old beauties? There are so many loose parts that we'll definitely need some directions.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 AM

She is so beautiful. The curvy shape of the machine is very nice, don't you think?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

She is beautiful. Thanks for giving her a good home.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 AM

Great find. She a keeper.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 AM

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...read.php?t=463

At this link there is discussion on how to thread this machine. There are links inside the discussion and they will take you to diagrams from the owner's manual. Most old treadles have the shuttle type bobbin which you will see in the diagrams; how to thread it, etc.

AND, here is a link to a way to the actual manual!!
http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/S...nVSManual.html
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM

Regarding the locked drawers:
One of my treadles has a simple locking system - the handle turns to the right to unlock the drawer.
Other treadles require a simple key, either a triangular or square. You might even be able to get it open with a screwdriver (carefully, of course, don't want to damage anything).
Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 AM

You may enjoy the conversation at the Vintage Machine Shop found on this QB site. Numerous folks share information and chat about their vintage machines. Some of us sew with our machines too. Here is the link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-703.htm
Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM

I think this forum has the most helpful readers in the world. Thanks for all your comments. My husband did get the drawers opened. Unfortunately, there were no more bobbins in there but I'm sure there is one in the machine itself.

Yes, she is quite a handsome lady in her simple cabinet. The flywheel (?) turns very easily by hand. Don't know what it will do when the belt is in place. The belt is there but not on the wheel. Once we get moved into our new addition and I am settled in my new sewing room, I'll do some serious investigating.

Thanks so much, vschieve, for the links. I'm especially excited about the manual and instructions.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM

You are welcome and I look forward to hearing more as you and DH progress in her revitalization and restoration. My biggest hope is to see a picture posted of you treadling on it!

And BTW, in all my searching I learned that the decal name on your Franklin is the Scarab. Check that beetle out up there on the right!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM

I Just ​ purchased a franklin threadle machine sim to yours i want to post a picture but dont know how yet