Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Mom, Can you?" & Settling In

"Mom, Can you?" & Settling In

We bought a house in July, finally got to move in in February and I finally accomplished two things since being there. Making my first quilt and unpacking my fabric.

The quilt - it was made at the request of Son#2. He met a special young lady while in AIT and requested that I make her a quilt for her AIT graduation. First he wanted to know if I could make it with camo of some sort...check, than because she likes to hunt, can you add her top 3 favorite things to hunt...check check, and last "can you put this 'phrase' on it somewhere?" The phrase is of a tattoo she got in memory of her best friend/cousin who passed away while she was in basic. It really hit her hard when she found out she couldn't be there to say goodbye so he wanted to honor that in her quilt as well. She has since received her quilt and I was told she was smiling ear to ear from the time she opened it until they parted that evening. She loves it and couldn't believe we would go through all that trouble 'for her'. This is just one of the reasons I love doing this.

Second is my arrangement of how I am storing and displaying my fabric until my sewing she-shed is built. I love how fat-quarters and yardages fold & fit nicely into these 'milk' crates. Along with how the crates fit nicely under my sewing table. I put all the pretty's up front and the browns and other overflows in the back. I can't stack them two-high back there because they wont fit under the edge of table but I did find unused space in the closet for the rest. Yay! Ignore the exercise ball though, its just there for looks and taking up space where crates will fit. LOL!

It feels good to have this part of my sewing passion unpacked. Now to find a spot for my fat quarters and novelty prints.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Wonderful job on the quilt. Sounds like this young lady is very special to your son.

Great job storing fabrics. Although, when I looked at the fabric stored under your long-arm and in the closet, I had to laugh ... looks as though you have more fabric than clothing. Just makes you a dedicated quilter. Haha.

That is a beautifully done quilt. I love everything about it. I also love the way you have your fabrics organized and stored. I am so jealous!. I have my fabrics in a shed in the back yard and I can't hardly wait (until my daughter and 3 granddaughters move out) to get my fabrics back in my sewing room and organized like you have.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-08-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    that is lovely. i can see your clothes are losing out to fabrics. maybe you should make some dresses! I would rather have more room for fabric too!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

What a lovely & modern take on a camo-hunting quilt! I don't know what I was expecting from your description except maybe hunting (deer/fish/ducks) or cabinesque (bears/moose/trees) printed panels bordered by camo. Your quilt has quite the WOW! factor. : )

It is also always nice to know a gift was well received.
    'Tacky' does not necessarily refer to the quality of adhesiveness.

What a creative quilt! She’ll love it. About the organizing - I hope you have better luck than me on keeping it all so nice.
    Lori

Power Poster
    ​Great quilt and room!

That's a stunning quilt - very creative! And I'm so glad she loved it. I see so many stories online from quilters who worked sooooo hard on a quilt and put their heart and soul into making a meaningful gift.... all for the person to mumble a "thanks" and use it to put oily car parts on in the garage.

Love that quilt! What a special gift. The fabric storage looks so neat and organized.

Such a lovely and unique quilt. But I think you need more fabric! LOL

Very pretty quilt and sewing room.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Beautiful quilt and I love the way you have everything so organized! I've been trying for years to get some control over the stacks of fabric piled on the floor, shelved, in boxes and totes!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Super BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Wonderful quilt. That young woman will cherish it all her life. Your stash is stunning. I look forward to seeing the She Shed when it's ready.

The quilt is beautiful. And your stash is great! But, is it the angle of the photo or what the heck machine/table is that? It looks huge and very substantial!! Maybe i am too newbie to recognize standard legs on long arms? But they look like they are going no where and built to last!!
    You already have a great set up and i am sure it will be even better in your own shed!!

First I want to say how nice your son is, to want you to make something he appreciates that you do, for a friend. He sounds sweet.
    Also, I think most of us get that 'Mom, I need you to make...' And usually not that much notice either.
    I love your stash! I had to show my husband.😉 I also love the quilt design you came up with. Can you show a close up of the points on the deer? I would like to know how you applied them bc they look so sharp.
    Also, would love to know the LA you have and name of that study looking frame. Chances of me ever owning one are slim to none, but yours looks great.
    I'm glad the girl like her quilt and appreciates both of your thoughtfulness.

Fantastic quilt! What a gift you gave this young woman!

Also love your fabric storage; very neat.....until you can get realize your long term plan of a shed all your own!

Quote Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
    That's a stunning quilt - very creative! And I'm so glad she loved it. I see so many stories online from quilters who worked sooooo hard on a quilt and put their heart and soul into making a meaningful gift.... all for the person to mumble a "thanks" and use it to put oily car parts on in the garage.
    I believe when you give a quilt it is theirs to do with as they will, it is no longer my quilt. I was driving along one day and had to stop to take this photo a few years ago. Could not help cringe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lovely quilt. I know it felt good to sew again! I am impressed with your sewing room and storage. Shelves are certainly better than moving boxes! Happy quilting.

Power Poster
    Well thought out and well done!

I am glad the recipient was appreciative!

Quote Originally Posted by toogie View Post
    First I want to say how nice your son is, to want you to make something he appreciates that you do, for a friend. He sounds sweet.
    Also, I think most of us get that 'Mom, I need you to make...' And usually not that much notice either.
    I love your stash! I had to show my husband. I also love the quilt design you came up with. Can you show a close up of the points on the deer? I would like to know how you applied them bc they look so sharp.
    Also, would love to know the LA you have and name of that study looking frame. Chances of me ever owning one are slim to none, but yours looks great.
    I'm glad the girl like her quilt and appreciates both of your thoughtfulness.

I have done a couple of "Mom, can you?" quilts for son#2. He's a needy child. LOL! I love doing them though. He challenges my creativity.

I did fusible applique on the animals with a small zig-zag stitch around everything.

I have a Juki TL-2010Q on a Gracie King Frame (they don't make this frame anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by Friday1961 View Post
    Fantastic quilt! What a gift you gave this young woman!

Also love your fabric storage; very neat.....until you can get realize your long term plan of a shed all your own!
    The room all of this is in could be my she shed if we took the bed out of it. Its a fairly large room. The room will be empty when we move that frame out of there. lol. I am loving this storage option though. For now, it works beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    What a creative quilt! She’ll love it. About the organizing - I hope you have better luck than me on keeping it all so nice.
    LOL!! My biggest problem with my crates on the floor will be the cat hair. I have a stuffed animal in one of the crates sitting on top of the fabric just to keep the cats from sleeping on it. Hoping the old house sells sooner than later so we can get started on the room where the cats can't get too.

You fulfilled the tall order for a quilt in a perfectly lovely way.

Having been through a move less than 5 years ago, I can see you had a monumental project moving all that stuff, and no, you won't need the exercise ball for awhile yet. I lost 20 pounds without really trying. I don't have a quilt stash anything like yours, but moving it was work, and I also sorted and packed hundreds of books. A lot were donated to the library book sale, but they still had to be handled and boxed and carried downstairs and out to the driveway and then loaded on a library cart when I got there. Then those that were moved had to be put away, more than half of them upstairs. I had to do it myself because I was the decision maker about which ones went where.

The weight came back after all that was done. Perhaps we need to move again. Groan.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast