Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt? >

Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt?

Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by PunkiePie
My FIL just passed and while making arrangements I saw this ....I really like it.
It's about time.!
He had been sick along time and it was a blessing.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 AM

I have seen a quilt, made by the deceased draped over the casket. But I,m sure the family kept it after the funeral. I thought it was a nice tribute to the quilter.

Lorie
Old 01-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Although his casket was not lined with a quilt, when my dear father got ill I made him a lap quilt with a fish material. It wasn't the prettiest quilt, but he was an avid fisherman and it meant the world to him. My mom was in shock when he died suddenly, but when we went to the funeral home she asked me if she could put the quilt in the casket with him. OF course, I agreed. THe funeral director suggested we take it out and keep it but both Mom and I agreed that we wanted Dad to have it forever and he does. Thanks for listeneing,
Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 AM

I think that's wonderful and very loving. It's tough working at a funeral home, people deal with things so very differently, there is no "right" way to deal with grief. It is so very personal and they are hardly ever prepared to face the details that are "not included" in the contracts involved. It's quite shocking, fortunately since I had worked at the funeral home I dealt with, I was very comfortable. Bless you and your family.
member\
Originally Posted by csmomma2
Although his casket was not lined with a quilt, when my dear father got ill I made him a lap quilt with a fish material. It wasn't the prettiest quilt, but he was an avid fisherman and it meant the world to him. My mom was in shock when he died suddenly, but when we went to the funeral home she asked me if she could put the quilt in the casket with him. OF course, I agreed. THe funeral director suggested we take it out and keep it but both Mom and I agreed that we wanted Dad to have it forever and he does. Thanks for listeneing,
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 AM

What a great idea
Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 AM

My daughter says that she's throwing all my fabric in my casket with me, and what doesn't fit is getting thrown in the vault. She takes one look at my overflowing shelves, tubs full of fabric stored everywhere upstairs and down, and the thought of dealing with it is too much for her.

Seriously, she has instructions to let my quilting friends have their first choice and the rest gets donated to charity quilts.

I would like my favorite quilts to line my casket, now that you've given me the idea.....
Old 01-17-2011, 07:42 AM

I made a white baby quilt out of polished cotton and the first thing my husband said was it looked like it belonged in a casket! So guess who is going to get it?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162298.jpe  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by PunkiePie
My FIL just passed and while making arrangements I saw this ....I really like it.
I worked for 30 years in floral industry. This design has been around for a lot of years. I have also seen where they take a persons quilts & hang them around the state room Or draped the casket with a favorite quilt.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:58 AM

A few years ago I mentioned this to my quilt guild after seeing a site (don't remember the name) of quilts made for caskets. Some members thought this to be a morbid idea. I think it is great!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 AM

I posted the following a few weeks ago....

I made a memory quilt for a friend's mother four years ago. He had a HUGE party for her 90th birthday. I thought, what can I get her. I decided to make a memory quilt. In the center I had her name and then A WILD IRISH...I embroidered a long-stemmed rose. In each embroidered something about her, her likes, or accomplishments. SHE LOVED IT. He said everytime he took her out, she had to take the quilt along.

She died the day after Christmas. We attended her viewing and the funeral. The quilt was displayed across the bottom portion of the coffin,across her legs. It was folded to show the center square. After the wake, we went to say goodbye to him. He said...."A piece of you went with her. She loved that quilt so much I had her covered with it".