Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The H Quilt >

The H Quilt

The H Quilt

Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
I guess you could use any amount of patches that would make an H. Even though I did like the nine patch, I kinda liked the 11 patch better as the long H's appealed to me lol. Now that I have seen the orginal quilt by Daffy, I can see she used different fabric in each H that blended real nice. That took some work. I just have these scraps that I am using and what I try to do is contrast, light next to dark, while using the same fabric. I might do like Daffy did with some of the H's if I happen to spy a couple fabric that would work.

It is 12.24 pm here now and I am going to start on it again, I am listening to, A Game of Thrones, on my kindle while I sew. Hopefully I can get a bunch of area blocks done today. I will post the pics later.
At the time I made Hendrix Charm, a charm quilt was defined as one in which each fabric was used only once. It contains 411 fabrics, including those in the partial Hs at the edges. Some of the patches were from my Keepsake Quilting swatches.

I have begun a T quillow for our 18-year-old granddaughter. The only way I can figure out to make the Ts tessellate/interlock is to put half of them upside down. Come to think of it, some of those Hs could be upside down too.

Game of Thrones--wow, what a series. We have just begun Season 2 with our Netflix subscription. I'm going to have to read the books.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:17 PM

Have fun....looks way to complicated and intensive for me.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:19 PM

I like that just fine! Looks like it could be strip pieced with a bit of planning.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:59 PM

I like this - I have been making 1" hexies for a grandmother's flower garden and cutting the squares at 2.5, but I overdid the number of squares. Now I know what to do with them other than a 16 patch or 9 patch. Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:36 PM

Okay I love the look and see how you have placed them on design wall....how will you sew them? In rows? In blocks? Right off the design wall? This may be obvious to most but I'm just wondering, as in rows it would be easy to misplace them wouldn't it?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
At the time I made Hendrix Charm, a charm quilt was defined as one in which each fabric was used only once. It contains 411 fabrics, including those in the partial Hs at the edges. Some of the patches were from my Keepsake Quilting swatches.

I have begun a T quillow for our 18-year-old granddaughter. The only way I can figure out to make the Ts tessellate/interlock is to put half of them upside down. Come to think of it, some of those Hs could be upside down too.

Game of Thrones--wow, what a series. We have just begun Season 2 with our Netflix subscription. I'm going to have to read the books.
Oh I bet those T's will be another great quilt. I know you can do those any which way but I like the H's up and down, pic will follow.

I am on book 4 now and have seen season 3 episodes 7 and 8 so far....
Old 06-01-2013, 10:08 PM

I have sewed together a 49x49 piece so far. I will make it much better. I sewed all afternoon and also into the night but not steady, here and there, taking breaks to eat lol.

I found that if I did it the same way I did the cross quilt, it worked pretty good for me. I put as many patches on my board as it would hold, then took down eight patches across and six down and I call that a block, then I sewed all the blocks together down in rows and then I joined the rows together.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00036.jpg   dsc00035.jpg   dsc00037.jpg   dsc00038.jpg   dsc00039.jpg  

Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 AM

That's looking so good, Rosy!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Okay I love the look and see how you have placed them on design wall....how will you sew them? In rows? In blocks? Right off the design wall? This may be obvious to most but I'm just wondering, as in rows it would be easy to misplace them wouldn't it?
You can misplace them here and there but it's always a good idea to study your sewing board before sewing the patches together and after. It's easy to see a misplaced patch and it can be fixed right away. I have misplaced two in all this sewing, so that's not bad and I caught it before sewing. You can also check my cross quilt as I have done that the same way and it worked for me.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t220202-5.html

Last edited by Rosyhf; 06-02-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
That's looking so good, Rosy!
Thanks Daffy, I just love it. I am working on it now to make it bigger. It is addictive lol. I even considered ripping off two sides of my cross quilt border, to make that bigger too.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t220202-5.html