Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help Please

I have made these blocks and not really sure how to put it together. The 2nd placement shows how it is suppose to go but I do not like it. Not really sure about the other one either. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Verna2197
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I like the second one better than the first, but I'm a newbie myself and still learning...

Blog Entries
    i like the first one..

only because the bottom, block on the right,(second picture,) looks out of place to me.

beautiful blocks and colors though!

I vote for the 2nd picture, but the block immediately above the center block seems to be missing the dark colors like the one below the center block.

Both look a little unbalanced to me. How would it look if you put the four white blocks on each corner then arranged the predominately black or gray blocks in the center?

Blog Entries
    Overall I like the second one better. But I think the black needs to be more evenly distributed. Or what about arranging the blocks so the black is on the outside and sort of frames the other blocks. Just keep playing with the blocks till you find the layout you like. And I find taking a picture is a good way to not only preview the layout but to use for reference when you start to sew it together.

You have 5 of the white 'star' blocks - try arranging it so one is in the center surrounded by the darker blocks, then the lighter cross blocks and a 'star' in each corner.

Also, in the top photo, bottom center block. The lower right corner needs to be turned. If you wanted it like that - wonderful :) if not, it would be easy to fix it before you put the blocks together.

Lovely colors and nice blocks. I'm sure how ever you decide to put them together it will be lovely.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    You appear to be one who likes symetry, order, and planning rather than spontaneity, randomness, and (dare I say?) chaos. They are both valid settings and each has it's appeal. I'd say go for what makes *you* "comfortable".

Jan in VA

I'm confused too. did you make 15 blocks, 5 of each and then use 13= 5+4+4 of those style blocks?

I looks like you have on point on layout with edge filler partial blocks?

If the blocks are identified as A, B and C as they appear in the first picture, then the on point layout is in the second picture is:

C A C
    A A
    B C B
    B B
    C A B

If C were my favorite block I might do:

C B C
    A A
    B C B
    A A
    C B C

These are great blocks...Happy Easter too you too!

[Small note...bottom rt. segment of lowest middle column block in upper picture is sewn on turned.]

Love the quilt! I like the second arrangement best but I agree with the gal who said the bottom right block seems out of place. I would change that block to one of the white stars. Just MHO

Power Poster
    I like the fisrt one, but I would rearange the blocks so the stars and x's would alternate and leave the black blocks where they are at. Or put each black block in each corner then the odd one goes in the center. Then play with the other blocks by putting them around the cent black one.
    In other words play witht the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i like the first one..

only because the bottom, block on the right,(second picture,) looks out of place to me.

beautiful blocks and colors though!
    i agree
    dar

The bottom right on the second one looks like it should be like the bottom left. Then the 4 corners and the middle would be the same. that would be most pleasant to me.

Do you have enough material to make one more of either non-black block? I have an idea to give it more symetry.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I like the second one with one suggestion. I would change the bottom right side to make it look like all the other corners.

Hi Verna,

In the first picture the bottom middle darker block has the right bottom corner with pieces sewn incorrectly. With this block error all of your other settings could possibly not look quite right.

I also like the idea of adding additional blocks to balance the design as someone else mentioned.

Pam M

cjr
    Beautiful blocks. I vote for #1. Very. Dramatic. Try switching the center row with row on right. You would have a color gradation. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Grambi
    Both look a little unbalanced to me. How would it look if you put the four white blocks on each corner then arranged the predominately black or gray blocks in the center?
    That was my thought!
    Beautiful blocks!! Nice Job!!!!

Blog Entries
    I think the second one !! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    You have 5 of the white 'star' blocks - try arranging it so one is in the center surrounded by the darker blocks, then the lighter cross blocks and a 'star' in each corner.

Also, in the top photo, bottom center block. The lower right corner needs to be turned. If you wanted it like that - wonderful :) if not, it would be easy to fix it before you put the blocks together.

Lovely colors and nice blocks. I'm sure how ever you decide to put them together it will be lovely.
    yes, totally agree with using 5 white stars :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Hi Verna,

In the first picture the bottom middle darker block has the right bottom corner with pieces sewn incorrectly. With this block error all of your other settings could possibly not look quite right.

I also like the idea of adding additional blocks to balance the design as someone else mentioned.

Pam M
    Wow you're good :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Had to go back and REALLY look before I seen it.

The bottom right square looks like it should be white. Like the other three corners.

I know the one block is sewn wrong, noticed that when I was taking the pic and meant to say something about it. I am going to play with it again and see what else comes up.

Thanks for everyone's imput
    Verna2197

I LIke the second layout the best and I like the scattering of the black

Have you tried them in diagonal rows. They sure are pretty

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast