Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My "French Braid" Quilt >

My "French Braid" Quilt

My "French Braid" Quilt

Old 10-07-2007, 05:23 PM
lin

I picked the two main colors based on what my son told me she liked (peach and turquoise). Then I picked an extra color (the purples and purply-maroons) to make it a bit more dynamic. I thought it really needed more than two colors.

Don't let choosing colors intimidate you. Go with what you like the best, and if you have to add another color or two, go with the colors you like next. I've found that most colors will compliment each other in a quilt. You will simply change the "tone" of the quilt by what you choose to place in the same quilt.

I was intimidated by colors too when I first began, and then I read a wonderful book called Color Magic for Quilters by Ann Seely & Joyce Stewart. It really opened my eyes to all the possibilities available for mixing and blending colors! I would recommend this book highly.

Thank you so much for your nice comments. :)
Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 AM

I can't see the photo.... help..... it sounds beautiful, don't want to miss it. Quiliter 1234
Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 PM

I don't see a link to the quilt or a picture in your message. What am I missing?

Diane
Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 AM
lin

quilter and dmackey~I don't know why you can't see the picture. I added it as an attachement, not a link. You should be able to see it. It's not on the first page anymore...it's a page back (maybe two now?) from this one. Maybe that's where the problem is. I should have reposted it in the original post.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:39 AM

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the reply. I had not looked at the 3rd page when I sent the message, and low and behold, there it was. :oops:

I'm so glad I was able to view it. It is absolutely spectacular and your choice of colors is just impeccable.

I immediately thought of Michael Miller's Fairy Frost as a great group of fabrics to make such a quilt. Guess I will have to buy the book and put that quilt on my ever growing list of quilts I want to make!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Diane
Old 10-09-2007, 02:14 PM
lin

Thank you for the compliment dmackey. :)
I've never heard of the Fairy Frost fabrics (say THAT five times fast! LOL). I wish I knew what it looked like. If you ever get to do this quilt, please!!!...post a pic for all of us to drool over. :D
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 PM

"Fairy Frost" is a fabric line from Michael Miller. If you go to equilter.com and put "fairy Frost" in the search box, you will see swatches of it. Click on any swatch and when the window opens, scroll down and then click on the related products button. That will bring up all the swatches and colors. They are gorgeous colors in lots of related colors, light to dark, and perfect for the quilt. Another line of fabric that is very similar is by Hoffman and I think it is called Reflections, but can't remember for sure.

Diane
Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM
lin

Omigosh Diane. I want them. All of them. Right now. Three yards minimum!!!! :lol:

Those are truly gorgeous and would make a beautiful French Braid. I was only half joking above. I bookmarked the site and will be going back to order one of these days soon. Thanks for directing me to this fabulous fabric! My next FB (which will be mine all mine LOL) will be from these fabrics! We'll have to share pics for sure if each of us makes one from these. I'm thinking the "stanined glass" version would be perfect for these fabrics. :)
Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 AM

Lin,

I just remembered the name of the Hoffman fabrics. It is called Fusions and they have quite a few of the gradient designs. The print that I have used in the past was tiny sprigs of leaves in the designs but I don't see any on equilter. My local shop just purchased the whole line after seeing a baby quilt top that I had done using some of the fabric in five shades of blue. I had gotten the fabric at the Lowell Quilt Festival in MA.

When I walked into that same store and saw a cobalt blue Fairy Frost, I fell in love with the line. I saw a few colors there, but a web search showed me that there was many and they are just stunning. This is one fabric line that anyone would want lots of yardage of each color.

I'm not very good at selecting colors for quilts, but these fabrics make it so much easier for me. They cost big money, but if I am going to make a quilt, then I want it to be heirloom and gorgeous, not just something to throw around. I have so little time to sew, and I want the effort to be worth it.

I get the equilter news letter and each week, there are about 300 new fabrics, so it is a great way to see what is new, but it is awful that I can't afford to purchase everything I love. I have to stick to my monthly quilting budget and that is way to low to satisfy my hunger! LOL!

Diane
Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 AM

Lin

Here is a link to the Robert Kaufman (I mistakenly thought it was Hoffman) fabrics called Fusion. They are just gorgeous too!

http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi You will have to put Fusions in the search box.

Diane