Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hotpads by Rhonda >

Hotpads by Rhonda

Hotpads by Rhonda

Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful hot pads. I always love your work.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 AM

They're exquisite Rhonda - betcha get repeat orders!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Katrine
They're exquisite Rhonda - betcha get repeat orders!
It is a situation where I will keep her stocked up. so it is guaranteed orders every month as long as they sell. I was selling this way to Yoders in Kalona but her DH died and with the economy she closed the store. But Juanita at Willowcreek has been wanting my stuff for several years now but I had promised Joette as long as she was buying from me I wouldn't sell to anyone else in her area. So this opportunity was sitting waiting for me. Now I am able to sell to Juanita. She will buy outright not a commission deal. So I will stock her up by the end of April and then see how much sells. As it sells I will keep it stocked up every few weeks. I have done this for 12 yrs with Joette. My only concern is the regulars that bought my stuff may not realize they can get them across the street from Yoders. Yoders was an antique store with lots and lots of amish flavored gifts heavy on the quilt look. But Juanita's store is more modern country look with a quilt shop in the back half. For one people who are quilter's may look at it and love it but go home and try their own version without buying or it may not appeal to the ones who like the country signs and gimmicky country decor. We shall see!!! No telling also if the economy is up enough for sales either. Our area was hit really hard with a tragically wide spread flood summer before last and last summer was really bad for business. Hundreds of people lost their homes and almost a third of the businesses in the near by town of Coralville were destroyed and a lot of them never reopened. It was the kind of flood where the water was up to the top of the door on the Taco Bell. People were out in boats to get in to see the damage. You had to drive an hour more than normal to get around all the damage to even get in to Iowa City. It was really really bad and everyone is still recovering.
So I hope things are better this year and no more major floods!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Do you get local newspapers you could put a "...now available at new outlet..." type of thing. Or do a few small posters (with Juanita's ok of course) saying sort of the same? I am sure she will put something in her front display anyway, because it is a new additon for her too. Hope it goes well there! The floods were a disaster, and everywhere the recession has affected what and how people buy.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Katrine
Do you get local newspapers you could put a "...now available at new outlet..." type of thing. Or do a few small posters (with Juanita's ok of course) saying sort of the same? I am sure she will put something in her front display anyway, because it is a new additon for her too. Hope it goes well there! The floods were a disaster, and everywhere the recession has affected what and how people buy.
The floods cut off Kalona from the rest of the world except for one road in. There are at least 4 main roads in. And the one road in was covered for awhile but not for long. It was bad.

Kalona is a major tourist attraction and the town's business is tourism so I know they will do ok. I just know it takes time to get something new started. The town's tourism is based on Quilts and the Amish so quilts are the major draw. They have quilts painted ont all the store windows quilts displayed in the banks and the restaurants and there are signs hung on the light posts that are quilt pictures. It is a big deal there. There is a quilt festival the end of April so we are aiming for that to be the big event for my stuff. But she is doing an open house the 19th and 20th so I am working on my first order for her for that.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:00 AM

rhonda, those are so cute :!: i do believe if i had those i couldn't put a pot on them they would hang on my kitchen wall. very pretty and oh such tiny pieces :shock: :-D :thumbup:
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Thank you kindly everyone!! I love them too or I couldn't make them. I have had some I thought was a good idea and I made them only to not like the end result but they all sold so someone else liked them!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 PM

Rhonda, you grew up Quaker (not sure if you still affiliate to that faith). Are there other Quakers in your area, & if so would your items sell if they were advertised as being made by a Quaker Quilter? Just thinking if that would help or hinder. Wishing you'll lots of luck in this new venture together. Plus, you'll get paid upfront, not have to wait for the stuff to sell. Keep up the beautiful work.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:51 PM

I love them.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

On the first one the corner stars remind me of shooting stars. Love them all.