Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Franklin Treadle Sewing Machine >

Franklin Treadle Sewing Machine

Franklin Treadle Sewing Machine

Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Gorgeous!!! I would fix her up and use her!!! :D:D
I agree! I was told once by this lady that quilts that there are some quilters that only piece on treadles and hand cranks.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 PM

lovely little beauties , you both have a treasure for sure! even the cabinets are nice
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM

I love my treadle she is so perfect! They are fun and yes they can work your leg muscles but it is worth it!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 PM

Beautiful.. back in 1960 I watched my grandparents take there treadle apart.. i couldn't believe it, I loved playing with it up in the attic... they used it by the front door for a entry table of all things.. My brother still has the frame.. but the parts were all gone when we went through the house after there passing...
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 PM

Beautiful machines :D :thumbup:
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM

Dear gypsyatheart43,
About 3 years ago I began researching and trying to find out for my mother who manufactured her treadle New England Queen which I pictured above. We would walk into antique stores and would see various names on treadles other than the Singer name and she would ask if they knew and they would look in their books but to no avail. Well the Internet has now been a vital tool in allowing the question be answered. New England Queen was made by the National Sewing Machine Company out of Belvidere, Illinois not far from Chicago. My mothers machine actual had beautiful decals which over the years rubbed off, but there is a picture of her exact same machine head on webshots, with the pretty colorful flowers and New England Queen stenciled across.

As for your Franklin, the first ten years 1910-1920 it was made by Domestic, but then after that made by White, and was sold at Sears. Here is a little history for you and actually if you scroll down far enough you can see a sketch of one as I believe these pictures were taken out of old Sears catalogs and Monky Ward too.
http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

I know you love your machine and I think you would love it even more if you found someone that knows how to get it going. To put a new belt on mother's, and cleaning, oiling and adjustments brought the cost right under $100. It is so sentimental due to the fact that when I look at my childhood portraits and see the dress mother made, I know it was made on that New England Queen sitting right here in this house. And to think, I am using it now to piece a quilt.

Go for it! It just so happens the Singer store here is owned by an elderly man that has much knowledge and expertise in sewing machines from back in that era. But our Pfaff, Brother and Janome dealer where I frequent has a repairman that also works on treadles. So I think if you searched and asked around you probably would find the right repair person to take it on.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by gypsyatheart43
My folks couldn't believe someone was throwing it out either. I have a desire to get her ready to run again but we're moving into our new addition (and sewing room) this week so my schedule is pretty full. Glad you're enjoying the pictures.

One funny thing is that three of the drawers have locked up so I can't check their contents. I think there are bobbins and more attachments in one of them. They should not be hard to open with the right key.
Oh since you mentioned the drawers; we had a discussion about the old days with the man that worked on my mother's treadle and my brother asked him "now why would anyone need a key to lock up sewing machine drawers" and I was quite surprised at the answer! He said that in those days it was a perfect hiding place for your money; that no one would think to look there that intruded into your house. Now don't break those drawers trying to get in there - be gentle! If anything I thought it would have been to keep everyone in the house from using the scissors!

Vernell in Austin
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 PM

Look what I found; the cover to the owner's manual to your Franklin IF it is the model that was made by the Domestic Company.

The light running domestic

The Sears Roebuck & Co sold many of the Domestic machines under their brand name of the Minnesota, even after White's took over the firm in 1924.

The Minnesota, Franklin and the Domestic VS models are the most common ones to survive from the company.

Sears & Roebuck the World's largest store

The Franklin or Minnesota Sewing Machine by Domestic.

When the Domestic Sewing Machine Co exported to Europe they advertised their machines as the American Domestic Sewing Machine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-120605.jpe  
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 PM

Beautiful cabinet and nice machine! I have numerous treadles that I used to piece and quilt with, even FM. At first it seems like work trying to treadle, but after you get the hang of using the treadle it is very soothing and fun. Vintage machines are workhorses and are very easy to service yourself. There are numerous tutorials on the internet, and even some videos on how to wind your bobbin, if you need help there. Clean her up, give her a name if you haven't already, and start using her- she will love you for it. Happy Treadling!