Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Man did I hit it big , But also sad about it. >

Man did I hit it big , But also sad about it.

Man did I hit it big , But also sad about it.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:51 AM

If they were a 'without strings' gift, you could sell some of the tops on Ebay or in the selling section here, then you'd have money to finish your favorites.
You could also back with flannel and make toppers and throws out of them.

If you absolutely love them put up a pretty curtain rod and hang them folded across it

A gift isn't an obligation. I expect they feel great having given them a good home.

All my quilts are double sided, that would cut by half or more, the only expense would be the batting
Old 09-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

If the workmanship is as nice as they appear - you really scored!

They sure look nice - the lady had a good sense of color.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:02 AM

WOW, you did hit it big! it is really sad that the family didn't want them -- they are beautiful and there is a lot of work there!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:22 PM

Oh, my!!! What I'd give to have some of my grandmother's hand-stitched quilts or quilt tops!! What treasures! I'd personally want to hand quilt them, but I know whatever you choose will be terrific. Fabulous quilts!!!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

How nice is that? So glad they didn't end up at good will.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:15 PM

wow. I might be willing to buy one from you. My only suggestion is that if you donate or sell them, include any information you can about who made the ops and when. Put that info on the label on the back or maybe make a lebel for each and hope the recipients that finish them put it on

I am so glad my sister became a quilter, and got me into it. It would break my heart if my kids dumped my quilts off at goodwill or something. I would rather see them donate them, or sell them to someone who wants them.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:51 AM

I agree that is so sad...to think how hard these two women must have worked on these probably with the intention of leaving them to their children and grandchildren. I ran across this same lack of concern at a garage sale. The man's grandmother had died and they just wanted to get rid of everything. I bought a plastic storage unit with all kind of goodies in it and lots of patches. I have made 3 lap quilts and still have some patches..they sold it to me for $20. I felt obligated to do something with this women's work and have enjoyed putting all the pieces together. So far my children and grandchildren appreciate my work so I hope when I have passed that they will just split it up and enjoy.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

Those tops are just beautiful. It would be honoring those two women if these quilts were finished and treasured by some lucky person. Being as these quilts would be treasured by most of the members of this board, I would check with a moderator on the board and see if you could sell them on the Items For Sale portion of this board. That would help with your g/daughters school fees as well as allow you to buy the necessary things you need to complete the ones you want to complete. Good luck with this venture.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:47 AM
KLO

I too was going to suggest giving what you don't want to a local guild who does charity work. I also love the idea of you choosing the ones you really like and making two sided quilts out of them. That way you get to enjoy some of them and honor the makers. Look for batting on sale and you won't have to put out too much money. It is so sad to see this happen but I think it happens a lot anymore. Good luck with whatever you decide. It is just so wonderful that they were offered to you and you were able to say "Yes, please!!!"

My favorites: #4 the pinwheel and #7 (don't know what to call that). Oh just happen to think, is there a museum near you that might be interested in them especially if they were made in your state/area? That would be a great way to preserve the tops for the future.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 AM

Wow, what an amazing gift. How very sad that no one wants them. Just think of the hours she spent sewing her heart out. I'm so glad she's not here to see them be cast aside.