Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The H Quilt >

The H Quilt

The H Quilt

Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

I love watching this grow and then shrink (as you stitch the squares together) and grow again. Daffy Daphne's quilt is wonderful. Putting the H's on the diagonal adds so must interest to the quilt and softens the regimented look of the H's. Can't wait to see this done.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 PM

Wow - what an ingenious idea. Love it.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 PM

Yes - -very addictive. My accuquilt die for the 2.5 inch square would work great for use of scraps. Just layer each scrap and cut. Plus they are all the same size. I am such a bad cutter.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
You can misplace them here and there but it's always a good idea to study your sewing board before sewing the patches together and after. It's easy to see a misplaced patch and it can be fixed right away. I have misplaced two in all this sewing, so that's not bad and I caught it before sewing. You can also check my cross quilt as I have done that the same way and it worked for me.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t220202-5.html

Oh thank-you Rosy for taking the time to show such an excellent example of how you keep yourself on track with the design. I could see where in haste a misplaced block would ruin the whole effect of the design, and I for the life of me could not image in my mind how to effectively put this together. Your pictures, link to the cross quilt and explanation was what was needed for me! You certainly have challenged your sense of organization, with both of these quilts! :0) Hat's off to you!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 AM

What a interesting pattern. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:52 AM

You can't be afraid to make mistakes on a quilt like this, especially because of the size. When you have to match the sides or the bottom to extend it, because you don't have a larger design board. I think mine is sufficient for most of what I do but not for a charm quilt, if I want to make it bigger.

Because I work in rows of six across and down, (I call that a block) I can fix a mistake real quick in that small area. I sewed a few patches wrong within a block I was working on last night and it was not big deal to rip and fix.

Now, I am looking at all the extra 2.5 squares that will be left over, and guess what? I will make a spool quilt out of those, so another charm will be coming up, that is after I make 100 pickled clamshells from my other thread, lol.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Oo0hhh. gonna have to add it to my bucket list!!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM

I am working on the left side extension now.....
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

It is fabulous, Rosey!
peace
Old 06-09-2013, 01:13 PM

I'm done, done, done...lordy, lordy. 1,764 squares, the quilt measures 84.5x84.5. I extended both sides and then yesterday, I extended the length again lol. I am now pleased with the size.

The most work came from having to add the extensions as it was hard to match the sewed part to the un-sewed patches.

This was really a lot of sewing but I am going to do the same to my Cross Quilt, it also needs to be larger.

This quilt was made out of a hodgepodge of fabrics and I didn't care what was what as long as the contrast was good and you could see the H's easily.

I started making this quilt on May 30th, and now it's June 9th. Wow! that wasn't too bad a time was it?

I might be able to start the quilting tomorrow and then I will post another pic with the binding all done as well. It will look much better after the quilting.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00053.jpg   dsc00054.jpg  

Last edited by Rosyhf; 06-09-2013 at 01:20 PM.