Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
How I build up my stash!! >

How I build up my stash!!

How I build up my stash!!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:18 PM

OMGoodness!! :shock: Great fabrics!! :thumbup:
Old 09-10-2010, 11:32 PM

We only have 2 quilting shops in our area, and it does get expensive buying fabrics from there. I have started looking the charity shops for suitable fabric. I got a lovely blouse, white with blue flowers on it, but I thought it would nicer on a quilt. Daren't tell the charity shop though, they would probably chuck me out.
Love the colours you have collected.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:42 AM

Hi Izzy I agree with clem55, you are certainly an inspiration and the queen of fabric hunting and the charity shops, GOOD ON YOU GIRL YOU GO FOR IT and I am going to be right behind you. AmaZING FABRICS.
jOAN
Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 AM

Izy, surprised that you have not got any interest in quilting in the Manchester area, however you are doing an amazing job with the stash building.

Elle
Old 09-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by SharonD
We only have 2 quilting shops in our area, and it does get expensive buying fabrics from there. I have started looking the charity shops for suitable fabric. I got a lovely blouse, white with blue flowers on it, but I thought it would nicer on a quilt. Daren't tell the charity shop though, they would probably chuck me out.
Love the colours you have collected.
I was born in Scotland Sharon, just east of Edinburgh, Prestonpans to be precise!!

I thought you would have had more shops, it is so frustrating and expensive as you say!

There is one shop in Manchester city centre but it is not a dedicated quilting shop, there range is very limited too.

Happy hunting everyone!

:-D
Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Izy, surprised that you have not got any interest in quilting in the Manchester area, however you are doing an amazing job with the stash building.

Elle
Morning Elle,

We came back from London a day early as there was a 'Stitching' Exhibition on at one of the big exhibition halls, so got off the train and went straight there after sending John home in a taxi with our luggage...only to find not ONE stall selling fabric, I went and complained to the organisers who had advertised on their website that there were patchwork stalls ...there reply was that there was also a big show over in Harrogate, Yorkshire so all the dealers had got to that one...what a waste of time and £7.50 admission!

It was mainly cross stitch and card making stalls, hundreds of them...grrrhhhh!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by cag1949
Originally Posted by Izy
Originally Posted by gaigai
What a great idea Izy! Not only are those beautiful fabrics, but what a great price, compared to the price of regular fabric. Hmmm, I can see it now...a regular run on the thrift stores! LOL
Do you know Gaigai, that's EXACTLY how I feel, I get a buzz out of finding items that are 100% cotton for a fraction of the cost of actual quilting fabrics and it is unique, the little girls dresses probably only yield a fat quarter of fabric but between 49p and 99p each, how can you not love 'em!! I do try and find the LARGEST garments I can first tho tee hee!!

AND I am doing my bit for the environment, mind you, when I tell the shop assistants not to worry about folding them up neatly as I will be cutting them up soon, they nearly have a fit, saying what a waste....as patchwork just isn't popular here, they don't 'get' it!!

:lol:
Did not realize that there are few quilter's over there, but you did very well at the charity shops. When my friend came over here to visit, she loved our thrift stores and especially loved our garage sales!
I bet your friend did....I would have to come over with empty suitcases!! LOL!!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:27 AM

Afternoon Izy, What a darned shame, you could of bought lots of fabric at the thrift shops for 7.50 as well.

Elle
Old 09-11-2010, 05:51 AM

Great find!!! They are all so beautiful!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 AM

I admire your stash and how you accumulated them!! You GO GIRL!! I firmly believe in keeping as much out of a landfill as possible. I have several quilts made by my DGM(she passed in 1972) that she used fabric from our clothes. I love petting it and looking at it just for the "WARM & WONDERFUL" memories of my childhood. One in particular is made out of all my siblings flannel pj's,lol!!!