Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Given to me today--great grandmother's quilts.  Rough shape. >

Given to me today--great grandmother's quilts. Rough shape.

Given to me today--great grandmother's quilts. Rough shape.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

You can also get a glass display case at Hobby Lobby or similar place, and fold a quilt so that a pattern shows, then place them/it in the case for display in your favorite room. That way they are protected from further damage, not damaged by improper restoration (and some of them are so used it may be impossible to restore), AND visible to see and ooh and ahh over.

And along the same lines, one of the owners of my LQS just reproduced a quilt his (yep, it's a man) gr-grandmother had made. It was beautiful! You could do that too. That way you "tie yourselves together" with the quilt she made and the one you made.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:51 PM

OMG, they're gorgeous! Beautiful memories too!! You're so lucky!! ;) ;) I'm like you -- the last one is my favorite too! ;)
Old 05-01-2010, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
And along the same lines, one of the owners of my LQS just reproduced a quilt his (yep, it's a man) gr-grandmother had made. It was beautiful! You could do that too. That way you "tie yourselves together" with the quilt she made and the one you made.
I like that idea!!

:-D
Old 05-01-2010, 05:55 AM

If you have a quilt museum nearby or a university you should be able to find someone that's an expert in fabric conservation. Ask for help/suggestions to preserve them for future generations. Personally I'd attach a label to the back stating who they were made by, when and from whom you acquired them and when & who made the restorations. I'd also photograph them before and after and put the pix in a scrapbook.
Just think of all the love it took to wear those holes!! What treasures you have in each and everyone of those quilts.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:02 AM

personally i wouldnt try to restore. they are precious like they are. i would store in acid free boxes with acid free paper in between layers refold once in a while. love the yo yo. im doing yo yo myself wip.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Karla...those are just gorgeous and I think the wear makes them more special. It only shows the love. I wish that someone in my family had quilted as I would love to be able to have something like this to connect us. My MIL did, but my SIL gets those. My plan is to reproduce my MIL's favorite. It is a huge orange Lonestar. I'm just waiting to build my talent to somewhere close to hers so I can make it. I'm going to take a pic of her quilt to copy.

Like yours, my Mom and both grandmothers (along with my dear MIL) are all gone now...but you can bet I'll be talking quilts with them when I see them again!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:58 AM

You have REAL treasures! My Paternal Grandmother made quilts by candles and lamp light in the Civil War Years. One quilt that was left was given to my Dad. It was the Drunkard's Path Pattern.
Guess who got it? A niece who was an alcoholic and drug addict. I was soooooooooo mad when I heard of the home it went to. You know if was probably sold for nothing to satify her drug and alcohol habit. O well!!!!!!!!!
Mariah
Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 AM

What a LUCKY person you are, to have received these lovely quilts from both your Grand Mother & Mother!! I can just feel your JOY!! :D Thank you so much, for sharing with all of us!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 05-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Banned

Karla, I just did a quick google search and found these display cases. You could put your folded quilt(s) in one of these and set it on a table, mantle, etc. Or you could get the taller one and put all of them folded and stacked in the case for display.

http://www.finehomedisplays.com/doll_cases.asp

Another idea for the most damaged one, is to cut out the largest undamaged portion you can that shows the whole pattern, and have it framed.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 AM

I know about the missing someone so very much. I lost my mother three days before her mother died. Grandma and I were very close. I spent most summers with her. I found one of her quilts ( adouble wedding ring) between the mattress and springs of a roll-a-way bed. Terrible shape. I could have cried.