Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Given to me today--great grandmother's quilts. Rough shape.

Oh Karla, what a wonderful reasure you have there. I believe Eddie on this board is involved in a historical quilt society of some sort perhaps he will have some suggestions on ho or what to do with the tattered spaces in your treasures. Just a thought! :thumbup:
    Thanks so much for sharing those beauties with all of us. What a huge blessing for them to be given to you! :-D

Such beautiful work in all of them. They are indeed treasures. I'm glad they passed them on to you, whatever you decide to do on the repair work.

What beautiful treasure you have been given!!!!

Blog Entries
    Wonderful treasures! I'm so glad they came to you..someone who knows and appreciates quilts!

How wonderful your quilts are. I just started attending a quilt class with some ladies that restore old quilts, I happened to see one that was fixed and she said not to try to put new fabric on old, it wouldn't last long. I can't remember what she did ( I didn't have a reason to listen to closely, at the time) I will try to get some information for you if you would like me to. It will be a couple of weeks before I go back to the class, though. I have no quilters in my heritage, so no old family quilts either, but my sister found some appliqued and embroidered blocks that my grandmother had made, looks to be '30's fabrics, and she gave them to me. I will have to finish some of them. Even those mean so much to me. So happy for you.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Hi Karla,
    They are wonderful quilts. I restore quilts and have a passion for old quilts and old fabrics, however, some of yours look like they just need to be left alone and cherished as is.
    I would display them so I could enjoy them! If you ever decide to try to restore them be sure to get fabrics from the period in which they were made, otherwise you would spoil their beauty. I agree that that the wear reveals a unique character to them. And yes, some dyes years ago were harsh and ruined certain fabrics, also some fabrics were stronger than others.
    So glad they were given to you :D

They are all beautiful!
    I don't know if I could do anything to fix them, I too would be scared.

How special! I am glad that your family thought enough of you to pass on things that mean a good deal to you, though they may not understand most of it.
    I can hardly wait to see what you decide

Gee karla .. You made me cry. I miss my mom and grandma too. I only have a few pieces of my mom's embroidery, but, sometimes I get them out and hug them. Silly, I know. My grandma quilted, but I didn't get any of hers. But, I take great store in the fact that (god willing) I will see them again some day.

I love all the quilts your great grandma made. She was one industrious woman to make so many. Such a treasure.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful treasure . Show us how u will fix all that turn ones, shame not to do :oops:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Karla, I just got a book on ebay: The Illustrated Guide to Vintage Quilting by Sandra Hatch that tells all about how to restore old quilts. Here's a brand new copy for $5.95. I would get this and see what you can do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Illustrated-Guid...item4f616c50e2

Also, here's a article about restoring old quilts. There are lots more out there too.
    http://www.quilthistory.com/repair.htm

Good luck!!

I think the first thing I would I do is, wrap myself up in the quilts and just remember these very special woman in your life. Repairing can wait a few more days :) I don't know how you would go about repairing them - but I think it would be worth the effort.

Gal
    What beautiful treasures, even to display one at a time would be wonderful, I saw in a quilting mag once where the old quilts were repaired with a fine layer of soft bridal 'Tulle' appliqued over the worn piecing, ( not the scratchy nylon net type) You could hardly see it at all as it comes in ivory and white and they had used the ivory. This method would be saving the quilt in it's original state, no fabrics to match, no unpicking and no added weight to the quilt as the Tulle is extra light. This is if you were wanting to use them of course to help strenghten them, if you are thinking of displaying them only, then I would leave as is.

Gal

I like Gal's idea of using tulle and I'd try to find a way to display them. I'd consider putting the oldest and most worn out in he brighter months and the ones least damaged by time and wear out in the winter months, I think that would help the best ones last longest.

Too many girl cousins in my family to get such a wealth of treasure but since you've got them, enjoy!
    Jois

I love the flying geese one - it is beautiful!

Blog Entries
    What beautiful treasures!

Wow those are truly beuatifal. What treasures. Do you have a quilt show in your area? Those are worth showing off. While they are hanging maybe some lookers could give you some advice too. Good luck. I'm glad to see they have ended up in such loving home. Sorry for your losses. :cry: Would love some updates on them later. ;)

Thanks for sharing! They are beautiful...I love the first..I have one of my grandmothers quilts and think of her everytime I look at it...Quilts are a special way of remembering the ones we love...

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diannemc
    Thanks for sharing! They are beautiful...I love the first..I have one of my grandmothers quilts and think of her everytime I look at it...Quilts are a special way of remembering the ones we love...
    I totally agree with that. Nobody in my family quilted but I have pillow shams that my Grandmother cross-stitched her initials on.
    So simple yet so lovely. I cherish them.
    My Dad is gone :( He always wore silk scarves in his suit pocket. My sis and I treasure them as well. They were store bought of course, but they were his and he loved to wear them:) And I have his rosary beads in my purse as well. Just makes me happy knowing that they are with me.

Those are wonderful treasures! It is hard to know what to do with them. I would just display them as is. I have a friend whose mother took an old worn family quilt and cut it apart & framed a section for each of her 6 kids. There's others that make them into teddy bears, but yours are in too good shape to ruin them for that.

I have an old quilt with that same purple in it. I also have a trip-around-the-world with 1 complete round of fabric just gone - same as yours.

Those are beautiful. I love them. What wonderful memories.

Karla, Maybe you or your Dad have a piece of fabric that belonged to either your Mom or Grandma that could be used to fix the problem spots....or a dress or blouse of the same vintage....
    They are just beautiful...such a wonderful treasure.

I've no idea how to restore quilts, I just wanted to say how lovely they are and what a great gift. To have something that your great-grandmother worked on, that her hands held. What was she thinking while she worked? Was it in the evening after a long day? Were the children playing nearby? Could she in her wildest dreams have imagined you holding them in your hands and in your heart and sharing them with other quilters around the world?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    I've no idea how to restore quilts, I just wanted to say how lovely they are and what a great gift. To have something that your great-grandmother worked on, that her hands held. What was she thinking while she worked? Was it in the evening after a long day? Were the children playing nearby? Could she in her wildest dreams have imagined you holding them in your hands and in your heart and sharing them with other quilters around the world?
    Robin--that was beautiful. Thanks. I told someone in a PM that if they were grandma's I would feel more attached, but I never came close to meeting her mother--and really don't know much about her. Your words make me feel more attached to them. I feel like I want to discuss them with her. Sigh... wish Gram showed me these before she died.

I am always amazed to realize how the things we do in an ordinary day of our lives has a way of going beyond our time to effect others. Most of history is made up of ordinary people, doing ordinary things that had to be done, but in the end made a BIG impact on future generations.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast