Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt? >

Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt?

Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 PM

I plan on leaving all my stash and unfinished WIPs to my friends in my quilt group. If none of my DDILs or DGDs ends up quilting or sewing, then all my sewing stuff will go to the group. They don't know this yet......imagine their surprise!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM

I've told my DD that sewing supplies she doesn't want should go to memebers of my quilt group. My organ music should go to the AOGA; my school music collection to IOSA.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM

When I was visiting my mom a couple months ago one of there neighbor ladies had passed away and she had made quilts for her and her husband to be wrapped in when they passed away .It was the first time I had ever heard of any one doing that but I liked the idea of being wrapped in a special quilt.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:22 PM

I told my brothers that if I went before them, I want all of them to bring the quilts I made them to my funeral.....but not to bury me with them, but to remember all of the love for them that went into each quilt. Honestly I would not mind being buried in the one I made myself or the very first one I made for DH and I.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM

Our quilt group at church made a quilt for my dearest MIL. We draped it over her in the casket because she had enjoyed it so much. She was buried in it and it's always brought me comfort that she was wrapped in the loving hands that made the quilt.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 PM

I really like the quilted casket liner.
My mom, sister and I are all quilters. When my stepdad died a few years ago at home, the funeral home came to take his body and they covered him with a custom quilt fitted with an elasticized edge to fit over the stretcher. I thought it was lovely and so meaningful to us- maybe not to him, but I liked it. I am a hospice nurse and have never seen any other funeral home that had a quilt cover like that.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by PunkiePie
My FIL just passed and while making arrangements I saw this ....I really like it.
It's about time.!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
That's interesting. I was thinking of that when there was a discussion of Coffin Quilts. I thought it meant a long, slim quilt for a coffin and I wondered if anyone was doing that.

Might be morbid but some people might really appreciate it. Could always make up a few and take them to funeral homes.
I've seen caskets with a quilt on top instead of a spray of flowers. Once for a lady who quilted for all her family as well as church.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Power Poster

Lovely idea....and it's been very interesting reading all the posts.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
I made her a quilt from 30's reproduction fabric in flannels with a warm cotton batting. Well, she just loved it. Turns out she just couldn't get warm in that place, and so she kept it wrapped around her legs. She was buried with it. It was an odd feeling, but I find myself thinking of her with that little quilt. I ran across some of its scraps today...
Wonderfully touching.