Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Given to me today--great grandmother's quilts. Rough shape.

Beautiful and well loved quilts. Oh if I only had the one and only quilt I received from my grandmother I would be so happy. The fabrics in it started falling apart as it was used all the time. I do not remember what happened to it as I wasn't into quilts like I am not.

I do have a quilt from my great-grandmother that my sisters and I did not know existed until we went through my mother's things after she passed end of 1999. We found it at the bottom of a trunk with a note on it who it was made by and who she was. It has to date back to the late 1980's and before 1905. It is in excellent shape except for about 2" of the binding is worn.

Beautiful old treasures...I love the designs and he color choices. You have to cherish these and pass them along to your daughters. I being a new quilter could not tell you how to fix the ones that have worn away, but perhaps some of the seasoned quilters could help. I just love them and I too would be teary eyed. There are so many memories within the work done. Thanks so much for sharing. Gwena

Blog Entries
    I am about to use the tulle material on a quilt DH's mom made for our daughter nearly 50 years ago. some of the material near the center are wearing through. Your main concern is to stop further deteriation. Back when it was made they used the type of cotton filling that tends to seperate and go to pieces. by using the tulle, you can cover the parts that are going so the filling won't come out, and still be able to hang them over a quilt rack or folded up. What ever you do, don't try to use new cloth to patch. Jesus said, no one puts a new patch on old cloth because it will make the tear worse. Who am I to question that?

Those quilts are just wonderful. Do you by any chance have a quilt appraiser near by? If you do, that may be the thing to do with them before you even try to repair them. They may be worth more by not doing anything but loving them. Just fold the worn spots out of sight and lay them on the back of a chair or something. Show them off, but keep them out of the direct sunlight.
    They are beautiful, and should be seen. Do they have labels on them? If not, you could find out all the information and put one on each of them. Then later generations will know who made them and when.
    Enjoy the history with them.

How wonderful that you were chosen to be the caretaker of these treasures. What you do to them, depends on what you want to do with them. Obviously some parts are gone. Is it worth your time to attempt to restore one of these old girls ? If so, I am sure there is a lot of information available to help you.

Ditter

Sorry for your loss. The quilts are precious memories, so just treasure them.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    Hugs to help you with your sadness. I understand your uncertainty with what to do (or not do) with such cherished treasures. I personally would leave them "as is", or totally re-work the blocks into new sashing, combining old with new and enabling them to continue to be handed down and cherished.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What a wonderful gift, you have just been handed a treasure that no amount of money could buy. I cant tell you how to fix them, but I can say you are a very lucky lady to be able to hold your great grandmothers work in your hands. enjoy the memories. God bless. Penny

What beautiful old treasures!

they are beautiful! and what treasured heirlooms! Your mom and grandmom know how much they are loved! Contact the International Quilt Museum, I believe they are in Illinois or at least in the Midwest somewhere...they will know what to do to preserve and repair these historic quilts! I'm sure if you'll google them, they'll come up and you can be on your way to restoration!
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4